ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Possible damper failure?

RB 182
When going over bumps I get a harsh thud noise from driver side, likewise if im going realitevly fast around a left hand corner I can hear a judder/scrubbin noise from the same side. I don't drive the car hard so it's not as if im thraping the cr*p out of it, this is just normal driving.

Jacked up the car to check if the spring was cracked etc and all looked fine, the damper was a little wet but I had just washed the car. When loweing back down I did hear the oil in the damper, am i right in thinking the shocks have gone? they are only a few years old when cooksports were fitted. If they need replacing, is it good practice to replace both? Where is the best place to get these from if so?

Oh, and I have an MOT this month, would it fail on the damper if it were leaking?

Cheers,

Mike

Amos91

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
Light misting of oil is an mot advisory, anything more will fail.

New shocks aren't that expensive depend if cup / cup pack etc. They are about £80 for the pair from the Renault Parts Direct trader on here.

RB 182
Had new dampers fitted and problem still there. I noticed that on the top mount there is some play between the rubber seat and metal nut when fixed onto the damper, I called @MicKPM and he confirmed there should be some play but only a small amount. The top mounts are the new spec and only 3 years old, does it sound like these have gone? I'm considering getting some solid top mounts if they only seem to last a short time.

RB 182
Thought i'd update this - ended up being engine mount which had failed. The bottom section had split causing the rubber to drop 15-20mm hence why over bumps I had a loud knock (engine must have been free to move up and down), and scrubbing noise due to the engine moving to the left and I can only assume pushing the drive shaft into the hub. Decided to fit a new upper gearbox mount and powerflex yellow engine mount too.