ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Project Log - Ph1 Flame Red 172

e60 M5 -172- dciheid
Let it get a bit dirty recently ;)

IMG_3159Medium.jpg

IMG_3160Medium.jpg

IMG_3161Medium.jpg

IMG_3162Medium.jpg

IMG_3164Medium.jpg

IMG_3165Medium.jpg

IMG_3166Medium.jpg

IMG_3167Medium.jpg

IMG_3169Medium.jpg

IMG_3170Medium.jpg

Gotta clean it soon do a few wee jobs and then its good to go. Gonna miss it :(

shame matey.

when do you pick up the diesel shed?

e60 M5 -172- dciheid
completely different driving experience 'performance' diesels, but im sure the aurius will be ok

H22A7 Accord Type R
Aye man, it was lookin a bit of a shed when i seen you heading up Beecraigs for a bit of Nookie on new years day ;)

Random meeting or what!!! R3

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Aye man, it was lookin a bit of a shed when i seen you heading up Beecraigs for a bit of Nookie on new years day ;)

Random meeting or what!!! R3

Very! I know, was getting embarrased by the state of it! ANd that has to be the most random meeting Ive had in a long time!

pmsl thats the attitude ive got with the dci, i washed it in december after wales rally WRC and its never been washed since!

this wee beastie coming to the RR day i hope!!

Aye it'll be there even if Im not, if I have to work Dave is gonna take it for me.

He washed it in the snow/rain/hail the other week. FOOL!

It started dry but breezy and just got worse and worse, was hating it!

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Gave it one last clean yesterday and the new owner came and picked it up last night :(

Told him about here so hopefully he'll post pics up, seems to have good plans for it.

Missing it before it even went ftl :(

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
Aye good wee cars. But that Auris looks crackin! It's also new, warrenty, hassle free and NOT reno! ha!

H22A7 Accord Type R
company cars FTW!!! lol.

Just think, when its all snowy, you can just jump in and go, no worrying lol. I got the wee Berblingo van from Halifax to Dewsbury today, nae bother!!! lol

2000 1.4
hi guys, I'm new to the site, just read through the whole thread, absolutely gorgeous 172, inspired me to save up and get my own! ...was gonna just convert mines but the flame red colour is so smart, so just gonna put my money into getting one of those! shame you don't have it anymore, musta been heartbreaking letting it go!!!

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Thanks very much mate, great plan as well! Yeah it is, been missing it all week! I've made sure I've got first refusal when Dave comes to sell it!

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Well I'd better ressurect this thread eh? Got the clio back 2 weeks ago on about 80000 miles after Dave looked after it for me for a couple of years!

I'll get some recent pics up but I've done a few things already, put the silver Alpine ipod stereo back in, changed the wimter tyres to summer ones and changed the ktec stealth to a yozza stealth. I'll write up a full post with plans, pics and what I've had in between soon though.

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Well when I sold the Clio I got this SR180 as a company car which I kept for about 9 months and 15k

IMG_3240Medium.jpg

And when that went I decided that I’d got use to having a nice practical car and was especially useful on the b&q runs that happen when you’ve just bought your first house and got married.

So went onto gum tree with a £500 budget to get a practical shed for a few months.

Drove home in this

IMG_3766Medium.jpg

It had a hard top as well!

However, obviously it filled very few of my needs and had clearly been a bargain so put it up for sale after 3 weeks and got £875 iirc.

So back to the boring car hunt and my mate happened to be selling this megane

IMG_3952Medium.jpg

1.6 16v of goodness. Cleaned it the day I bought it and the day I sold it. Was kinda nice having a car that I just didn’t give 2 craps about.

But as usual the call of a 172 was too much and about a year sooner than planned I bought this from another member. In Sussex.

Bought it like this

IMG_3967Medium.jpg

Was on Racelands that were wound so low the driveshafts hit the inner arch when cornering so had to raise it and decided that I wasn’t a big raceland fan. So bought brand new cup shocks and sportlines. Did another good few things to it over the next 9 months. Including a great trip up north to Applecross

IMG_4782Medium.jpg

Got itchy feet, again and decided a 2.8 v6 A4 Quattro was exactly what I needed.

IMG_5690Medium.jpg

Well what can I say, fully kitted, mega comfy, fast. Not for me. Not in the least bit chuckable, which I knew before buying it but couldn’t justify its thirst when not enjoying it.

