ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Rear damper bolt question

Just about to fit new springs and am a little worried taking out that bolt as o/s has snapped before. Although this time round I have an impact gun so should be okay, but is there any technique to tackle it the safest way? Loads of wd and small bursts on the gun? @Typhoon

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
Bit of penetrant spray should be fine, they can be tight though. Heat as mentioned should work.

Don't copper grease them when putting them back in. Had them come loose doing that.

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
I`m so pleased to have learnt I have been doing it wrong for 52 years!

You assumed I didn't torque them, but I did.

After they had come loose the copper grease was cleaned off and then they were re torqued. They have since never come loose.

Same reason I don't copper grease wheel bolts.

Thanks for the advice guys. I didnt get far because the bolt on the bracket holding the abs sensor one of the fronts was gone. Have only just got both front struts out now!

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
The grease will reduce the friction thus allowing the bolt to be tightened more, which applies more clamping force and stretching the bolt.

That's why ARP supply special grease with their studs and bolts so that the torque can be replicated the same on each fastener.

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Tbh, i wouldn't think twice about using copper slip on the lower bolt myself as the last time i fitted it, it was fuuucking tight. But putting anything on the threads will change the amount of torque it'll take. It's just science yo.

I actually did the experiment at work, using a number of different lubricants and a load cell. Boron nitride, 3 in 1 oils etc. Copper slip broke the jig before I reached the set torque IIRC.

PH2 172
The grease will reduce the friction thus allowing the bolt to be tightened more, which applies more clamping force and stretching the bolt.

That's why ARP supply special grease with their studs and bolts so that the torque can be replicated the same on each fastener.

Am I talking to idiots?

ARP supply grease to eliminate friction from the equation, so that only the optimum longitudinal stretch of the bolt is achieved at the recommended torque, not a torsional false reading that includes an element required to overcome the friction from a dry thread.

PH2 172
copied and pasted from some website.

No, I have fully functioning brain.

To be honest, I threw the torque wrench away long ago, after some poor outcomes,

and reverted to my original wait till it bites, bottoms out, and tweak it a bit more method.

Never had a failure.

Just natural talent, I`d guess.

Typhoon

Gangsta
ClioSport Moderator
As above mate, bit of WD to soak it and then bursts with the impact gun. Don’t do it back up with an impact though!

Also, as @Louis' pointed out, heat if you’ve got a heat gun. Either way will work. If you’re using the impact gun though, don’t hold it down for one big long burst. Also, if at any point it feels like it won’t budge, use a bar to tighten it back up one turn before loosening it again.

I only just put the fronts on today! I was setting up the camber and realised I had to be somewhere in half an hour, ffs 😅

Also, if at any point it feels like it won’t budge, use a bar to tighten it back up one turn before loosening it again.

I think this would of saved the other bolt as well, thanks for the tip :)

Also I got a new oem bolt to go in and 2 cap head bolts as backup but not sure about them as the unthreaded portion is less, they need to be 10mm longer to match oem

330i. E30 Touring.
Buzz it out. Spray with WD. Buzz it back in. Buzz it out a bit more, more WD. Repeat until it comes out. Most come out first time with a decent buzz gun.

Well.. I expected the bolt to be a bit more resilient than that, the impact got it within seconds haha. The hardest part was the space I had to do it, would of been a 15 minute job otherwise!

IMG_0087.jpg

Went for a test and theres some scrubbing front right. Happens to be that that damper is pretty old and on its way, 2 new ones have been ordered. And dust boots!

IMG_0078.jpg

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
I must have just been lucky with my rear dampers.

Done them twice on the driveway - the 2nd time was even easier with the 182 nose-down on the slope. Literally sprayed both bolts with WD, left them for five minutes or so and they slackened off without a crazy amount of effort.