ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Power steering? whine when turning

Trophy has been parked up overnight and when I came to use it for a 5 minute journey this morning it made a whining noise on (almost) full lock when setting off.

As I got to the car park and was manoeuvring into the space, each time I turned the wheels quite far it would make a whining noise as I was driving.

My gearbox crunches in 3rd every now and again if giving it some stick but has been fine otherwise.

I'm wondering if it might be somethingto do with that being on its way out, or my power steering perhaps. Also a way to check/sort it.

Thanks x

I've just thought, there was a load of fluid on the street where cars usually park but I thought it was from another car on the street since I only spotted it there when I got home after the car being away all day. It couldn't be something to do with that could it? What might it be if so?

It was all rainbow colours on the road and that's how I noticed it. It was last week though and everything's been alright since. What should I be checking for and where should I be looking etc. please? Obviously I'll check the fluid level, but for leaks and stuff...

It's power steering fluid 😧

It does it mainly when stationary and steering, but I can hear it when driving normally and steering at speed (not as loud though).

I checked the bottle and it's above minimum, but really thick? Like it doesn't move when I rock the bottle from side to side. Is that normal?

I spotted a drip coming underneath where the sump guard cover is so dabbed it with a cloth and its the same stuff smell wise.

Does anyone know which I should be using so I can keep the bottle topped up, or has anyone had a similar issue and knows what it might be? I need the car for work on Monday so it's typical it fails on me now 😧

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
Mines done this noise since I bought it 3 years ago.

Power steering fluid is quite thick when cold though.

The whine has got louder and more fluid has pissed out overnight. I'm thinking I might need to replace the pump. Where's the best place to get one potentially at short notice? A genuine one like.

Cheers.

OK the garage just put some fluid in and that's sorted the horrible noise out. It was really loud to the point you had to cover your ears and now it's silent again.

So the pump must be alright still - we just need to find the leak. I'm guessing it's one of the hoses and he's going to have a look at some point this week. Does anyone have a part number/price for one of these high pressure hoses that it could be? Or any other ideas in the mean time?

x

dan's cast offs.
Bin it and go elecy power steering. Pumps don't like being run dry so don't be surprised if it gets noisy again even with fluid in.

Clio 182
Hopefully not the same but when i had my clio i had a leaking ps hose, turns out there was a heatshield that basically wore a hole in the pipe from vibration, the mechanic at the time said he had seen it on 3 clios all at 70k-ish miles - that said not sure what yours

Bin it and go elecy power steering. Pumps don't like being run dry so don't be surprised if it gets noisy again even with fluid in.
Will you fit it all for me? :tonguewink: I would like to do that but have no idea what I'm doing or what I need. I've never had to deal with steering issues before.

Which explains this thread!

dan's cast offs.
Will you fit it all for me? :tonguewink: I would like to do that but have no idea what I'm doing or what I need. I've never had to deal with steering issues before.

Which explains this thread!

no problem, easy enough job to do. worst part is if you don't change the rack is getting the boot back in place at the bottom of the column.