ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Project #56; Clio Trophy

R60 CUP
Cars looking great john! :) i didnt know your belt caused that engine damage! how come no one tells me these things lol! but glad its all sorted now mate, think your car looks well nice! i need to start a project thread but i think its to late now haha

I wasn't sure what was going to happen with it tbh so didn't really say much to anybody, bar a few people.

On another note, It looks like the Passenger side damper as packed up AGAIN. So I'm currently in talks with Ben at BG Motorsport as to what we are going to do with the damper as it has failed only 6months/5k miles after it was refurbished.

Its knocking over bumps and its VERY soft when you press down on it.

/Moneypit.

R60 CUP
Its gone already :/ surly it will be under warranty? so they should just either replace or do the job again?

I've spoken to Ben today and there records showed they had replaced the passenger side piston when the first went in to be refurbished. However as you can see earlier in this thread, they actually replaced the drivers side piston. I sent a load of photos to Ben showing their condition before and after with pictures of the seals, markings and the new piston (in the driver side damper).

Ben and I have come a brief conclusion that the piston was possibly replaced on the wrong damper, as he confirms that the passenger damper was not functioning when it went into them. With this in mind, he has asked me to send both dampers back to him so that they can inspect, report and repair the passenger shock and also dyno test the drivers side to ensure a good balance. Ben said as long as everything they find on the shocks backs up the theory all this work will be carried out free of charge.

The dampers should be coming off either this or next weekend depending on when I can get a set of dampers as a temporary solution until mine are back. They are booked in for the 1st of March.

Fingers crossed.

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
As good as that is that they're sorting it, what a massive PITA for you mate.

Hope it all gets sorted Jon.

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
You've been so unlucky recently with this car :(, hopefully this not being your fault and costing you nothing will be the start of some actual good luck for once.

On the bright side your Zymol Carbon was still beading well last night :)

As good as that is that they're sorting it, what a massive PITA for you mate.

Hope it all gets sorted Jon.

I know, I know! The car is one big PITA tbh.

Cheers

You've been so unlucky recently with this car :(, hopefully this not being your fault and costing you nothing will be the start of some actual good luck for once.

On the bright side your Zymol Carbon was still beading well last night :)

Hopefully.

The Zymol hasn't seen many miles tbh, so I'm actually not that surprised when I think about it. <3

Paul.M

ClioSport Club Member
Best of luck getting the damper sorted Jon, I bet it will be a pain in the arse swapping it all back over again.... twice.

Didnt it cost you a fair bit to send them to BG motorsport postage wise? will they refund that if it is found to be their fault?

Non Sport Megane
So jealous of your car right now! :O
Cant wait to get my PH1 172 looking pucker!
Gotta get my front bumper fixed 1st after an unfortunate slide in the snow!

e92 330i
I really like both your previous clio and this one, shame its been crappy to you recently! Hope you get it sorted asap...

Best of luck getting the damper sorted Jon, I bet it will be a pain in the arse swapping it all back over again.... twice.

Didnt it cost you a fair bit to send them to BG motorsport postage wise? will they refund that if it is found to be their fault?

Not a mega hassle as I know how to do it fairly easily now. Just a PITA as I only have one spare cup damper.

So jealous of your car right now! :O
Cant wait to get my PH1 172 looking pucker!
Gotta get my front bumper fixed 1st after an unfortunate slide in the snow!

Keep your chin up, all be worth it once its done.

I really like both your previous clio and this one, shame its been crappy to you recently! Hope you get it sorted asap...

Cheers guys :D

As I've organised to get the damper back to BG for the 1st of March I borrowed a cup damper off a friend until I get mine back. This means that this week I will at least have a driveable car, if I need it, however next weekend when the other side comes off the car is going to have to sit on the drive with one damper missing until they are back. Bit of a PITA but not much I can do about it.

First things first we took the car to a local garage and got them to air gun the top mount off, because the piston just rotates and I foolishly ordered a 20/22mm swan neck spanner instead of a 21/23! Doh!

Damper off and the cup damper in (no camber bolts used as there is no point at the moment. We didn't bother with the drivers side, but when I get the SACH back i'll run them with standard bolts for the time being just to make sure there are no other problems.

I also got a set of replacement passenger side runners for the recaro's as mine wobbled over bumps which was VERY annoying, so we swapped them over for the replacement set. I'm happy to report that with the cup damper and the new runners the car feels so much nicer.

Onto the problem in hand, the said passenger damper. Below is a series of photo's of before the refurbish (Last august) after the refurbish and the current state of the damper. It is pretty obvious that the service has done nothing what so ever, Hopefully Ben will fully agree with me and replace the piston FOC (which he said he was doing in the first place)

Before the service (note the passenger side piston dropping):
SDC18074.jpg

after the service (pistons back level, but the wrong piston was replaced):
SDC18219.jpg

and the current state of the passenger side damper:
IMG_0730.jpg

IMG_0731.jpg

Obviously this is the cause of the knocking and the very soft suspension on that corner. Can't actually wait to get them sorted and be able to enjoy this car for summer!

