ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Fitting V6 Airbox to a 182 - Thought it was straight forward you buggers?? Haha

Clio 182
Hello All

I have purchased the espace V6 airbox, and 172 pipercross filter to fit my 54 plate 182, as I was told this was the easiest option to get away from the heat soak issues of using K&Ns etc (without using 90 degree bends etc)

I also read that the airbox just fits onto the standard size CAF pipes? But it most definitely doesn't on mine ?

So, I have a Samco induction hose same as the standard one with the breather pipe etc. Size wise this fits perfectly over the top airbox hole, however it looks like it will need cutting down by about 2 inches so that the airbox will even fit in the engine bay (which is a shame as I didn't want to butcher the pipe)

And the standard CAF pipe coming from the arch liner area, - now this pipe is about 1.5 inches at a guess smaller in size than the adjacent airbox hole.

Does anyone know what spacer/reducer I require to make the standard CAF fit the side/lower hole on the v6 airbox please?

If anyone has took pics of their fitting process that would be extremely helpful

I also don't understand what actually holds the airbox in place, every pic I have seen of these fitted, they look almost stock-fitted, but I just can't see how its done at all lol :(

cheers
Mike

182 Trophy #333
Here's a picture of BigDaves fitted, nothing really holds it in place just wedged in there
IMAG0046.jpg

Clio 182
Cheers for that mate, looks like the standard induction hose is shorter than thew Samco, so I will have to cut that down.Looking at that pic, I cant see any reducer between the airbox and his CAF. Which suggests its just sat in there with about an inch gap for dirt and crap to get in ?

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
Leave the CAF off. It is better without it on. There was a big discussion about this in another thread I can't find. I was thinking the same when I was fitting mine but all I did was rest the existing feed in the recess in the airbox. You could just leave it hanging out, TBH.

Something about the air getting up through that CAF is very restrictive and actually reduces the cold air getting through. Leaving it open forces more air in and because it's facing away from the generating heat it's fine. It also sounds better ;)

Clio 182
Really? Never thought anyone would suggest that ! I am willing to take your word for it though. Such a shame to cut the Samco though, just impossible for the air box to fit in the bay though unless I do :(

Clio 182
They look a bit pants mate, and have started tidying the bay up with the samco, engine cover, painted the v6 box etc

Clio 182
Scutch cheers for that mate - very interesting. I too would have been looking for a larger CAF pipe as on user mentioned. ill just leave it sat in the airboxlooks like ill have to cut the samco by around 20mmcheers again

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
When I had the Clio, I used the standard bend on mine, but on my previous 182 I used a blue samco to a BMC CDA. It did need cut down to suit it. As for the V6 airbox, yeah it was just left to hang loose although because everything was so tight in there, it was a pretty neat fit.