ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Sir_Dave - Project Track Shed

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
Ouch.

Can you see any of it?

Yeah, can see it sat there, just inside the block, sodding thing.

I blame Ollie entirely tbh, he broke it :rolleyes:

Going to buy a tap & tie set today & ask Danny to sort it. Although i think ill
have to strip the front end down to get the drill in there :(

Feel free to pop over tonight & laugh at it if you like.

So thats how you make a manifold change a 3 hour job? :p Bad luck on that one :( It will come out its just annoying wondering how to get it out. Maybe an excuse to get the head off ;) Do a bit of polishing while its off?

Saab 93 Aero Wagon
I do feel slightly guilty :dapprove: EVEN THOUGH the bolt was the consistency of cheese.....and Nick backs me up when i say it took literally no effort to undo.....i only had to hang off my 24 inch breaker bar twice.;)

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
Serves him right for not wanting to get his hands dirty!

True. Although quite what you were getting your fingers into whilst we were working on the car is anyones guess ;) slacker.

Ollie - dont feel guilty ill just do the same to your 106 when im fitting your brakes
Nick - hurry up & collect that sodding saxo, i want to rip things out of it!!

M

mini-valver

If there is enough thread, wind 2 nuts on it, tighten them together and use the inner one to undo the stud. Tried and tested. It wont even be super tight!

330i. E30 Touring.
I'm willing Nick to pick up the Saxo, too! Bring on the J4 trio, tbh. Plus, his standard exhaust is going to see more cars than we all thought possible!

Ollie, when you (inevitably) decide you're going 16v I've got some GTi four-stud struts (amongst a shed full of bits!) you can have!

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
Big update time.

As im sure you guessed, last time Ollie, Nick & I had a play with the car, we managed to snap one of the manifold bolts off in the head (well Ollie did) so whilst we managed to get the new lambda, catalytic convertor & the raceland 4-2-1 manifold on, it would all have to come back off again ….

So last Saturday, Mike (Budgie) and Ollie (Ollie82.) came over to progress the beast, whilst Nick pussied out with ‘illness’.

Obviously, we needed to get the bolt out 1st, so we enlisted the help of an ‘expert’, ie my ‘legendary to local members’ housemate, Danny, who kindly took 30 minutes out from his busy schedule to sort out our previous f*ck up.

Now, we don’t mess about when it comes to stripping a car down, so after about 2 minutes the shed looked like it had been in an accident!!

DSC02442.jpg

Two seconds later, Danny had grabbed the drill & was attacking the head like a man possessed. Well, as possessed as you can get with an £8 B&Q 12V drill …

DSC02444.jpg

Ollie was as helpful as ever lol:

DSC02446.jpg

Shortly afterwards we were faced with 10 clear bolt holes, that Danny then cleaned out with the 8mm taps. Lovely:

DSC02445.jpg

At this point, Mike turned up so whilst he helped Ollie & Danny re-fit the manifold, cat & lambda, I decided it was time to cook everyone a bacon & egg sarnie, after all we had been working for about an hour!!

After stuffing our faces, it was brake time, Mike got on with fitting the Gti6 master cylinder, whilst Ollie got the drill out. Yes, another bolt had stuck, this time the disc retaining screw on the driver’s side. Oops.

Quite an impressive transformation though!!

Naff brakes before:
DSC02447.jpg

Huge brakes after:
DSC02448.jpg

Should stop fairly well, it’s a combination of a 23mm Gti6 master cylinder, refurbed Gti6 calipers, new discs & Ferodo DS2500 (clio 1*2 fitment), we couldn’t get the old lines off, so the braided ones will have to wait …

As you can see, there’s not much room for anything much bigger!!
DSC02451.jpg

After that, and after a slight fitting error, ie putting it in the wrong place, we got the OMP lower brace on as well:
DSC02450.jpg

At which point Mike had to go – his girlfriend had been sat patiently, hung over, in the living for the best part of 5 hours & I think she was getting a tad bored … and Ollie needed to scoot off as well, so we put shed back in the garage. Bless it, such an evil looking little b4stard:

DSC02452.jpg

DSC02453.jpg

So, all that’s needed now is:

1. Fit rear discs, pads & drivers side abs sensor
2. Bleed brake system
3. Refill & bleed coolant
4. Bolt in roll cage
5. Fit harnesses
6. Service

Then I can MOT it, hopefully pass & get the Bilsteins/Faulkners fitted …

After a slight debarcle, ie waiting a month for some harnesses, for them to turn up & be wrong, I got angry, swore at people & phoned Demon Tweeks.

