ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Project: BMW E21.

I had great intentions that this would be an awesome weekend of progress on the BMW, unfortunately I only got anything done on it today :(

Bought the headlining material from Segals in Salford, awesome place tbh, more choice than you could ever need! I'll get some pictures of that tomorrow.

Actual progress;

Started recovering the loom, the old tape is all dry and crusty and really needs replacing, so I'll redo the whole loom.

8652380979_0b908caefb_c.jpg

8653481562_416f11e0fb_c.jpg

To:

8652379375_ba409ed1a8_c.jpg

8653479694_88d781b121_c.jpg

Decided to get the front end on too.

Looking goofy:

8653478122_710be6bdcf_c.jpg

More Plastikote Satin:

8653476908_444c7284d5_c.jpg

And finally, my debumpered E21 :)

8653476992_19179ddd82_c.jpg

8652373959_4c9ab5c028_c.jpg

As I expected, I love it! It harks back to the 2002 in so many ways, and really accentuates that sharknose!

So excited to get it finished now!

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
Get on vehicle wiring products and buy some proper stuff for pennies!

Will look much more oem and do a better job ;)

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Last edited:
Aye, credit where it's due, this is my first "build", I've never done this before, deep end and all that! :eek:

As said, I'll get some non adhesive tape and redo the whole harness, it's a 36 year old car, so tbh, there isn't much wiring to wrap!

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
You're doing superbly so far IMO mate, proper cracking job. The heat shrink always make such a difference to the ends also, so don't miss out on getting some of that too!

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
The braided sleeping stretches over them, add some nice heat shrink on the end and you have a good looking and secure coating.

the twist wrap is easier to apply but its harder to make it look nice, still looks better than the electrical tape though.

Its 70p a meter worth buying a meter of each size and seeing which suits each part of the loom better

The braided sleeping stretches over them, add some nice heat shrink on the end and you have a good looking and secure coating.

the twist wrap is easier to apply but its harder to make it look nice, still looks better than the electrical tape though.

Its 70p a meter worth buying a meter of each size and seeing which suits each part of the loom better

The braided stuff will stretch over a big chunky connector???

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah it's awkward but you squeeze it together, feed in the cables/connectors then leave it go and it pulls itself tight (remember those finger traps when you were younger? Bit like that)

Like I said get some different sizes and work out which looks best. If the connectors are too big maybe the twist wrap is a better option

As promised, some photos of the headlining.

It's quite difficult to capture the colour and texture, but you get the idea. It's a foam backed nylon material in a charcoal shade.

8656509088_7fc23f902d_c.jpg

8656507574_26a8e2519f_c.jpg

Will start making it soon, using my old headlining as a template.

Keeps getting better. I'm really impressed that this is your first project of this sort and yet you don't seem to be cutting any corners.

:eek:

Cheers, my aim is to have a really nice example, probably won't ever win any concours, nor will it be "the UK's finest example".

​Fortunately, doing things properly and paying attention to the finer details is what I really enjoy.

#fullynerdy! :D

Got a few bits done this weekend, including some seam sealer on the repairs:

8667950817_73eae94bba_c.jpg

8669051230_461fbe46d4_c.jpg

I noticed that the sealer had cracked on the upright repair, anyone know why this would happen?

8667948489_31208fd585_c.jpg

Arches undersealed:

8669049052_7ac39af044_c.jpg

8667946191_fa90d2744f_c.jpg

Yesterday I noticed that the sill on the drivers side has been damaged:

8667944833_95d1aedb23_c.jpg

No idea how that has happened, but obviously I was pretty gutted.

Fortunately Lee gave me the rest of the tin of paint used to respray the car, so I got a modelers brush out, and touched it in.

8667942059_a2865ef14c_c.jpg

8667943499_9ac660ca80_c.jpg

Not perfect, but a hell of a lot better than it was.

Random shot:

8667941247_250464888e_c.jpg

Also, picked up my upgraded front end.

All of this has been kindly donated to me by the lads on the E21 forum, I have to say I've been massively humbled by their generosity, cannot thank them enough.

Spec:

- 323i ARB (6mm thicker than my 316, and slightly improved design)
- Series 2 control arms (to allow the fitment of the 323i ARB)
- Stongflex polybushes (90A hardness, bushes for ARB, control arms and diff)

8667940125_3cbc51378c_c.jpg

Gave the ARB a hit with the wire wheel and some white spirit and gave it a fresh coat of paint.

8669039710_5a2a3b3444_c.jpg

A good weekend in all, coilovers should be soon, and I need to chase up the status on my wheels.

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
how mcuh did the carpet cost? need some for a k-series midget at work :)

i bloody love this thing, its got me looking at old bmws now :eek:

Carpet was £10+ VAT.

Segals Motor Trimmings in Salford.

Don't know if you're local, but if you are, go down as apposed to online. They have some mega bargains, especially if you get the end of the roll. My headlining, underlay and carpet has cost me £67 inc VAT.

​Bargains, I'm doing it right ;)

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Cracking work, loving the dedication still. I realise it's only you working away but god damn do I want to see more.

As for the sealer cracking, have you jacked it up or similar? Looks like stress from flexing etc?

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
Carpet was £10+ VAT.

Segals Motor Trimmings in Salford.

Don't know if you're local, but if you are, go down as apposed to online. They have some mega bargains, especially if you get the end of the roll. My headlining, underlay and carpet has cost me £67 inc VAT.

​Bargains, I'm doing it right ;)

i'll order some off the net. unless i have the time to make a day out into manchester

bargin and a half. door card fabric for the midget was 100 quid :eek: