ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Scott's Super Clean PH1 172 Project Thread

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Sooooooooooo bloody mint. Wheels look fabulous, as does everything else.

Is the mating face of the alloy powder coated/ painted too?

Cheers mate, yes they are. :yum:

Very very nice mate!

Thank you Ben.

Genuine LOL at how good that looks, it's insane. The new wheels/plated wheel bolts look mental mate.

Thanks dude, i had the bolts plated about 4 years ago when i had the other set of wheels done, thought id get them done again as they where starting to look a little tired. :cool:
Cant be fitting mint wheels with crap looking bolts plus the plating isnt very expensive so it makes perfect sense to get them done. :grinning:

172 cup, Impreza P1
Cheers mate, yes they are. :yum:

The coated faces to the wheels may cause an issue if the wheel ever gets hot such as heavy braking or a wheel bearing issue. The powder melts causing the wheel to come loose as I have experienced first hand with a brown pants moment.

Car looks amazing though and must be THE best condition ph1 out there. Hats off sir!

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
I collected my wheels from JP Polishing a few days before FCS, John swapped my tyres over from the wheels on my car to the spare set he did for me.

15342713577_cbbb3f8e4e_c.jpg
004 by scottieraven, on Flickr

15506209096_d95fb37081_c.jpg
006 by scottieraven, on Flickr

15342711380_8ba1f69af3_c.jpg
007 by scottieraven, on Flickr

I also got John to fit a set of stainless steel valves that id had in my garage for a while, i think they look smart.

15506188386_4364fe0213_c.jpg
011 by scottieraven, on Flickr

While the wheels where off i sent the bolts away to be plated.

15342475089_f35edf88a4_c.jpg
002 by scottieraven, on Flickr

Car looks f**king amazing!!

Has that wheel got an ever slight buckle in it? Third image down?

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
I always thought the mating face had to be clean/clear so that wheels wouldn't come lose after heat cycles or something?

The coated faces to the wheels may cause an issue if the wheel ever gets hot such as heavy braking or a wheel bearing issue. The powder melts causing the wheel to come loose as I have experienced first hand with a brown pants moment.

Car looks amazing though and must be THE best condition ph1 out there. Hats off sir!

My last set of wheels where complete powder coated and in the 3 years or so of having them on my car not once did the wheel bolts come loose.
The car will never ever see a track day or do i think i drive it hard enough on the road to get the wheels that hot, however it did cross my mind about cleaning the powder coating off in that area before i fitted the wheels, i didn't in case there was a problem with the wheels bubbling up because id removing some of the coating. :smile:

Car looks f**king amazing!!

Has that wheel got an ever slight buckle in it? Third image down?

No mate, i think its my crap picture taking. Cheers Ant. :smile:

Wow that is perfect!

I'm going to see if there's a platers local to me as all those bolts look amazing.

Do it mate, makes such a difference. :cool:

Absolutely in love with this.

Thanks dude. :up:

172 cup, Impreza P1
My last set of wheels where complete powder coated and in the 3 years or so of having them on my car not once did the wheel bolts come loose.
The car will never ever see a track day or do i think i drive it hard enough on the road to get the wheels that hot, however it did cross my mind about cleaning the powder coating off in that area before i fitted the wheels, i didn't in case there was a problem with the wheels bubbling up because id removing some of the coating. :smile:

If its never on track or pushed on the road, it'll never be an issue. As you say, it will help with corrosion protection leaving it on.

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Today i had a little bit of time so i went to my garage and started to paint the new ish drive shafts that i had bought from PH1 Tom a few months ago.

15446322869_a693110767_c.jpg
015 by scottieraven, on Flickr

If all goes well they will be fitted over the winter when the gearbox comes out to have a diff fitted. :cool:

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
So i thought id give a little bit of an up date to my thread, i haven't driven the car in about 8 weeks. Its just sat on the drive way covered up with the wheels off.
I don't think ill be removing the gearbox and fitting a diff as we are trying to save up to move into a bigger house and knowing me it won't just be the gearbox ill do.

Ill end up getting the sub-frame powder coated and replacing everything that looks worn, i've also bought the misses a bigger car to run the kids about in, its only an old Volvo S40 but its a million times better that the Corsa she has had for the last 6 years.
However i am thinking about buying the 4 pot brake kit that Chris does but this will have to wait until the new year. :smile:

Today i took the cover off to give the car some sunshine and to also do a few silly little jobs.

First up was changing the "cliosport.net" sticker on the right side of the window and replacing it with a "CS" sticker, ive also fitted a new sticker to the left which i like.
15986460516_c70511dc41_c.jpg
029 by scottieraven, on Flickr

The rear bumper bolts where looking a little worn so i have removed them and given the a coat of black paint, so much better.
16012292915_a237e51d08_c.jpg
036 by scottieraven, on Flickr

16012287795_dca5128764_c.jpg
050 by scottieraven, on Flickr

:cry:
15826507397_7b318e1172_c.jpg
019 by scottieraven, on Flickr

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
This update makes me sad :(

Mind you, we need a bigger house really but the new one will be a second house which undoubtedly means the Clio will go. So no diff is much better than no Clio!

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
This update makes me sad :(

Mind you, we need a bigger house really but the new one will be a second house which undoubtedly means the Clio will go. So no diff is much better than no Clio!
I know mate, I bet you was expecting the gearbox to be out and a set of 4 pots? [emoji3]

Does this live outside all the time?
Lovely looking car mate.
Yes dan, it does mate. Has done in the 5 year's ive owned it.
Hopefully the next house I get will have a garage to keep it in.
I miss not seeing this today. Hope you're good bud x
Miss you to mate, hope you had a good night bud.

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Thank you pal, yes im a great believer in "less is more". I do think about selling it and buying something bigger with boost but then i take the cover off and change my mind. :yum:

Golf 7.5R & Clio 200
Thank you pal, yes im a great believer in "less is more". I do think about selling it and buying something bigger with boost but then i take the cover off and change my mind. :yum:

I went through this thread with Megan earlier. We have both decided we need to factor in the cost of buying this off you when we buy our first house together ;-)

Love it mate.

SQ5
We need a bigger house, but I'd happily stop that for a year so I could have this car and save a little extra later ;)

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
I went through this thread with Megan earlier. We have both decided we need to factor in the cost of buying this off you when we buy our first house together ;-)

Love it mate.

Thank you mate and thank you for taking the time to read it all.
Haha, its not all about the money mate (but it won't be getting given away) for me its also about it going to the right buyer. It will have to go to a owner who has the funds to look after it and treat it right. It will be priced so the idiots won't be able to afford it. (bearing in mind that Budgie/Mike sold a standard PH1 for 4k). :smirk:
Ive put 5 years of my life into this car so i would want the next owner to love it too, a V6 owner would properly be a good buyer. :cool:

Time, effort and love which equals the best Clio on this forum.

Credit to you Scott. It's fantastic.

Thanks mate, good ones are getting very hard to find.

If you sell it. I will cry.

A lot.
Hahaha, so will i mate when the day comes. I just hope whatever replaces it will be good fun, that day is miles away yet.

If you do sell it......how much!

Im not ready to sell it yet mate and if i couldn't get what i wanted then i would keep it, its only a thought at the moment.
My kids are 11 and 12 next year so for us all to go out in the Clio is a pain (tbh we don't i just take it out on my own) Until i find the right car to replace it then its not going anywhere. :smile:

We need a bigger house, but I'd happily stop that for a year so I could have this car and save a little extra later :wink:
Thanks Danny, its just finding something good enough to replace it. :smile: