ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Pops and bangs, maybe it’s not meant to be?

Ill probably get stick for this but anyway..

I have recently been trying to get my car to pop and bang or see if it is possible anyway and it just doesn’t!, I know obviously I could get an RS tuner and the overrun map but surely it’s possible to do it without this right? Ive only heard it pop a few times on the motorway after driving a really long distance and thinking back I'm not convinced it was the car popping, could have been something banging in my boot lol

I currently have a decat and a nice sounding exhaust which tbh is probably a bit too loud/deep, I’ve tried all sorts, feathering the throttle, dropping the clutch ect, nothing not even a gurgle it just runs dead smooth! I would say the exhaust gets hot enough too so it should ignite anything left over :/

the car does already have a Ron98 map.. is it possible that the car is running that economically that it isn’t wasting any fuel? I get 44mpg average and 400miles to a tank easy.

a friend has said to try heat wrapping the exhaust?

Last edited:

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member
Yes if you go for a unsilecned centre section it will be louder, but you will get pops/ bangs on overrun.

I have a ktec stealth/ decat and OEM centre section and 98 Ron map. And it has never pop/ banged on overrun in over 30k.

Clio Trophy
Mine has a ktec system with no centre, it's loud but not stupidly loud, mine only pops when it's cold

So basically it is too efficient to pop? how does the RS tuner map do it?

Not too efficient. It's safe.

The pops and bangs map allows over-run fuelling, but only around 22:1afr, then retards the ignition between 12 and 16 degrees atdc.

Which inturn means that the mixture is still burning as it enters the exhaust stroke. Which then means those valve stems are being subjected to much higher temperatures than they were ever designed and tested to. Which then fatigues them at a massively higher rate until the inevitable happens.

Not too efficient. It's safe.

The pops and bangs map allows over-run fuelling, but only around 22:1afr, then retards the ignition between 12 and 16 degrees atdc.

Which inturn means that the mixture is still burning as it enters the exhaust stroke. Which then means those valve stems are being subjected to much higher temperatures than they were ever designed and tested to. Which then fatigues them at a massively higher rate until the inevitable happens.

eek, ill stick to not poping then :)

1.6 Focus, 1.6 122S
My 182 with standard exhaust, BMC Panel Filter and Superchips map used to spit a few flames, but that was after VERY hard driving.

My mate was following me the other night when I booted it off a roundabout and said a spat a flame when I changed gear. From inside I heard a little pop but nothing is one get excited about.
Not sure how often it happens as I've not long had the car back from Dan@SJM

KitsonRis

ClioSport Club Member
My gargles when it is cold, like pulling off in the morings and lifting off in 1st going down the road or work car park. However, apparently I have a hole in my exhasut as my emissions were on the limit on the last MOT test but the tester couldn't actually find it. But once it warms up it makes no noises.

Oo I've never looked into cams before, how do they make a difference and what gains and at what cost?

Tony is on one of my favourite fast road setups.

Induction kit, decat back exhaust, 197 cams, with ARP rod bolts. And mapped to suit.

Standard pricing is £610 for an air con vehicle to have the belts replaced with dephaser. £100 to install and time the cams up properly, £250 to remap it. And he supplied the cams.

BG Clio 182 FF
Oo I've never looked into cams before, how do they make a difference and what gains and at what cost?

Very expensive compared to the power gains - probably over a thousand pounds for about 10/15 bhp.

Best time to do them would be when the timing belt is due.

BG Clio 182 FF
Tony is on one of my favourite fast road setups.

Induction kit, decat back exhaust, 197 cams, with ARP rod bolts. And mapped to suit.

Standard pricing is £610 for an air con vehicle to have the belts replaced with dephaser. £100 to install and time the cams up properly, £250 to remap it. And he supplied the cams.

Don't suppose you fancy dropping a set in for me on Tuesday? ;)

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
my 172 on a 182 manifold, ktec decat and ktec stealth exhaust with matched inlets and the standard map used to pop flames on high rpm gear changes when it was mega hot