ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Scott's Super Clean PH1 172 Project Thread

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
15124120687_b49d9177e2_b.jpg

Car on the left looks lowered with a splitter? :S

Scott, you know my feelings on this. Perfect ph1 Clio and as many have mentioned, it's a real credit to you mate :)

Peugeot 308
Have been following this thread... Incredible tbh!

Jealous is an understatement... I want another ph1 :disrelieved:

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Have been following this thread... Incredible tbh!

Jealous is an understatement... I want another ph1 :disrelieved:
Thanks alot mate, i keep on toying with the idear of selling it and buying something bigger with boost.

But id be gutted to see it go tbh.

Still cannot believe I haven't seen this in the flesh yet mate!! still to this day do I look
Back at all the OCD ness. Seriously love it.
This year mate, we will have to meet up. :smile:

I think thats the most beautiful Clio I ever seen :smile:
Thank you very much for the nice comment mate. :up:

Peugeot 308
Thanks alot mate, i keep on toying with the idear of selling it and buying something bigger with boost.

But id be gutted to see it go tbh.

Do not even contemplate it! I regret selling my PH1's every single time regardless of what I bought instead.

They were also no where near the quality of yours either! DONT!

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Are you crazy to sell this one?
I have no plans to sell it mate, but i do keep on looking at Scoobys.

Ive owned the car for 5 years now, i also have a family. With my boys being 11 and 12 we find the Clio to small to go out in, so i find myself using it on my own (i only use the car on sunny days and for fun) It would be nice to have something bigger and faster as my "Toy"

But as i say its not for sale, as id be gutted to see it go.

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Get that thought outta your head or I'll make your sh*t turn white and I don't want to do that.
Hahaha, its not going anywhere mate. Tania would kill me.
I just think about having something faster, that i could use a bit more and the boys can fit in the back of easier.
A scooby in my eyes just isn't special, unless a p1

I think you would regret it but I get what your saying
Yes i would, i haven't driven it for 3 months but when i do ill end up loving it again.
I drive the wife mad.

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Been buying a few bits for the Clio, one of the things i wanted to do was to up grade the head light bulbs and after talking to Dr Jekyll (Mark) i decided to go with these.

16066917638_844c6617d8_c.jpg
Untitled by scottieraven, on Flickr

I didn't want something to blue and i didn't want to be able to see the blue bulbs from the front of the car as i think it looks tacky and not the look im after.
Next up was the battery, because the Clio sits for a long time not being used its killed the current battery. This time i thought i would get something better that the Banner one on there at the moment.
I know this sounds stupid but i wanted another black battery although grey would be ok, i saw on the ECP web site that they do a Bosh battery but this was blue.
When i took a trip to ECP and spoke to the sales guy he said that the Exide battery was a better spec and it was grey so i bought it.
The reason for not wanting a blue battery is because it would look odd in the engine bay of the Clio, i don't like bright colours and much prefer the low key OEM look. :blush:

15632048374_a6a872b798_c.jpg

Another thing that needed doing was to replace the lambda sensor, while getting the Clio mapped by Paul at RS Tuning the Clio wouldn't idle. Paul managed to sort it by leaving it running so the ECU would learn, sometimes when driving the Clio hard and coming to a stop it would stall.

Bought this from Marc, £40 delivered which is good.
16288065852_1901230077_c.jpg

There are a few more bits that are in the pipe line which ill be doing to the Clio, one of them is the brakes. :yum:

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
I have fitted the bulbs Mark and they seem better although i haven't driven the car with them.

Ive bought a pair of alloy bells so im going to run a two piece rota and bell set up, not 100% sure what calipers im going to be using yet but i will be going over to pay Hi-spec a visit.

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
They really are good, I need to stick them in my car now I think about it.
They are better than the standard bulbs mate, i have them in my van. I did buy a pair of MTEC H7 which are blue for the main beam but you could see them so i fitted the Osram H7 which arn't so bad.

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Another little update.

After collecting my wheels from JP Polishing i never got the chance to seal them with C5, as ive not driven the car in 3 months i thought it was an ideal opportunity.
The wheels where already off and clean, they just needed to be kept indoors for a few hrs to get to room temperature.

