ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Scott's Super Clean PH1 172 Project Thread

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Is it the Monster 4 you are going for then? Those motorsport calipers do look amazing.
It will be them or the race ones mate, i like the Billet 4's because they come in sliver but i like the race ones because Race and they look awesome. 😂

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
The only thing bothering me is the 'hi spec sticker' that colour without would like nice and subtle.

Yes i know what you mean mate, its not a sticker. Its machined into the caliper, RenaultSport would be better but im sure they wont do it.

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Monster 4s in silver imo. Monster 6 is a bit overkill! The R132 is the race version of the monster 4 and needs more maintenance. Ask them if they'll do them so the writing is there but doesn't stand out (a bit like the economy finish on the billet 4).

Even better if they can do something like the suggestion above

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
They might do the calipers with nothing on, if that's the case then i could stick the Renaultsport sticker onto them. Im really loving the race caliper but they are expensive.
Hopefully ill get a call from Hi-Spec today.

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
In 4 pots with stainless pistons they are £281 each + vat in 6 pot they are £342 each + vat
With alloy pistons they are about £30 cheaper.

Where as the Monster 4's are £217 each + vat and the Monsters 6's are £280 each + vat

That's not as much as I was expecting. Similar price to Willwood items. Any idea how they compare?

But I guess the bell and rotas add up to a lot in part of a full kit.

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
I couldn't remember what the billet 4 calipers ran, pads wise. I knew they was from another car and I did think Volvo but couldn't remember the model. Thanks for the reference ;)

Are you going to change anything else brakes wise Scott, ie master cylinder etc? Also what pads will you be getting? I'd imagine you'll want something that bites well but gives off very little dust. Not sure what is out there for them.

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
That's not as much as I was expecting. Similar price to Willwood items. Any idea how they compare?

But I guess the bell and rotas add up to a lot in part of a full kit.
Yes mate they do make the kit alot more expensive, but not as much as the Willwood 2 piece kit. Just the bells and rotas are £600 for the Willwoods.

Ive never seen a Willwood caliper but id say that the Hi-spec race caliper is miles better, when i was say to the chap at Hi-spec about the Willwood kit and that it costs £1200 he didn't seem very impressed.
Id say the Willwoods are on par with the Hi-spec Billet 4's which are £156 each + vat.

Many.
I'd suggest a larger Master Cylinder for any 4pot etc, moreso the 6pots. Marks isn't right and I can only put it on needing a larger MC.

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
I couldn't remember what the billet 4 calipers ran, pads wise. I knew they was from another car and I did think Volvo but couldn't remember the model. Thanks for the reference :wink:

Are you going to change anything else brakes wise Scott, ie master cylinder etc? Also what pads will you be getting? I'd imagine you'll want something that bites well but gives off very little dust. Not sure what is out there for them.
Ive had the MC thing in the back of my mind mate but was hoping not to have to change it. I haven't read of anyone else who has fitted 4 pots and then had to fit a larger MC.
However if that's going to be the case then i larger MC will have to be bought. There's no point in spending alot of money on 4 pots only for them to be worse than standard.

I'd suggest a larger Master Cylinder for any 4pot etc, moreso the 6pots. Marks isn't right and I can only put it on needing a larger MC.
Alex what MC should i be buying if i need to? I won't be going 6 pots as its far to much for a road car.

Many.
My thougths ref MC is, I admit, in my limited experiance, that they do require a larger cylinder to retain the same pedal feel (well, actually its a lack of movement) than the standard calipers do so well.

It depends on what you want to do with brake lines, have a search around (Its quite well covered on here), as 197 is an option, as is Pug 406 V6, depending on amounts of ports etc. I'm personally using a 406 V6 one for my Flamer. You can retain the clio reservoir on all of them, which I know you'll be glad about.

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator
Pug 406 v6 MC didn't fit with mine for some reason. How did you get yours to mate Alex?

I tried with my recent brake upgrade. Unless it was the MC that was wrong...

@Ricardos - my brakes being on fire at Oulton seems to go against your assertions 4 pots are overkill :wink:

Ricardos

ClioSport Club Member
  LY 200 EDC
@Cub. I have my doubts, there's more than 1 factor in that equasion that would make that happen i.e driving style and braking etiquette for starters.

Decent brake fluid, braided hoses and good track pads.... Works for me

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator
I agree on more than one factor, and I'm the first to admit, I'm hard on the brakes. :smile:

I wouldn't say I have bad braking etiquette / style, I just try to hold as much speed into the corner as possible, meaning the brakes work quite hard. I am carrying more weight though :)

Many.
I've done nothing to make mine fit. Just fiddled brake lines. Couldn't use reservoir which sucked as it has outlet for clutch too.

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator
Carbon Lorraine RC5 pads are ideal for that

Put it like this. I'd rather have too much braking and not need it, than not enough :)

I didn't try the RC5, I had DS3000's and the brake squeal in Wales made me and 3 others cry. It was awful! Lol!

