ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Renault Clio 1.5 dci 86 vs. 106

Renault Clio 1.6 VVT
Hi all,

New member to the forums so go easy on me ;) Hope i'm posting in the right section too, if not please correct me!

I would like a bit of advice on which of the above to go for. I currently own a Clio 1.6 VVT 128 GT which is a great little car to drive, it's juts costing me a fortune on fuel, averaging about 31mpg :/ I should've expected it to be honest, so I can't complain.

I'm soon going to be driving long motorway journey's, around 300 miles per week so looking for something a little more economical!

Anyone have either the 86 or 106 model and can report back what average MPG you get?

Also, what's it like to drive and is there a noticeable difference performance wise between the two?

Thanks again, any help/advice would be appreciated!

clio 182 trophy
The 172/182 are really cheap these days and they will return over 40mpg easily on the motorway. My commute was the same at around 300 miles pw and all motorway really. Stick at 65 to 70 and it will range from 40-48 from personal experience. Parts are cheap, as much info on here as you need. Then you have a fun car for the weekend. If you were 17 18 it would be a silly idea, but being early 20's insurance is decent. Some may disagree but the engines are very good if properly maintained and will go on to very high milage. Maybe something to think about.

There are a few on here who have the diesel cars so hopefully they can provide some help.

Renault Clio 1.6 VVT
The 172/182 are really cheap these days and they will return over 40mpg easily on the motorway. My commute was the same at around 300 miles pw and all motorway really. Stick at 65 to 70 and it will range from 40-48 from personal experience. Parts are cheap, as much info on here as you need. Then you have a fun car for the weekend. If you were 17 18 it would be a silly idea, but being early 20's insurance is decent. Some may disagree but the engines are very good if properly maintained and will go on to very high milage. Maybe something to think about.

There are a few on here who have the diesel cars so hopefully they can provide some help.

Ok thanks mate, may be worth a look into that.

JP83

South Central-Oxfordshire
ClioSport Area Rep
I've got an 86.
It's mostly used for commuting to work. 20 mile round trip a day, 5 days a week.
Driving like miss daisy I easily achieve 63/64mpg.
Driving "normally" I can get about 56mpg.

Not driven a 106 but it has the benefit of an extra gear so good if you're doing a lot of longer distances.
The 86 I'm told is a bit nippier for round town but 1st gear disappears in no time.

Tax for my 86bhp is £30 a year too which is great.

Clio RS 200 Gordini
My Clio GT? Around 1 month. Every week I have had to top up at least £40, which only get's me about 200 miles :(

Holy poop. I get 200 Miles with the same amount of money and the occasional arse-y driving in my 200. Are you flooring it?

Renault Clio 1.6 VVT
I've got an 86.
It's mostly used for commuting to work. 20 mile round trip a day, 5 days a week.
Driving like miss daisy I easily achieve 63/64mpg.
Driving "normally" I can get about 56mpg.

Not driven a 106 but it has the benefit of an extra gear so good if you're doing a lot of longer distances.
The 86 I'm told is a bit nippier for round town but 1st gear disappears in no time.

Tax for my 86bhp is £30 a year too which is great.

Those figures seem like a dream to me haha! Thanks for that, is the 86 still quite punchy from the off? Does it handle overtaking and things quite well?

I will be doing a lot of motorway driving soon, the girlfriend is going to university, 200 mile round trip every other week, plus my normal 30mile round trip to work every day.
£30 tax is awesome, it's about £100 I think for the 106.

Thanks for the help

Renault Clio 1.6 VVT
Holy poop. I get 200 Miles with the same amount of money and the occasional arse-y driving in my 200. Are you flooring it?

I know :( It;s killing my wallet haha!

Tyres are all well kept, had a recent service etc too..

Not particularly driving it too extreme either, never really taking it up to anywhere near the red

Clio 182
What sort of journey do you drive at the moment, is it alot of 30 road and town driving, or is it more of a roads 40 50 and 60 roads?

Renault Clio 1.6 VVT
What sort of journey do you drive at the moment, is it alot of 30 road and town driving, or is it more of a roads 40 50 and 60 roads?

Commute to work is a mixture really, about a 35 minute drive.

60% doing 30mph
40% doing 60mph

Weekends tend to be mostly town driving, only around 10-20miles though.

I'm never too harsh with braking, and always use Cruise control where possible.

JP83

South Central-Oxfordshire
ClioSport Area Rep
Those figures seem like a dream to me haha! Thanks for that, is the 86 still quite punchy from the off? Does it handle overtaking and things quite well?

I will be doing a lot of motorway driving soon, the girlfriend is going to university, 200 mile round trip every other week, plus my normal 30mile round trip to work every day.
£30 tax is awesome, it's about £100 I think for the 106.

Thanks for the help

It's still pretty torquey but you couldn't overtake as easily as say your GT.
On the motorway though it's good for between 50-70 (or slightly more if needed).
The only downside is once you're at 70 it's at about 2500rpm already, so any faster than that and it starts to sound a bit laboured.

Clio 182
Commute to work is a mixture really, about a 35 minute drive.

60% doing 30mph
40% doing 60mph

Weekends tend to be mostly town driving, only around 10-20miles though.

I'm never too harsh with braking, and always use Cruise control where possible.

Well that explains why your mpg is fairly low, my old 1 litre seat arosa, would love town drives, 30mph and you the car could be put in 5th gear without choking the engine, whereas on motorways it wasnt the most fuel efficient car... what im say is, the 1.5 you have now, might be alright on motorways, but may not suit the lifestyle of driving at 30 being a 1.6.... if your doing alot of town driving and want to be more fuel efficient, the best way is to get a lower litre car, if your on the motorway. The higher litre cars can be a better option :)

Last edited:

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
86/88 feels quicker around town due to better low down grunt under 2000rpm. 106 pulls much better over 2000rpm and have the much better 6 speed box.

I found the 106 was the same on fuel when driven lightly as the less power models, both driven hard the 106 gave a few mpg less. I was hard on my GT 106 used to always be running late and driving it hard and it returned mid to high 50's all day long. Taking it easy sitting on the cruise control at 70mpg on the motorway it would do mid 70s mpg!

I'd take a 106 over the rest any day of the week shame it had the note expensive road tax though at £105 or £120 can't remember

Clio Dynamique S
i had the 1.5 106 GT and i got 60-70mpg. high 50's if i thrashed it.

Made the mistake of buying the new DCI 90 dynamique S.
get 70+mpg but its a crap car. really want my GT back.

Renault Clio 1.6 VVT
86/88 feels quicker around town due to better low down grunt under 2000rpm. 106 pulls much better over 2000rpm and have the much better 6 speed box.

I found the 106 was the same on fuel when driven lightly as the less power models, both driven hard the 106 gave a few mpg less. I was hard on my GT 106 used to always be running late and driving it hard and it returned mid to high 50's all day long. Taking it easy sitting on the cruise control at 70mpg on the motorway it would do mid 70s mpg!

I'd take a 106 over the rest any day of the week shame it had the note expensive road tax though at £105 or £120 can't remember

Thanks, this really helped. Currently on the lookout for a 106!