Wish me luck CS!

I needed to weigh the dampers for when I send them off so though I would stick it up here:

Each Sach Damper, Roughly weights 12 lbs per side not including springs etc.

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
Oh dear, it's exactly the same as it was before the refurb. Obviously after you'd done it it was fine until it was put under strain again. Fingers crossed.

Same, I wont be able to make the mini meet on the 28th, as I'll obviously be carless but I'll have the car for the Big one two weeks later :D

If you still want to go give me a shout, I'll more than likely be going and you can jump in with me.

Pretty much. Going to order some Bilt Hamber Hydrate 80 so I can get rid of the rust as well, as I only painted over it last time.

Cheers, I'll let you know closer to the time.

Met up with Rhys today to get some pictures. Gave the car a proper wash, Werkstatt prime and a layer of Zymol Carbon.

IMG_0746.jpg

IMG_0758.jpg

IMG_0760.jpg

IMG_0761.jpg

IMG_0778.jpg

Couple of photo's Ed too that I really like.

6904641769_29a34bff05_b.jpg

6904644631_e320537363_b.jpg

Really liked your 1.2 Jon it was a credit to you, but you've got a stunning T with some great additions you've made, I had the exhaust on my old 182 snap in the same place yours did bloody Renault lol, great touch with the new style Rs badge too I'd love to do this if I didn't have a stupid ph1 bootlid :( where did you get the trophy sticker from under the Rs badge?

Cheers Craig. The genuine exhaust are pretty poor unfortunately shame, as I really liked the tips on the standard over the RS192 ones. I've grown out of them and think they're too big. I managed to just about cover up the two holes left by the clio badge with the new style badge. The Trophy stickers came on the car as the prev owner put them on, however you can get them from cliotrophy.co.uk, the rear one also has the number under it too "056 / 500".

If I remove the standard rs badges I'll be left with holes along with the clio holes :( I really like the new style badge after seeing it on yours as well.

I've registered on cliotrophy.co.uk & seen the I.d stickers they are a great touch, I was thinking about something the same for the sunflowers in the same font & No 1 to 31

Where did you get the sticky pads for the number plates too?

Yeah I know ph1 but lids are a pain for that reason alone.

How would you go about getting the right number for the sunflower, as they're not numbered are they? What about "Supercharged Sunflower" in the same font no number etc?

Here mate: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VELCRO-He...Scrapbooking_Glue_Tape_EH&hash=item5645daf7a0 Really good, used them on the 1.2 as well. Only thing is I always catch the washing mitt and drying towel etc on them and get bits stuck to them. If I did them again it stick them the other way round, so the loops are actually on the numberplate. That way it wont catch any fabric when you're cleaning the car :D

No they arnt numbered I was thinking of going by when they were first registered as my two are both different dates. Supercharged sunflower sounds good :)

Jon your a :star: I'll get some of them ordered for mine, top man

Time for another quick update,

Ordered a few bonnet seal from a lad on ClioTrophy as mine had split in two. Must say the new one is much much better quality so got that fitted in all of 10seconds.

IMG_0794.jpg

Decided on Yesterday that I would clean my seatbelts as I've been meaning to do them forever. Using a combination of AutoGlym Interior Shampoo and Zaino Z7 Car shampoo with a brush, results really are excellent and even surprised myself, Couple of before /after 50/50 shots:

IMG_0795.jpg

IMG_0796.jpg

Lastly, took my remaining SACHS damper off today ready to go tomorrow. As can be seen this one is still mint. Few pictures of them together and boxed up:

IMG_0798.jpg

IMG_0799.jpg

You can really see why the passenger side is broke, its EXACTLY the same as it was before...
IMG_0800.jpg

IMG_0801.jpg

Boxed up:
IMG_0802.jpg

Ready to go tomorrow...
IMG_0805.jpg

Got a few goodies coming this week too :D

Fiesta ST-3
Seatbelts came up awesome, I need to do the same with mine.

Be good to get them Sach's sorted mate... what are the goodies you have coming? Also, when you treating my BG to a layer of glasur? ;)

Seatbelts came up awesome, I need to do the same with mine.

Be good to get them Sach's sorted mate... what are the goodies you have coming? Also, when you treating my BG to a layer of glasur? ;)

Yeah, really good, pretty impressed!
Can't wait to get them back tbh.

Some detailing goodies should be coming as well as my glasur. £10 a layer ;)

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Looks great Jon. A Trophy is certainly something I fancy owning at some point.

Those reservoirs make me tent.

LOL! Why would he need me when he has an endless supply off Ed???

Since giving up smoking it would seem you miss having something to suck on, think Chris was suggesting Jon's dick would be a suitable replacement?

As I said yesterday Jon, those seatbelts have come up so well! Will be comedy doing mine! They are vile at the moment!

My order came through form elite car care today, some top ups and some new bits. Still need to order new cloths and towels as well.

Got the bilt hamber hydrate 80 to treat the rust on the SACHS dampers.

eliteorder.jpg