ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Project 182

FULL FAT 182
Seems rather dissapointing mate. Drivability wise it may be alot better but it's alot of money for very little gain (over the usual exhaust/filter mods)

IMO

Yes and no Matthew, the car does sound great and go like the clappers but i was expecting more.The power delivery is more instant but is restricted by the short runner length of the manifold. Maybe it might be down to the mapping as i was only at RS Tuning for a short while but you never know.

Yeah could be mapping mate. Although IIRC arnt other people experiencing similar figures to you?

Looking at the peak figures obviously is only a limited incite, however only 5 or 6 peak bhp over the mods before, IMO doesn't seem value for money.

Not to mention the loss or torque?!

Ollie's Silver Cup
Hi Oliver hope all is well? The Iceberg is looking cool as a cucumber ;)

I will be the first person to have these cams fitted alongside the RS2 manifold, I was going to wait for Tom to produce "the calibration" but in this world if you want something done it's best to do it yourself !

Its a risk due to the amount of money and time but it will give everyone and idea what to expect. :approve:

Yes mate, all is going well. Thanks! :)

They're made by cat cams still, aren't they? Do you know how they differ from the 428 profile; I'm assuming they're not going to be too aggressive or lumpy?

I'm just waiting to hear back regarding the calibration work; then I can either proceed with getting the 428's in, or have the car mapped as it is.

Did the mapping make quite a noticeable difference to the feel/performance of the RS2, before and after mapping? Mine feels really good, even unmapped actually; although I've absolutely no idea how much power it's producing.

172 cup RS2 - 330ci
UPDATE

Since now i have been holding back showing the final results of my rolling road session after fitting the RS2 manifold, for some strange reason my car has only produced 181.5 bhp (Fly) and 146 lbs torque (Fly) with 150 bhp at the wheels :S.

Previously i have carried out dyno runs after pretty much every modification at my local dyno dynamics rollers as shown below.

Hayes Engineering (Dyno Dynamics) 10-05-2010
Fully Standard.
BHP @ Fly 167.7
FtLb @ Fly 147

Hayes Engineering (Dyno Dynamics) 06-11-2010
RS192 Exhaust + Itg Maxogen.
BHP @ Fly 172.8 5.1 gain From standard
FtLb @ Fly 152 5.0 gain From standard

RS Tuning (Dyno Dynamics) 02-06-2011
RS192 Exhaust, JMS RS2 Manifold,De-Cat,RS Tuning Map.
BHP @ Fly 181.5 13.8 gain From standard
FtLb @ Fly 146 1.0 gain From standard

Hayes engineering (Dyno Dynamics)11-06-2011
RS192 Exhaust, JMS RS2 Manifold,De-Cat,RS Tuning Map.
BHP @ Fly 182.4 14.7 gain From standard
FtLb @ Fly 144 3.0 Loss From standard

I must say being an honest folk that I found the whole JMS experience a bit of a roller-coaster ride with plenty of its ups and downs, i was disappointed with the results as i feel the acclaimed figures were slightly exaggerated as I was getting 10 bhp less than acclaimed. 10 bhp on a N/A engine is a hell of a lot of power to loose and the torque figures were less than a 3lbs than standard. As for the kit i looks the part and is well engineered and the time , money and effort has been well spent. Hats off to James and Tom top blokes and stayed late to get my car back on the road :)

Setting that aside i have decided to get in contact with David @ K-Tec regarding their new Cat Cam profile 5502438, provisionally i have booked the cams to be fitted including cam belt and mapping on Friday 12th August. David is intrigued to find out how the cams perform with the RS2 manifold as he thinks the torque figures are affected due to the runner lengths of the manifold, but I have a feeling that the cams will produce more torque and bhp from what i have at the moment. These cams will produce in the region of 185 Bhp and 165 Lbs Torque on the standard cast aluminium manifold.

I'll keep you lot posted on any results and any future updates :)

I hope mine makes a little more than this with the money involved! Is your timing out or something? As most I've seen make approx 190 bhp? Mine engine is totally standard apart from a de-cat and exhaust. Or as you say the mapping could be the fault, have you tried to contact JMS regarding this?

FULL FAT 182
I got the cambelt changed last year at rentec and going by their reputation I'm sure the timing is fine, I have contacted JMS but I've just gave up to be honest as there is nothing they can do about it.

I've got a few ideas up my sleeve to try and gain a few more bhp but I'll keep you lot posted.

If the timing is out I'll be relieved and hope to gain more power from the cat cams.
Cams are getting fitted on 12 august at k tec.

IMG_0243.jpg

Looks awesome! I was wondering how my BG 182 would look on Turinis... tempted to get some now but everyone else has them lol

sam55

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182 FF
Wow that looks awesome on Turini's. Are they the ET35 ones? Any trouble with rubbing?

BG182®
Nice update Nick. A little kind with some words with regards to the experience. All in all it's a great kit which goes with one of the smartest and well looked after 182's on here.

The 438's should make a very interesting day at Ktec, shame I can't come along but the results will be something to look forward to for sure. More so then my experience so far.

No compromise mate lol.

FULL FAT 182
Yes mate, all is going well. Thanks! :)

They're made by cat cams still, aren't they? Do you know how they differ from the 428 profile; I'm assuming they're not going to be too aggressive or lumpy?

I'm just waiting to hear back regarding the calibration work; then I can either proceed with getting the 428's in, or have the car mapped as it is.

Did the mapping make quite a noticeable difference to the feel/performance of the RS2, before and after mapping? Mine feels really good, even unmapped actually; although I've absolutely no idea how much power it's producing.

Hi Oliver,

the cams are still made by Cat Cams and are based on the 421 profile but the timing is different, once mapped correctly the cams will run fine.

I would personally wait till i get my cams fitted and see how the results pan out, im thinking that the lost torque will be regained and around 8hp.

To be honest i drove the car like a granny till the car got mapped as i thought this would cause problems thrashing it around, i was told there was some pre detonation problems when unmapped.
i think the cups will perform a bit better than my 182 due to the enlarged exhaust ports.

FULL FAT 182
Nice update Nick. A little kind with some words with regards to the experience. All in all it's a great kit which goes with one of the smartest and well looked after 182's on here.

The 438's should make a very interesting day at Ktec, shame I can't come along but the results will be something to look forward to for sure. More so then my experience so far.

No compromise mate lol.

I'm too kind mate but i cant tarnish the reputation a respectable tuning company, it been an interesting journey for us both and its not quite the end yet (especially you)

The cams are going to be a bit of a hit or miss but i like a challenge (well an easier one :) )

Ill give you a call / text and let you know how i get on, or you could do a sickie ;)

NO F******G COMPROMISE INDEED !!!!!!!

Clio 172
Is there any chance the throttle body hasn't been lined up properly? IIRC one of the other RS2 cars produced sub standard figures and it turned out the TB wasn't lined up properly.

172 cup RS2 - 330ci
Is there any chance the throttle body hasn't been lined up properly? IIRC one of the other RS2 cars produced sub standard figures and it turned out the TB wasn't lined up properly.

Yeah that's true, JMS sorted it out and it made more power??? If it was me I'd be phoning em up so that they can check. Its not a cheap piece of kit fair does

Clio 172
Also - you can't really compare your stock figure vs the RS2 due to the fact they were done on different dynos (calibration will always be different, even if they are both DD) and the compensation factor for drive train losses could be different.

FULL FAT 182
Will look awesome fitted mate, proper choice mod this :)
Thanks Matthew, I think the spoiler will look the bee's knees. I'm also getting the trophy suspension fitted on Friday, so once the spoiler is fitted it will be a full fat trophy :) and then a week on Friday getting the cams fitted at K-tec

FULL FAT 182
All i know is that the cams make 185 bhp and 165 lbs torque, if the results are say 192 bhp and say 155 ftlbs torque id be happy.

FULL FAT 182
I hope so mate, going to get k-tec to look over the manifold when i get the cams fitted just incase there are any obvious mistakes.

Ollie's Silver Cup
thanks dude :)

i should have it on by the weekend.

have you got your car mapped yet?

No mate, not mapped yet; still undecided on what's happening with the cams.

Hoping there's some information soon, so I can start planning for fitting/mapping. :)

Not long now until your 438's go in either! :cool:

FULL FAT 182
I think i should be getting paid by JMS for getting the cams tested, im all booked in for the 12 th august for the cams/belt it going to be a long day.

Ollie's Silver Cup
I think i should be getting paid by JMS for getting the cams tested, im all booked in for the 12 th august for the cams/belt it going to be a long day.

I'm looking forward to seeing the results you get, hoping it shows that cams work well alongside the manifold. Interested to see how they perform with the runner length of the RS2. :)

Out of interest, did your car feel noticeably quicker when you had the RS2 fitted than standard? As, even unmapped, mine feels much improved over standard.

Last edited:
  FULL FAT 182
I'm looking forward to seeing the results you get, hoping it shows that cams work well alongside the manifold. Interested to see how they with the runner length of the RS2. :)

Out of interest, did your car feel noticeably quicker when you had the RS2 fitted than standard? As, even unmapped, mine feels much improved over standard.

The car felt quick but it was mainly a placebo effect due to the raw of the air filter, its differently quicker but the mid range torque feels restricted for some reason ie not as fun as the 5k kick.
im hoping the cams will give the power delivery a big kick up the arse as it needs it !

Predictions are as follows

190 bhp
155 lbs

FULL FAT 182
Managed to get the trophy suspension fitted yesterday, all I can say that it's by far the best modification I have made.
The ride is slightly stiffer but reacts well to covering and handles speed bumps very well.the ride height is slightly higher almost the same as the non cup Packed 182.

I'm just awaiting my spoiler to arrive from spray shack (Monday) then it's trophy spec'd

FULL FAT 182
Managed to get the trophy suspension fitted yesterday, all I can say that it's by far the best modification I have made.
The ride is slightly stiffer but reacts well to covering and handles speed bumps very well.the ride height is slightly higher almost the same as the non cup Packed 182.

I'm just awaiting my spoiler to arrive from spray shack (Monday) then it's trophy spec'd

FULL FAT 182
I had some free time this morning so i gave the car a once over as i haven't cleaned it for over 2 months, the snow foam is a laugh too.

IMG_0457.jpg

IMG_0458.jpg

And a couple with the trophy suspension

Before

IMG_0240.jpg

After

IMG_0460.jpg

IMG_0461.jpg

FULL FAT 182
BTW the boot has the original cup suspension and a sub for the tuneage. the back should lift ever so slightly.

The suspension mod has been far the best thing ive done to the car bar the brake set-up.

FULL FAT 182
Matt im not too bothered about the height of the car, ive been there and got the t shirt with lowering car in the past its not worth the hassle.

e92 + E46 M3 + Cup

When Tom first started work on designing/ building the RS2 it was always designed/ tested to run on standard internals (cams/pistons/head etc) we've had major differences with the rs2 power out puts between cars, the first 5 cars all pulled 190+ at pauls (rstuning) sadly all the f4r's vary in power output & we cannot guarantee figures even more so when cams etc are fitted as the rs2 was never designed to run with them, it's not to say it can't as mine worked really well with the c&b camshafts but it's your call if you want to see the outcome.

That aside, cars looking really smart mate