ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Rob's F4R'd Dynamique Track Car

BMW E36 328
Re: 1.2 Track car Conversion

Thanks mate kept it pretty quiet really until we got a good start on it, It all seems to be coming togeather now.... just got to rebuild the head tonight with jord and put everything back on the engine and time it up. Then its all ready to drop in lol.

Last edited:

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah you didnt post the topic till well after you had decided, remembered speaking to you about it at the big manc meet when most people had pissed off. If it's you I'm thinking of anyway lol.

Fiesta

Just had a read through now, some work going into that. Keep up the good work mate

Will be good to see it up and running :)

BMW E36 328

Ahhhh... another late night.

Got the head rebuilt tonight, with all new stem seals ect... Head is now back on the block and ready to be sprayed but it got abit too late to carry on.

Will post all the pics up tomorrow when i get time.

Tasty...

P1010871.jpg

Lionel Richie

use a decent headgasket kit dude, i've seen some right shite recently! oh and NEW headbolts, i know what your like ;)

Yeah, used an 'OEM' one as I've done on mine previous times, from the same supplier etc. Should be reet.

The pics don't really show the rocker well, fair amount of 'dirty' oil on them with sh*te/swarf in, gone now anyway... got the matching one with this head which is now on. I think the new head could be a Ph1, but not too sure on the exact differentiating specs/sizes. The actual physical size of the exhaust port on the back of the head is bigger than the scrap (ph2) head, so I'm guessing thats the case?

Thought so, must be then. The dimensions differed quite a bit when I had a quick measure before

BMW E36 328

Hi. Meet Jon my Clio liason manager.

Lol

Thought it was, how do you drive it as a daily? Or did you say you have a work van?

I dont drive it daily mate, yeah have a work van that i use in the week

BMW E36 328

Right last night we rebuilt the new head i got the other day after the one that came on the engine was F*cked. Took a while to do but will be well worth it in the long run.

we took all the valves out of the old head as some of them looked brand new and the others were perfect aswel. We decided to clean them up as we went along.

P1010844.jpg

P1010845.jpg

P1010849.jpg

Once all the valves were out of the scrap head..

P1010846.jpg

It was time to change all the stem seals.

P1010850.jpg

P1010851.jpg

P1010853.jpg

P1010852.jpg

Jord picked up a load of new stem seals for me y'day..

P1010854.jpg

We also decided to change the cam seals since we were changing everything else... last thing we wanted was to put it all back togeather and for those to leak.

P1010855.jpg

P1010859.jpg

Once we had all the stem seals up we mopped up all the old oil so that the seals sat perfect.

P1010856.jpg

P1010857.jpg

P1010858.jpg

Replaced them with all the new seal's. They were quite tricky to get on and off. But with a screwdriver and some long nose pliers we got there lol.

P1010857.jpg

P1010860.jpg

P1010861.jpg

P1010862.jpg

P1010863.jpg

Next it was time to lapp all the valves so that they sat perfectly in the seating of the head.

P1010864.jpg

P1010865.jpg

BMW E36 328

Once the vlaves were all lapped and cleaned up it was time to put everything back into the head.

P1010866.jpg

P1010867.jpg

P1010868.jpg

P1010869.jpg

P1010870.jpg

P1010871.jpg

Once all the valves were done we decided to test them to see if all the valves were seated as they should be.

P1010872.jpg

P1010873.jpg

Once we had all the valves in and the head was ready to go back onto the block we cleaned the top of the block up and put the new head gasket onto it.

P1010875.jpg

P1010876.jpg

P1010878.jpg

P1010879.jpg

Then we dropped the head onto the block, and tightened up the head bolts as said in the renault manual.

P1010880.jpg

P1010881.jpg

Then we put all the tappets and rockors in soaking them in oila as we went as the head was dry.

P1010882.jpg

P1010884.jpg

BMW E36 328

Once everything was in and looked ok we ran sealant all round the top of the head so we could seal the rockor cover.

P1010885.jpg

And then put the head on..... Ahh finally. Hope this doesnt have to come off any time soon lol.

P1010887.jpg

P1010888.jpg

P1010889.jpg

P1010890.jpg

P1010891.jpg

P1010892.jpg

Next we cleaned up the breather plate and put that on. Torqued that up to the correct settings as said by renault.