£150 later & a pair of these bad boys arrived at work, yum:
DSC02489.jpg

Again, thanks to Ollie, Mike & Danny, great mates & very obedient slaves ;)

Maybe a 172 Cup..
This is gonna be hardcore mate. Very under-estimated even in STD form, so yours'll be awesome. Nothing wrong with the Saxo, everything wrong with the image.

TrackCar & F30 330d
Sounds like fun.

I wrapped one of those manifolds in my kitchen the other day lol. They do look good when they are brand new :)

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
Sounds like fun.

I wrapped one of those manifolds in my kitchen the other day lol. They do look good when they are brand new :)

Ha ha, its great fun!! Wrapping manifolds isnt though, itchy hands FTL ...

what size discs are they? they look alot bigger than my 266mm.

They're 283mm Gti6 ones, 266mm are fitted to 206 Gti's and normal model 306's ... they're most commonly used on Vtr's & Rallye's as they fit under the standard 14's. Gti6 ones need 15's at least :D

Herr Flick

aka Herman Ze German
so what is the standard size discs??
you car is so far ahead of mine.. lol
all iove done is the front brakes and suspension (yes you were right)

Saab 93 Aero Wagon
Im rather proud of this little car now.:approve:

Although im sure that will wear off the moment it outbrakes me into a corner at Llandow.....:rolleyes:;)

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
so what is the standard size discs??
you car is so far ahead of mine.. lol
all iove done is the front brakes and suspension (yes you were right)

Standard is 247mm iirc. And yes, i heard about your suspension issues lol, i had a phone call from Ollie & he had a hint of panic in his voice ...

Im rather proud of this little car now.:approve:

Although im sure that will wear off the moment it outbrakes me into a corner at Llandow.....:rolleyes:;)

lol, i predict that hitting the anchors will be like dropping an anchor/parachute out of the boot!!! To be honest, as you've built half of it, im sure ill let you have a little play at some point .... If i can have a go in the cup to compare. Not that i can reach the pedals mind you.

330i. E30 Touring.
I'm jealous of the spec of this little weapon! In just about every area, it's awesome!

So much car, for so little money!

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
I'm jealous of the spec of this little weapon!

I'm jealous of your cams though, & the fact that yours is closer to being roadworthy!!!

Dave i cant belive you paid RRP for harness's, Your the king of ebay! what happend to you man!

I got shafted effectively, i bought some OMP '3"' harnesses off a guy on Sax-P, they finally turned up after a month and they were 2" ones - i mean, seriously the difference between the two isnt rocket science lol. So in a fit of rage i simply called Demon Tweeks ...

The ones i've got aren't generally available secondhand as they are a bit of an odd harness choice tbh. Most red button ones are 2" wide & only OMP do the 3" ones with a normal, MOT friendly red button. Also, the 3"ers are roughly the same price as the normal FIA aircraft buckle ones, so most people would just go for them - but they do my head in!!

So i had to make do with the Demon Tweeks 10% CS discount only :(

Last edited:
Looks good matey, starting to get somewhere. Sorry I couldnt make it as i've been feeling like death, found out I had a broncial infection so didnt wana give any of you guys it! Not long til llandow now though :)

Brakes look nice ;) Very blingy in gold lol

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
Bling bling baby ;)

Refitted the radiator & bled the coolant system last night with the help of my ever helpful slave Ollie. Unfortunately, with the car being sat in the garage since September, the battery was rather flat ... so after charging it for a while, we had out 1st attempt at starting it, & after a few odd noises, it got going nicely :D

And then the alarm kicked in, with Ollies head next to the siren. At which point i remembered that the central locking/alarm fob didnt work too well, secondly i think i had removed the sensor as part of the 'stripping process'. Cue 10 minutes of taking the battery on & off trying to reset it, before we found the disarm switch on the dash :eek:

So we ran it up for 25 minutes, bled it all out & choked on poisonous fumes in the garage. Hopefully the emissions are a bit better now with the new cat & lambda, certainly less smoke & stink now!!

Now just need to sort the rear discs/pads, fit the drivers side abs sensor, bleed the system & bolt in the cage. As it happens, I completely forgot that i had no brakes & nearly ran Ollie over getting it back in the garage ... :rolleyes: