ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Picking my 172 cup up saturday

Clio 172 Mk2
Hey all!

I'm new to this forum and am 2 days away from picking up my 172 cup which i put a deposit down on last weekend, just wanted to share my excitement lol!

Think i got a pretty good deal on the car, its a 52 plate with 14,800 miles on the clock, absolutely immaculate condition, got it for £6700, is this a good price?

Anyway i am sooooooooooo excited about picking it up, this week is going so slow. My current car is a fiesta zetec s 1.6 so i take it im gonna notice a lot of difference in power??? Been reading through the forums and have already ordered a set of eibach sportlines for it, roll on saturday!!!!!!!!!!!!

172 Cup
Nice one mate, i came from a fiesta zs aswell and went to my 182cup and its a totally different world :)

Clio 172 Mk2
ah cool mate, did you notice a big difference in power?? What's the fuel difference like over the zs?

172 Cup
nosluom said:
ah cool mate, did you notice a big difference in power?? What's the fuel difference like over the zs?

Huge difference in power....
you will love it:) i still go for spins in the zs as its my girlfriends car now..

Depends how you drive it really for the fuel. but my 182 drinks it over the zs

get some pics of the cup up

Clio 172 Mk2
Ah you've made me even more excited now mate, gutted the day will go even slower now haha. Have to say the ZS has always been a lovely car to drive, gives you great feedback and handles superbly. Lacks the power though at times so hoping the 172 cup makes up for it!!

172 Cup
You'll f**king love the Cup mate. The Zetec S is a fantastic car, I love driving my mates' one. Just remember the lack of ABS on the Cup.. if you rely on it in the ZS just remember it's not there any more. haha.

Clio 172 Mk2
Yeah i was thinking about the abs the other day actually, it came in very handy on the zs a few months back when i didnt see a car in front. will have to make sure i keep my eyes peeled in the cup lol.

Am quite sad to see the zs go because i did a lot of nice subtle mods to it but am looking forward to pastures new and this seems a top forum as was ZSOC.

Just out of interest, does the cup like to be driven hard?? Is it ok to constantly take it up to 7k rpm?

C

clio172cup20

nosluom said:
Yeah i was thinking about the abs the other day actually, it came in very handy on the zs a few months back when i didnt see a car in front. will have to make sure i keep my eyes peeled in the cup lol.

Am quite sad to see the zs go because i did a lot of nice subtle mods to it but am looking forward to pastures new and this seems a top forum as was ZSOC.

Just out of interest, does the cup like to be driven hard?? Is it ok to constantly take it up to 7k rpm?

Nice one mate,
My cup 172 was my first car... and its really quick!! takes a few months to learn it!!

Dont race it about.. you race it... it will break!! and cost $$$$
I found that out :/

S-Max
7k rpm is cool, wouldn't do it constantly mind... You will absolutely love the car, Ive had mine for 4 months and still smile as I fly past some st170 or cooper s :)

Not a bad price, very low mileage for age as well. Mines an 03 and mines done 38k

Clio 172 Mk2
yeah i thought the mileage seemed pretty low. Is an excellent example, the blokes had it from new and really looked after it. Can't wait to polish the hell out of it with me porta cable!

172 Cup
Don't listen to what anyone else says the Cup loves to be trashed. lol. Wait until it's warm tho, give it a good few miles to get the temperature up to scratch... mine always feels a bit ropey until it's warmed up.

The power doesn't come in until 5k. But as previously stated it takes a good few weeks to get used to it, I reckon you'll be hitting the limiter a lot until you find your feet in it. I was hitting the limiter in 2nd quite a bit until you learn how and when to change up a gear.

Thinking back, it was bloody fun to learn the car back then. Loved it! :D

Where abouts are you from mate?

Clio 172 Mk2
I'm from crewe mate in cheshire. Only ever seen one 172 cup round my way so really happy about it! Is the torque quite low on the car then up until 5k rpm or do you just get an extra boost when you hit this? I take it 5k is when the vvt kicks in?

good choice and welcome to the cup club . lol

all you need is to get yourself to the nw meet on sunday . and then you can give it a blast

172 Cup
The 5k kick is nothing to do with the VVT mate. The car pulls alright up til 5k, but when you get to 5k that's where the power is. You'll want to keep it up there if you wanna move quick.

pecan said:
Don't listen to what anyone else says the Cup loves to be trashed.

Don't think anyones saying that mate! LOL ;)

It does'nt mind a bit of stick once its warmed up, a mild thrashing even.

Good price nosluom I reckon.

My cup is my first car. Drove parents 1.6 Astra previously, so it was quite a step up for me! Borrowed the Astra recently and it felt gutless to say the least, used to think it was quite nippy.

Clio 172 Mk2
cheers everyone, i'll make sure i post some pics up when i get it at the weekend!!! God so excited now, recieved my 172 cup car mats this afternoon, they're gonna look ace inside!

Hmmm.... I could do with some new mat's. Got knackered "coupe" mat's at the mo that the previous owner had for some reason.

Clio 172 Mk2
well peeps i picked my 172 cup saturday, oh my god where the hell has this car been all my life i absolutely love it lol. Power is unbelievable compared to my zs and the handling although good on the fiesta is absolutely awesome on the cup.
It has a twin pipe magnex fitted and i have to say it sounds fantastic, everyone who's been in it over the weekend loves it!! So glad i've got it now.
Just a quick question, think the front tyres are gonna need changing soon, what ones shall i go for and wheres the cheapest??