ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

RB182: V6 Airbox Fitted

R26
Had abit of spare time at college today, so i set about taking the OEM airbox out and fitting the Espace box, took about 15 minutes in total and ive got to say i couldnt be happier with the results :) Feels more responsive throughout the rev range and the induction noise is super sexy!
It doesnt have a CAF directly onto it but the original CAF is still in place just kinda laid in the hole on the V6 box, but as Tom@JMS said in their airbox thread, 'The housing sources the air from the cavity in front of the battery, where the air temperature is only 3-5 degrees above ambient @ 60mph, according to the theory this would cause a 0.6% loss in potential power due to air density, not worth it at all.' So im happy with that :)

Anyway heres some picture...

airbox5.jpg

airbox4.jpg

airbox3.jpg

airbox2j.jpg

airbox1.jpg

Comments welcome :)

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
How much did all the parts cost mate?

Got a JMS kit on the way but just curious :p

R26
want. That pipe gonna stay like that though? No way of connecting them up?

Yeah or i may just strip in out completely on the weekend. Runs spot on how it is at the moment so not really too fussed!

How much did all the parts cost mate?

Got a JMS kit on the way but just curious :p

Box was about £70 from Renault with a filter and the Samco bend was £25 from a guy off here :)

Last edited:
  b/g 182, meg tourer
i would stick a large caf directly on there.
has the acoustic valve been removed?
looks good tho. something i might do when i get a few pennies.

R26
i would stick a large caf directly on there.
has the acoustic valve been removed?
looks good tho. something i might do when i get a few pennies.

Like i said in the OP, theres not really much point for a direct CAF.
Acoustic valve is on the todo list this weekend.

b/g 182, meg tourer
any loss in power no matter how small is a bad thing in my book. for the sake of a larger feed that wont cost much i would rather not have any loss of power. and it might also neaten the connection up to the airbox.
you will be losing more power the slower you are going, although not a lot.

R26
any loss in power no matter how small is a bad thing in my book. for the sake of a larger feed that wont cost much i would rather not have any loss of power. and it might also neaten the connection up to the airbox.

Only problem with a CAF that size though is it ends up getting squashed trying to fit it down there (from what ive seen on other peoples attempts) which would cause even more of a restriction..

e92 + E46 M3 + Cup

You'll loose power adding the feed, Tested on the rolling road, problem is there is just not the space behind the headlight to run a feed down into the arch

Stuart you'll need a good filter to get the most out of the kit, we've tested all types the past few weeks on the RR

R26
You'll loose power adding the feed, Tested on the rolling road, problem is there is just not the space behind the headlight to run a feed down into the arch

Stuart you'll need a good filter to get the most out of the kit, we've tested all types the past few weeks on the RR

Already talking to Tom@JMS about getting one mate ;)

b/g 182, meg tourer

oh, i see. thats interesting.
would you say a standard ph2 airbox is better with or without a feed?

e92 + E46 M3 + Cup
We remove the acoustic valve feed as it works on the same basis as the V6 set-up, but the lower feed is left alone as we noticed a fair increase in air inlet temp when it was removed

b/g 182, meg tourer
We remove the acoustic valve feed as it works on the same basis as the V6 set-up, but the lower feed is left alone as we noticed a fair increase in air inlet temp when it was removed

so you find that gives the best results on a standard ph2 airbox? i always run mine with no acoustic valve but the feed in place. i ran it with no upper feed (purely for sound) but people advised me not to due to intake temps.

so you find that gives the best results on a standard ph2 airbox? i always run mine with no acoustic valve but the feed in place. i ran it with no upper feed (purely for sound) but people advised me not to due to intake temps.

Not needed at all, see my quote above ref intake temps. Its a sound insulating pipe (hence its woolly appearance) aka a shoulder piece ;)

320d
The Vee airbox looks good mate. Very tidy.

If I removed the standard insulated airfeeds from my ph1 172 airbox would this be benificial then? I've heard several people mention lately that CAF's can hamper performance.

Artic 182
'Ramair' is only relative at silly speeds. An open cool area has a greater affect than a tiny pipe with a bend in it

R26
The Vee airbox looks good mate. Very tidy.

If I removed the standard insulated airfeeds from my ph1 172 airbox would this be benificial then? I've heard several people mention lately that CAF's can hamper performance.

Incase your misunderstood, its not the Clio V6 airbox, its the Espace V6 box.

200 Gordini
Under the bay is hardly a cool place though is it?

I was literally about to buy some 80mm stuff then but I'm interested in this now.. Can someone link the thread where this was brought up please?

320d
I've just removed the standard CAF's on my ph1 airbox. I can't say i've noticed any difference in performance but its a lot louder and sounds awesome.

I think i'll be going for JMS's bend and filter at some point in the near future too.

320d
Well I'll be having on soon. What ever you choose to call it :cool:

I'm sure there must be definate gains from the 'shoulder piece' the standard one just looks restrictive.

The panel filter would provide even more induction noise too won't it?

lol

'Shoulder piece' is a verb - means to sling-pointless-parts-over-your-shoulder!

Was referring to the CAF ;)

320d
Ahh. Now i'm with you.

The standard CAF's make no sence anyway. They're almost coiled up they're that long. That cn't be great for air flow.

320d
I'd have thought if it was JMS would have used it. I don't know though. I'd have to leave them to comment. They've done the testing.