ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Save me from MOT failiure AND DOOM!

Elvis - Biarritz 1.2
So my mot ticks off in a couple of weeks, and obviously I don't particulary feel like failing it.

But the problem is that I am going to fail it.

So any tips tricks that might scrape me through (other than bribery, which might actually be a possibility :quiet: ) would be really appreciated.

The stuff I'm most worried about are:
Tire treads on the fronts... trip to the scrappy should sort that out though.
Brakes... fronts good, but backs sound a little grindy (is that a fail?)
Emissions! OMG! My exhaust occasionaly sounds like it's blowing a little (fail?) but not too much and not all the time :S so hopefully not on test day. But yeah, emissions are my downfall basically. What can I do to not fail, bearing in mind this is 98 1.2 beast. How likely am I to fail on this?
Oh and I have a bad coolant sensor so sometimes the car idles high/low/dies on idle. Again hopefully not on test day. Is it a fail? I'm guessing it's not awesome for emissions.

Will also need to remove the dancing elvis from the windscreen I think.

But is there anything that hits clio's harder than might be thought? I can't think of much else that's dramatically wrong.

Any help appreciated.
THANKS!

CB600FS
Have a look at your drums mate, don't forget they RR the brakes if they're inconsistent both side they'll fail it. Check your wheel cylinders while your at it too.

Get a new exhaust if its blowing, or if your a true pikey get a exhaust repair kit from halfords.

Emissions - Drive it like you stole it for an hour/rag it round a lot in the morning before the MOT get it warm should be alright

Elvis - Biarritz 1.2
Emissions - Drive it like you stole it for an hour/rag it round a lot in the morning before the MOT get it warm should be alright

Is that genuine? Because I was told by someone else to floor it up a hill in like second to 'clear it out'. Does it actually improve the quality of emissions?

Thanks by the way. :)

Chocolate Bar™
^ should help to clear it out. if its regularly thraphed then it doesnt make any difference. if it sits in traffic all day then it does make a difference

MK1 Clio 16v
Don't wanna sound like a miserable old c*nt but i just thought i should say this... an MOT test is there for a reason and is performed every year to ensure your car is roadworthy and safe, for the safety of you and those around you.

Now most those points i'm not too bothered about, the engine with a dodgy idle shouldn't cause problems i don't think, however if you have low tyre tread then get that sorted, and also make sure the brakes are working right.

I've used a local 'friendly' garage to have my car MOT'd and he overlooked things such as an illegal sunstrip, but i would never try and 'bribe' or scrape through an MOT if my brakes were dodgy.

Obviously if you use your car every day and you really don't want it to fail then i've got no problems with you trying to get it through as long as you got all the problems sorted that could potentially cause an accident.

After all, we'd all be quite pee'd off if someone slid into the back of your pride and joy because they had low tread and/or failing brakes.

Not getting at you in any way mate just thought i'd say it!

Hope she passes anyway know what it's like when it comes to MOT time! :)

My 1.2 8v beast passed 1st time last week! Well after a £200 service.

My front brakes are abit low but they will get done at the end of the month. They said there was a couple of k's left in them.

It did fail last year with a blowing exhaust. Not expensive £45 iirc. First they told me the cat had gone and I s**t mesen, but it was just a dodgy seal.

Drive around in 2nd all morning like the Corsa boys and it will be fine (this is actually quite fun, lol). I do agree if your tyre treads are low you should definatley get that changes esp as its coming up to winter, as there is no point killing the king!