P1010893.jpg

And there we go. Once complete new head. Took a while but was well worth it. All thats left to do with it is spray the rockor cover but we thought it was best to let the sealant set first. So it was another late night finishing at just after 1am but we got alot done tonight. Lets hope the engine is fine when we go to time it up later on today.

welshname

ClioSport Club Member

cant believe how fast this has come along. absolutely amazing. wish i knew how to do this sort of stuff.

what do you do for a living if you dont mind me asking? is it similar work?

Hes a plumber/gas engineer, lol. I've just been showing him what to do and telling him to do it so he learns as he goes along after doing these engines for years

welshname

ClioSport Club Member

he must have had some prior knowledge surely. things like that amaze me. id much rather be able to rebuild engines and swap engines over and have knowledge of the ECU and what does what in the loom, than build servers, computers and networks.

wanna trade?

Noope really, and I'm sure he will agree, he did not know anything (bar fitting seats and fitting coilovers in the past) before doing the car, never mind the engine. The easiest way to learn is just to do it, as he found out last night. I did the first couple of each process explaining it at the same time then left him to do it - by the last few he knew what he was doing and will remember for the future if he does anything similar again...

When we had started Robs words were 'I want to have go but I don't want to f*ck it up', lol - which it is possible to do if you do it wrong, but if he hadn't had a go he wouldn't have learnt how to do each part. Plus, its pretty hard to f*ck up if you follow instructions/ways of doing things. I know he was glad he had a go of doing the engine as he will appreciate the work thats gone into it when its running, and know that its been done right...

I do networks/servers for a living, which hasn't stopped me doing engines ;)

welshname

ClioSport Club Member

Noope really, and I'm sure he will agree, he did not know anything (bar fitting seats and fitting coilovers in the past) before doing the car, never mind the engine. The easiest way to learn is just to do it, as he found out last night. I did the first couple of each process explaining it at the same time then left him to do it - by the last few he knew what he was doing and will remember for the future if he does anything similar again...

When we had started Robs words were 'I want to have go but I don't want to f*ck it up', lol - which it is possible to do if you do it wrong, but if he hadn't had a go he wouldn't have learnt how to do each part. Plus, its pretty hard to f*ck up if you follow instructions/ways of doing things. I know he was glad he had a go of doing the engine as he will appreciate the work thats gone into it when its running, and know that its been done right...

I do networks/servers for a living, which hasn't stopped me doing engines ;)

YOU MULTI TALENTED b*****d.

Its just a matter of giving it a try - problem is you need time/space/spare money to have a project that goes into that much depth. You'l be surprised how much you learn..

BMW E36 328

he must have had some prior knowledge surely. things like that amaze me. id much rather be able to rebuild engines and swap engines over and have knowledge of the ECU and what does what in the loom, than build servers, computers and networks.

wanna trade?

As jord said, all i have done before is change coilovers, seats, topmounts ect.... never done anything to do with an engine before. Just learning as i go. Just lucky that jord knows what he is doing to guide me through it. Im really enjoying the conversion and learnig what im doing/why were doing it at the same time. And if anything goes wrong in the future ill be able to sort it out myself.

Well it certainly must have been a f*cked head/rocker cover beforehand, as the cams that came with the matching head spin perfectly in it. Whoever built it up must have used parts from anything and everything. Timed it up earlier and span it over numerous times with ease, decent compression - all good to go :approve:

Last edited:
  BMW E36 328

Think were going to get the engine in and running tonight if all goes to plan.

BMW E36 328

So once the engine was togeather and the paint had set we started to time the engine up. I painted the rockor cover matt red as i didnt wat to paint everything matt black.

P1010893.jpg

P1010894.jpg

P1010895.jpg

Timing the engine up...

P1010896.jpg

New cam belt

P1010897.jpg

P1010898.jpg

P1010899.jpg

P1010900.jpg

Then we started to put the last few final bits on, engine mounts, cambelt cover ect ect

P1010902.jpg

P1010903.jpg

Lower inlet on..

P1010905.jpg

P1010906.jpg

P1010907.jpg

Upper inlet back on and exhaust manifold......

P1010910.jpg

P1010911.jpg

P1010915.jpg

P1010916.jpg

P1010918.jpg

P1010920.jpg

P1010919.jpg

BMW E36 328

Cheers, was going to paint the rockor cover matt balck but i got persuaded to paint it matt red, it looks a million times better with the red breaking up the all the black lol.

Clio 172 Cup

WOW, Rob you actually look like your doing some work in some of the pics. Or huddled on the flood hoping nothing else breaks!!

Looking good