ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Service - 2001 1.2 16v Cam Belt

Renault clio mk2
Going to put my car in for a cam belt change is there anything else I should get done whilst they are doing that?

Also roughly how much should it cost bearing in mind I am going to an independent garage not a dealer!

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
you MUST replace the waterpump on the 1.2 16v engine when the belts get done, they WILL be already or about to start leaking, and will 100% NOT make it till the next cambelt is due so id get it done for the sake of an extra £50 or so belt and waterpump at an independant garage, i wouldnt be paying anymore than £200 and thats at the max! its a piss easy job on that engine i can do it with my eyes closed

@rt

Veccy 1.9 cdti
I just got quoted nearly £500 for cam + aux belt service, with changing the water pump.

from an independant aswell.

this sky high then?

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
1.2 16v? yes, belts i cant remember from the top of my head but cant see them being any more than £40 for the kit non genuine, and a genuine pump last time i checked was around £60 be cheaper going non genuine however ive never used a non genuine pump so dunno if they are worth it or not., labour 2hr max @ what £40ph so id be questioning anything over £200 for belt and pump alone, add a service onto that and your looking at £300 or there abouts absolute max

@rt

Veccy 1.9 cdti
1.2 16v? yes, belts i cant remember from the top of my head but cant see them being any more than £40 for the kit non genuine, and a genuine pump last time i checked was around £60 be cheaper going non genuine however ive never used a non genuine pump so dunno if they are worth it or not., labour 2hr max @ what £40ph so id be questioning anything over £200 for belt and pump alone, add a service onto that and your looking at £300 or there abouts absolute max

Thanks v.much for that mate!

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
also keep in mind the "aux" belt on the 1.2 16v is just a wee tiny thing that goes to the alternator (never done one with AC right enough if that applys to you) they have no tensioner etc so cost about 40p to replace lol

1.2 16v clio sport
i think i need to get mine changed. its on 57,000 1.2 2001 and I think its on the orignal one!!!

maynard

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172 track car
for what the pump costs, you may aswell stick one on. peace of mind and all that!