However a mate loved it and we came to a deal which has resulted in this sitting on my drive/gum tree

IMG_5805Medium.jpg

£90 a year to tax and 65mpg. That’s the interesting stuff to do with that car done and dusted.

But now after that long winded circle back in the car I’ve regretted selling since before it went! Djw Dave has run it for the past few years and other than letting his missus drive it has taken great care of it. Driven it as it should be ;)

I didn’t really intend to be buying it once I’d bought the audi but whilst it was back having warrenty work done dave very Kindly lent me the 172. Which then became a test drive. Which then became mine!

Only got a couple of pics so far thanks to the great weather.

These were taken weeks ago

IMG_5696Medium.jpg

IMG_5701Medium.jpg

IMG_5700Medium.jpg

Its been cleaned about a dozen times since and is back on all 4 summer wheels and tyres. The steelies have winter rubber on them. Much much better than PE2s when the temps drop and if theres anything from slush upwards then there is no contest!

Since getting it back I’ve put my ipod Alpine headunit back in and changed to a yozza stealth. Very happy with both mods!

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Re: Project Log - Ph1 Flame Red 172 *UPDATE March 2011*

Just found these had uploaded amongst other pics. More greatness ;)

IMG_5792Medium.jpg

and the new yozza about to be fitted hence the fubar/gally arch gap

IMG_5793Medium.jpg

Stu.

ClioSport Club Member
  lots of clios.

awesomeeeee ;) whats the yozza like compared to the k-tec? need another sesh soon ;)

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep

I'll take you for a spin in it mate, my wife prefers it, I'm not so sure cos its just a bit too quiet at times. Better bit of kit though, as reflected in the price when new!

Stu.

ClioSport Club Member
  lots of clios.

:D! does it sound about the same giving it beans? think mines is leaking a bit at the front clamp! but ive got a de-silenced center section to go in from the supersport exhaust though so ill sort it when i put that in ;)

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep

You hear more induction noise but it still sounds good, expecially when nice and hot. Might be going for a poke at Daves bit on Sat, I'll let you know and you can come join the fun ;)

Stu.

ClioSport Club Member
  lots of clios.

nicee! well you or dave fire me a text if use arnt up to much and ill try come over for a few hours ;)

225 Cup & Williams

How does the Yozza sound john? I cant decide wether to go for the Yozza or Btb.

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep

Its pretty nice mate, not boomy at all, maybe a little quiet for my liking but had to compromise. You want to hear it sometime?

225 Cup & Williams

I wouldnt mind hearing it mate yeah how much did it cost you? I got that powerflex dogbone mount fitted aswell mate it made quiet a difference on mine.

yeecup

ClioSport Club Member
  mk8Fiesta ST,172 cup

wheres the best place to get the dogbone mount? might get one for my ph1

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep

I got it second hand mate as a bit of a bargain tbh, I'll tell you when we meet up! Aye? Dogbone is on my want list but theres a fair few non car things on the need list :(

Stu.

ClioSport Club Member
  lots of clios.

i want to hear it aswell! got my new center section on mine and sounds tits imo :) need a ph1 meet soon lads :rasp:

225 Cup & Williams

Yeah I'm off next week as well, we should deffo get something organised.

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep

Well figured I should just keep using this thread even though its ancient and probably never looked at anymore but what the hell.

Right since the last update the main news is I snapped the cat in half on the first run of the day at Crail. Bugger. So took it off the road whilst sourcing parts and just pottered away on it when me and Djw Dave had time, so i was over a few weeks but hours wise it wasnt too bad.

Have since put it through a MOT which highlighted a few, er issues and also onto the RR where it was down on power. Was also showing 3 fault codes, all lamdba related.

So the plan is to take it off the road at the end of this month, run our coupe through winter (3 cars between 2 of us) and fix a lot of things. Will get pics before during and after.

Wrote up a 'small' job list for when it comes back onto the road on 1st of April (coupe tax runs out then)

Jobs that must be done

Handbrake cables
Secure heat shields
New rear discs and pads
Test rear brake bias valve and rear calipers
New track rod ends
Realign headlights
New front lambda
Fit rear lambda bung
New timing belt. aux belt, water pump and diphase
Change gearbox oil
Fir rear light earth