I'll see how it runs at a Bedford. @AlexW - that's interesting bud, as my one (406 cylinder and Cup brake setup) had completely the wrong 'mating' setup.

Clio RS
I have no plans to sell it mate, but i do keep on looking at Scoobys.

Ive owned the car for 5 years now, i also have a family. With my boys being 11 and 12 we find the Clio to small to go out in, so i find myself using it on my own (i only use the car on sunny days and for fun) It would be nice to have something bigger and faster as my "Toy"

But as i say its not for sale, as id be gutted to see it go.
I have both, clio as a daily, scooby for summer or good weather toy
but my son is only 2.
anyway, no plans for selling either here. if the son gets to old for the car, it's the misses who can buy something bigger than here corsa then :)

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
I have both, clio as a daily, scooby for summer or good weather toy
but my son is only 2.
anyway, no plans for selling either here. if the son gets to old for the car, it's the misses who can buy something bigger than here corsa then :)

Ive just bought the misses a Volvo S40 so we are okay now.

I still think about something faster though.

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Starting to run out of things to do on the Clio now, however i needed to replace the lambda sensor for the new one that i bought from Marc.
Nice and easy job to do and the Clio seems to run alot better but the real test will be when i get it back on the road. Fingers crossed it won't stall when coming to a standstill anymore.

16168309548_b628587977_z.jpg
Untitled by scottieraven, on Flickr

16168305158_15d8bbf43a_z.jpg

Fitted the rear wheels back on but i can't put the fronts on until ive got my new brakes, another silly job ive been meaning to do is to clean up and give the jacking points a coat of paint.
I went round all four giving them some love, just got to hope that the MOT guy doesn't use them next time. (he wont as i stay with the car and he knows how fussy i am) :blush:

:smile:
15733485914_5f379dd483_z.jpg

Snappy has my spare steering wheel so im waiting on that to come back, im sure it will look amazing. :smile:

Scott, this is a loooong thread, I've gone back a few pages and got impatient haha.
What coilovers are you on currently? IIRC you had a set on and replaced them for a better set, what were the previous set, much improvement with the current?
Looking into coilover options atm, was thinking B14's but BC's aren't much more and have damping adjustment.
@Dr Jekyll you have the BC's... thoughts?

Inferno 225 cup
Scott, this is a loooong thread, I've gone back a few pages and got impatient haha.
What coilovers are you on currently? IIRC you had a set on and replaced them for a better set, what were the previous set, much improvement with the current?
Looking into coilover options atm, was thinking B14's but BC's aren't much more and have damping adjustment.

Scott has ktec coilovers mate, the ride is fantastic.

Reminds him of an old scratchy fanny 400 he had a fews years back...

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Hey bud, i had the Spax RSX kit with damping adjustment but sold them on after 8 months because they where crap and didn't weather very well (where going rusty when i don't use the car in the rain)
So ive now got the Bilsteins, they have the inverted front dampers. The kit isn't damping adjustable but tbh you don't need it (its just more to mess with) the build quality is spot on.
On the road they are great and not crashy at all, they also drop the car lower than the Spax did.

I love them mate.

Scott has ktec coilovers mate, the ride is fantastic.

Reminds him of an old scratchy fanny 400 he had a fews years back...
Your such a wind. X

haha, I was thinking to myself 'Scott's better than Ktec coilovers' lool!
Cheers for the info dude! If they're good enough for you I think we can safely say they're good enough for 99.9% of Clio owners 😂

But the BC have twisty knobs, and bitches love knobs :laughing:

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
Many people rave about the Bilstiens. They've been around years and on these cars the reviews say that they offer great road comfort and handling and bilstien quality. Never read any bad reviews tbh. The only thing I personally don't like is they don't have powder coated struts. Not a problem if you dont do loads of miles but something to consider if it's a daily.

I've not been out in a Clio with b14's so I can't comment personally but I'm sure you won't find very many negatives. Certainly a top contender if you don't want damping adjustment IMO.

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
There are lots of people on here who have Billies mate, all are very happy with them.

But by all means buy the BC's :smile:

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Hey bud, nothing as yet. I did give Hi - Spec a call a few days after I'd dropped the wheel and bell off to them.

The guy said that the technical guys hadn't looked at it yet so he was waiting for them to get back to him with the info.
He also said he would chase them up, that was last Monday.

I'm starting to think about how good a company they are, this is me wanting to spend money with them and I bet I won't get much change out of £1k so what would it be like if I had a problem?!?!

Maybe it's me over thinking, I understand that they are busy doing lot's of other stuff.
I'll see what happens this week mate, hopefully i'll have some news. [emoji1]

Using 'report post' is a lot quicker than tagging an offline moderator in a post and waiting for them to come online.

Just saying :wink: