ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

sonny172cup "track car to race car project"

This did make me laugh

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1392753624.427488.jpg

WRX
There's 1 or 2 parts missing:

Time spent rowing with wife about how much you've spent.
Time spent listening to wife moaning that you love that car more than her.

WRX
Lol, she mentioned the car so you ditched her?
In all honesty my better half has contributed a lot so I am grateful.

Been off work past week, manage to slowly get a few more jobs done on the Clio ready for Aprils first race at Rockingham.

Recap, I removed the gear box to be sent off to Matt at CodeRed to be fettled with, this should be back very soon.

In the mean time I conducted a few other jobs. I had a small oil leak around the crank oil seal and possibly sump gasket area, so these was both renewed along with the thermostat housing gasket. While the thermostat housing was off I decided to give it a good clean.

Oil leaking into sump area

Area cleaned up with new crank seal in place

Thermostat housing clean up and new gasket (these can leak oil due to the oil way)...Thank Dinger, every day is a learning day ;)

As the old flywheel was contaminated I decided to upgrade to a TTV lightened and balanced billet flywheel, also purchased a new Valeo clutch just in case

I removed the old 438 cams and newish phase shifter (600miles) from my old engine to go back in...might as well make the best with what I have got, these will prob be timed to 421's...

All round brake discs and pad refresh, thanks George (G172)

..and over the past month I have been adding a second colour to break the blue up, I decided to use white, as this will compliment the white wheels and stickers. I think it goes well/ I also added a 3rd bonnet pin to stop the bonnet flexing at high speeds.

New style larger intake vent was created

Next on the list is driver floor panel :approve:

Thanks for reading.

Those on Instagram can follow the build at 78motorsport

Last edited:
The third bonnet pin, do you get much flexing of the front? I have seen mine move when looking in the rear view mirror when towing at 60 mph, I'll have to watch Sam at Snetterton see how much it moves when going past the pit wall.

Great work, got a test practice day planned?

Cup In bits
Your becoming a pro with the tools eh Sonny :)

Are you putting a some more contrasting white on there? its looking really smart now. Maybe side strips white.

The third bonnet pin, do you get much flexing of the front? I have seen mine move when looking in the rear view mirror when towing at 60 mph, I'll have to watch Sam at Snetterton see how much it moves when going past the pit wall.

Great work, got a test practice day planned?

Yes loads of flex, as I'm running the KTeC ITB in order to run a better filter you have to cut the underside of bonnet, even if its a GRP one like mine, this is causing it to flex. I heard that Snetterton is clamping down on bonnet fastening, a mate who runs a Clio cup racer was told that he had to instal a 3rd bonnet pin when he was racing in the MSVTDT.

Im hoping to do a test day at Rockingham in mid March or at Brands,
Im still looking at a few yet..

Your becoming a pro with the tools eh Sonny :)

Are you putting a some more contrasting white on there? its looking really smart now. Maybe side strips white.

Haha yes I am, and certainly getting to know my around this engine...

Funnily I put white on the side strips and it looked tacky, possibly due to the lack of bullets, so removed it. I was thinking about adding it to the lower seal instead as I think that would look better.

Looking good mate, can't say I've noticed my fg bonnet flapping even with the underside cut out for the filter. It did an oulton when the bonnet pin came loose but that's another story!
russ

Hmmm well I only noticed it from track side pics, if you look at my Flickr page (in profile sig) you will see the bonnet opening up at high speed. I never actually saw the bonnet flapping from driver view.

Last edited:
Tried to make the most of the 1 hour dry spell today, and cranked on with some small jobs on the car.

Pete got me in the mood for getting round to fitting my wide angle rear view mirror, was a straight fit and was amazed how well it exposes the passenger side blind spot.

image8_zps41099fd5.jpg

Fitted the TTV lightweight flywheel and brand new clutch

image10_zpsf9c1f549.jpg

Replaced front brake discs, the old ones was 2 years old and had pretty much seen a lot of track day miles, surprised that they hadn't had worn down.

image12_zps50062b00.jpg

image11_zps5722624c.jpg

Also ordered a Mylaps transponder with 1 year subscription (£130), thanks for the heads up Dinger (over on TARC).

image9_zpsc8adb5ff.jpg

Other small jobs, I have continued the white theme onto the door sills and does look better, also added door straps to the lightweight doors.

So getting there....

Going to book a test day at Rockingham on the 20th March :approve:

Now for the downer...the Range Rover threw a hizzy fit last week, the air compressor system failed, this is needed to raise/lower the suspension, I actually use this feature when towing, esp when backing onto my drive. Also its 2 months behind a major service (plugs, fluid, brake fluid) So I had them both done today....got a phone call to say the selector seal on the gear box was weeping and needed renewing (£250) and also the front ARB bushes are worn too...

So the ARBs can wait, but got the gear box seal done, as I will need this car to tow the race car, if this dont work then I aint going racing...suppose this is the hidden costs of motorpsort.

So bill tomorrow will be about £1250... This mean I had to put the cars remap and cams off until next month (after Rockingham) in time for Castle Combe....(a circuit I actually know well) :)

WRX
Lucky on the transponder Sonny, TSL have just stopped the one year subs model and gone to two year minimum, so I was told Friday.

WRX
Don't think you need to worry as you buy it as a package don't you. Essentially you can't buy a 1 year transponder from them. Not sure whether the other suppliers are the same.

182 track, Mk7 ST
Love how this is coming along, seen loads of it on Instagram too! Are you heading out to the 'Ring or Spa with it this year?

Bring it to brands for a play ;)

As much as I would love to, Im working nights all this week, and tomorrow I will be putting the box back in.

BTW it seems that the 37 gear was packaged wrong from the factory, as me and Matt looked on the database today at all the codes/part numbers...just my luck. Adams working on it....

I will be at Rockingham for a test day next week (20th March).

182 track, Mk7 ST
That's fair enough Sonny, can imagine its not cheap! I'm tempted to give the Tricolore Trophy a go next year or the year after maybe.

The swifts seem a good laugh, a few mates have used them when we've been over there but I've always had mine with me so not felt the need to hire one, quick little buggers though, very well setup and mod selection!