They where given a wipe over with some IPA and then given a coat of Gtechniq C5.
16131651740_8cb43bb119_c.jpg
012 by scottieraven, on Flickr

16131461408_0e01afb505_c.jpg
018 by scottieraven, on Flickr

16293069736_8383372534_c.jpg
022 by scottieraven, on Flickr

Another thing on the car i wanted to change was the steering wheel, i wanted something looking factory. After seeing Jonathan's flame red PH1 and seeing the steering wheel that Snappy had done for him i knew that's exactly what i wanted.
I put up a wanted add for a mint PH1 back seat so that i could remove the cover and this is what i would be sending to Snappy. After an hr long car journey i finally had a mint seat, perfect for my needs.

16284942436_b6ca5569a1_c.jpg

Now it takes quite a while to strip it down just to remove a few bits of alcantara and a bit of leather, after removing the bits i needed i set about chucking them into the washing machine for a wash.
The leather panel has been cleaned with Gliptone liquid leather cleaner and then given a good going over with Gliptone conditioner (smells amazing)

15699159263_9d98d76ba0_c.jpg
006 by scottieraven, on Flickr

This is a picture of the original 172 press cars back in late 1999 had suede / Alcantara trimmed wheel. The picture is from the 1st Dec 1999 copy of Autocar, this was pretty much the first news to hit about the existence of the car.
9537da89-597d-4764-8a13-66648b1d6be1_zpse079e810.jpg

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Thought you had already had the wheel done? haha.
Think I may be loosing the plot 😂
No mate, not yet. :smile:

I've got a brand new genuine wheel
Very nice mate, i did phone Renault years ago when i bought the Clio to find out if they still sold the steering wheels.
They did but there where £165 at the time. I didn't see the point in buying one only for it to fall to bit's again. 😞

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
I had a little present arrive for me today, the alloy bells for my front brakes. I need to get over to Hi-Spec and sort out the rotas and see what calipers i can fit under my wheels.
Thanks again to @Ph1 Tom for these and packing up so well.

15706748423_292de8262f_c.jpg
001 by scottieraven, on Flickr

16140433219_62dc8237e3_c.jpg
007 by scottieraven, on Flickr

16300692436_276397bdf1_c.jpg
008 by scottieraven, on Flickr

These are the calipers i hope to fit. These are the Hi-Spec Monster 4's
2006-07-07Caliper.gif

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
This car is just beautiful...
Thank you Adam, im looking forward to driving it again.

When i was nosing about the hi spec site i thought it said minimum 17" wheel for the monster callipers? They look amazing !
Hey Arran you could be right mate, Hi-Spec isn't far from where i live so im going over to see them today with the bells and an old OZ F1.
My car is on 20mm front spacers and the discs are only going to be 283mm, i know that Willwood do a 295mm kit that fits under 15" wheels so im hoping Hi-Spec can offer the same thing.

I spoke to a guy there the other day and he said for me to bring my bits along and they can put it into there CAD

Are you going black like the picture Scott or silver?
Sliver mate, blacks very nice but won't match the rears. Ill be giving the a coat of C5 to protect them before i fit them. :smile:

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
I got silver ones which are anodized. They to an economy range, but I should have even mentioned and insulted you! Silver is oem.

The black does look sweet though.

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
When i was nosing about the hi spec site i thought it said minimum 17" wheel for the monster callipers? They look amazing !

It depends with what discs. They only have a 21mm calliper height which is less than the standard callipers. The Monster 4 can come with a 330mm disc (minimum 17") or a 300mm (you might get away with the right 15" wheels). The race version of the same calliper can come with 275mm discs which technically you could get 14" wheels to clear if they had enough internal clearance.

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
So my trip over to see the guys at Hi-Spec was a success, i have left one of the bells and my F1 with them and they are going to mock up a disc and caliper and then give me a call tomo hopefully.

While i was over there the guy said that a Monster 4 should fit and even the Monster 6. Now the Monster 4's and 6 use a bigger pad than the Billet 4's.
The Billet 4's pad area is 98mm long x 49.5mm wide where as the Monster 4 & 6 are 132.5mm long x 47mm wide. The Billet 4's use a Volvo 440 pad.
The difference between the Billets and the Monsters is that the Monsters wrap around the disc alot more so clearance shouldn't be an issue, while i was in Hi-spec's shop i noticed they had a race caliper on there display stand which looked pretty amazing. These have a stiffer body but they don't come with dust shields so the guy said the pistons need to be cleaned before they are pushed back into the caliper.

These are only available in black and where there RX132 range.
16146981677_07cddf1c08_c.jpg

The Billet 4's which they can do in a more moden smoother caliper like the bottom picture, i like this style though.
16146691399_02d3af053d_c.jpg

Just a couple of other calipers they offer.
15710444194_c54155d0e8_c.jpg

16332001452_99c23f6b3a_c.jpg