ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Rattling/Buzzing

Had a search and couldn't find anything specific to the recent rattling buzzing I've been getting.

At around 3.8k I get this noise from the passenger side of the car and it definitely coming from the outside of the car, it sounds like something is loose. Best way to explain would be like a bolt is trapped somewhere and when the engine is revving at 3.8k is starts rattling.

I've been all around the passenger side looking for anything loose and making sure everything is tight, replaced the upper gearbox mount to no avail. Anyone else had anything similar or shed some light on what could possibly be?

Edit: Forgot to mention, once the car has reached around 4k revs the noise stops.

Last edited:
  Focus ST-3
When I first bought my car I had a rattle at about the same rev ranger that stopped if i went to about 4k. It turned out to be a loose jubilee clip on the exhaust. Get under the car and take a look.

Titanium 182
might be the ba that runs from the alternator to the block of the engine. the bolt in mine had dropped out and rattled between 3.5-4k

Had a look round the exhaust today and there was nothing obviously loose. Although I revved the engine from the throttle body before and replicated the noise while I was looking in the engine bay, it appears to be coming from the lower inlet area, initial thought was fuel rail guard. I took that off but it was still doing it so it could be something to do with the alternator brackets like you've mentioned Paul.

Titanium 182
not hard to check, remove the rail guard and eel if thee is a bolt in on the block end. im only assuming you have the smae bracket as i have a 182 ?

Yes it's the same set up as yours. Had a look round and put a ratchet on every bolt in that area including the one's on the lower inlet to make sure everything was tight and it's still rattling away. Bit of a weird one.

Think I've found where the noise is coming from. Found a blow on a joint on the exhaust, sorted that out this morning and that seems to have quietened the noise down but noticed those spring bolts that hold the decat to the manifold were quite loose. Tried to tighten them up but there as tight as they can go so may just need to replace them.

Just an update for future reference.

Replaced the spring bolts on the Manifold/Cat pipe and the rattle buzzing has disappeared. Became apparent it was the issue when I removed them.