ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Rate this laptop

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
Alienware are awful. Much like MG in their later days, they've re-branded something inherently sh*te to shift it to a younger market.

If you have to buy a gaming machine, literally ANY decent desktop rig would be better than that.

It'll still be an ugly hunk of PC sh*te, but at least you'll get value for money with a desktop.

work for BMW
Haha I guess you don't like Alienware!
Well I'm looking for a laptop not a desktop, any ideas for around 300

Gaming laptops are pretty much the most pointless computer ever. I understand that some people want to be able to play decent games in hotels and stuff, but for everyone else they're a massive waste of money. Hot, noisy, heavy, and essentially impossible to upgrade. If you don't need the portability, you're way better off building your own desktop rig.

work for BMW
yea but I want a laptop I can use for uni and take away with me but with the ability to play games , just makes life so much easier !

yea but I want a laptop I can use for uni and take away with me but with the ability to play games , just makes life so much easier !

Tricky. In that case then yeah you probably need a gaming laptop. TBH though they are so compromised that you'd be better off with an Xbox and a cheap but decent TV. Think long and hard about portable gaming computers. I've been there before. They are almost an oxymoron.

Seat Ibiza
I'm no PC zealot anyway

I have a PS3, 360 and a Wii as well :eek:

Haha, it wouldn't bother me if you were. I don't understand all that computer talk. My laptop is used for internet and my PS3 is for MW3.

What do you use more out of the PS3 and 360 then? Surely you must have a preference as most people are one or the other!?!

So a gaming laptop, wouldn't you want a bigger screen that 11'' like asked for?

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio
building a gaming pc over any longish time period is usually a bad idea, as by the time you are almost finished the next best thing will be out, i would save for a bit then buy it all in one go, unless of course you really need the computer.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
i dont mean over months, just maby one month on your payday or what ever buy a case, psu, any cooling fans, drives etc then the next one a montherboard, and memory, then the next a graphics card or what ever else you fancy. usually better for people who cant save lol

building a gaming pc over any longish time period is usually a bad idea, as by the time you are almost finished the next best thing will be out, i would save for a bit then buy it all in one go, unless of course you really need the computer.

Not really accurate. You can build an amazing chassis and power supply that will last for years. If you choose wisely (ergo listen to PC gaming enthusiasts) then the stuff you put in it will also last a very long time. There's no reason to feel that the entire machine must be cutting edge all the time.

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio
Not really accurate. You can build an amazing chassis and power supply that will last for years. If you choose wisely (ergo listen to PC gaming enthusiasts) then the stuff you put in it will also last a very long time. There's no reason to feel that the entire machine must be cutting edge all the time.

This is true, but this machine will be built on a limited budget judging by the fact he wants a second hand laptop for £300. If he were to wait and get everything together he would have a better machine or a cheaper machine, of course there are pros and cons to both methods that is just the way i see it

Clio v6 255
I've got one of those laptops, bought mine new however. Good laptop, more than capable, i bought mine mostly to run engineering software so i cant take it with me when im out and about. Haven't witnessed it get hot at all yet, must not be pushing it anywhere near its capabilities.

I've got one with the 2gb card and 6gb of ram.

Have however once or twice missed the CD-Rom drive

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
Haha, it wouldn't bother me if you were. I don't understand all that computer talk. My laptop is used for internet and my PS3 is for MW3.

What do you use more out of the PS3 and 360 then? Surely you must have a preference as most people are one or the other!?!

So a gaming laptop, wouldn't you want a bigger screen that 11'' like asked for?

360 gets used more, as it's a superior console for playing games

PS3 far better for blu-rays (and I use it for PS3 exclusives, and US games I can't get on the 360)

work for BMW
Iv got an Xbox naturally ,couldn't live without battlefield 3 but I'm playing the new star wars old republic mmo , my laptOp can run it maybe 30fps on lowest settings but as soon as there is some action the framerate will drop loads.
That Alienware really doesn't look bad for the money it's just the really small screen which isn't great. I know I could get a decent desktop but i would be selling my laptoP so I would be using the money to get a gaming laptop.
Tbh it just needs atleast 4gb ram, 2-3ghz processor and a nice graphic card, I'm gonna have a little looky on eBay!

work for BMW
How about this for £300 second hand

http://support.acer.com/acerpanam/notebook/0000/Acer/Aspire6935G/Aspire6935Gsp2.shtml

Acer aspire 6935g
Processor Intel Core 2 Duo T6400 2 x 2.0GHz
Memory DDR3 10600 4GB
Hard Drive SATA 320GB
Graphics Card nVidia GeForce 9600M GS 512MB with CUDA Technology
Screen 16 inch TFT 1920 x 1080 ( WUXGA )
DVD Re-Writer
Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, WebCam
DOLBY Home Theater
Multimedia Touch Panel
3xUSB, HDMI, e-SATA, Finger Print Reader, Card Reader,

work for BMW
sorry to spam laptops lol, but i think i just found the perfect laptop, pushing my budget to around £500, could someone give their opinion?

Acer Aspire 5750g

Intel® Core™ i5-2430M Dual Core (2.4GHz, Intel Sandy Bridge Architecture, 3MB Cache, Intel Turbo Boost up to 3.0GHz)
Screen15.6" (Acer CineCrystal, 1366x768 HD, High Brightness, LED Backlit)
Operating SystemWindows 7 Home Premium Edition 64-bit
RAM8GB (DDR3 1333MHZ)
Hard Drive750GB
Optical DriveDVD Rewriter (Records DVDs 8x & CDs 24x & Dual Layer Super Multi)
GraphicsDedicated (NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 540M with 1GB DDR Dedicated Memory)
Wireless LANWireless (802.11b/g/n Wireless)
Network Card10/100/1000 Gigabit Fast Ethernet
Integrated WebcamIntegrated Webcam with Microphone
Card Reader5-in-1 card reader (SD//MS/MS-Pro/MMC/xD-Picture card™)
USB Ports3x USB 2.0 ports
SpeakersIntegrated Sound System
VGA Port1 External VGA Port
Kensington LockKensington lock slot
Charge Time2.5 Hours
HDMI1x HDMI Port
Warranty12 Months Acer Collect & Return
Battery Life4-5 Hours (Upto 4.5 Hour Battery Life)
Weight2-3 Kg (This Model 2.5 Kg)