ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Phone: HTC Desire vs iPhone?

Mugen Type R/SLK55 AMG
i had an iphone and now got a desire. the desire is a far better phone with better hardware and value for money, and when 2.2 comes out it will give iphone 4 a hard time. iphone is also way over priced!

Exactly what I said earlier...

All of the people who have owned both have posted on here have saying that the Desire is better than their 3G/3GS so ultimately that sums it up with the current Apple model.

Because the Desire is built on such a good hardware platform and Android is becoming popular with lots of phone manufacturers it is going to benefit massively from new features which will be released in the form of FREE software updates rather than expensive annual hardware upgrades which spoon feed a few extras (like HSDPA access when Apple released the 3GS).

I'm looking forward to seeing the development of Android 2.2 along with a major release when they hit version 3. I would put my money on Google and their willingness to support the hardware long term and also open their software up to the open source world.

Last edited:
LOL at the fanboys of each side. Both are/will be good phones, but when my contract is due for renewal I'll probably look at a desire, as I can't stand itunes and don't really want to pay the premium for an iphone.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Exactly what I said earlier...

All of the people who have owned both have posted on here have saying that the Desire is better than their 3G/3GS so ultimately that sums it up with the current Apple model.

Because the Desire is built on such a good hardware platform and Android is becoming popular with lots of phone manufacturers it is going to benefit massively from new features which will be released in the form of FREE software updates rather than expensive annual hardware upgrades which spoon feed a few extras (like HSDPA access when Apple released the 3GS).

I'm looking forward to seeing the development of Android 2.2 along with a major release when they hit version 3. I would put my money on Google and their willingness to support the hardware long term and also open their software up to the open source world.

Ok now you have my attention.

1. The Desire is built on a similar hardware platform as the 3G and the 3GS, it just has a faster processor, but its the same architecture. Lets not get things confused here, its powerful but not much more than a 3GS is with a slower processor.

2. Free software updates? does Froyo/2.2 work on a G1?

3. The iPhone 3G (Not the 3GS) Has HSDPA as well.

4. Android is a GREAT OS, but don't rule out iOS's dominance in the market due to its lack of fragmentation and support of older users. Android is great but theres a few pissed off Hero owners that will move to iPhone 4 because of this near ridiculous software set-up that google has decided on.

As soon as Android overcomes this they'll be a decent player. Its very early days for them still.

LOL at the fanboys of each side. Both are/will be good phones, but when my contract is due for renewal I'll probably look at a desire, as I can't stand itunes and don't really want to pay the premium for an iphone.

Out of curiosity, why's that?

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Probably doesn't know how to use it. or thinks that dragging and dropping thousands of tracks manually is a elegant solution.

You only have to see how double twist has taken off with android users to see how iTunes-style music management is the way forward.

Clio 182 cup'd
Itunes is poo. Sometimes it randomly refuses to adds tracks to the library, or in some cases, it has refused to add an entire CD with no explanation at all. It does have many positives, but is a pain sometimes!

Itunes is poo. Sometimes it randomly refuses to adds tracks to the library, or in some cases, it has refused to add an entire CD with no explanation at all. It does have many positives, but is a pain sometimes!

Due to user error 100% of the time.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
iTunes on windows is a very very strange beast to be totally fair.

I'm guessing v10 will be decent on both supported platforms.

iTunes on windows is a very very strange beast to be totally fair.

I'm guessing v10 will be decent on both supported platforms.

You do have a point. I was very frustrated with it on Windows.

v10 won't be about for a while though. There's no need for it to be.

Clio 182 cup'd
Due to user error 100% of the time.

How?

Put CD in.

Message "Do you want to import?"

Click "yes"

Job done.

Check album on Itunes, and a track is missing!

The Killers Hot Fuss is a prime example. "somebody told me" is missing. I own the CD, I put it in my computer to import it and the track has vanished, there are no duplicates or anything, it has just vanished.

Don't get me wrong, most of the time iTunes does a job, but its not perfect, despite being made by Apple.

I've never tried an alrernative as I have an Ipod and Iphone so I have no need to.

As you've said I don't like it because its s**te to use on windows. Maybe later versions have improved but it used to slow stuff down. I don't really copy music onto my phone so I don't need it for that really but I've also heard you need to install itunes just to update the phone and do other things (i may be wrong)

I don't have an issue with how it manages music.

Last edited:
  Mugen Type R/SLK55 AMG
Ok now you have my attention.

1. The Desire is built on a similar hardware platform as the 3G and the 3GS, it just has a faster processor, but its the same architecture. Lets not get things confused here, its powerful but not much more than a 3GS is with a slower processor.

2. Free software updates? does Froyo/2.2 work on a G1?

3. The iPhone 3G (Not the 3GS) Has HSDPA as well.

4. Android is a GREAT OS, but don't rule out iOS's dominance in the market due to its lack of fragmentation and support of older users. Android is great but theres a few pissed off Hero owners that will move to iPhone 4 because of this near ridiculous software set-up that google has decided on.

As soon as Android overcomes this they'll be a decent player. Its very early days for them still.

1. Wrong.

The 3G has a 400Mhz ARM processor and the 3GS has a 600Mhz ARM processor.

The HTC Desire has 1Ghz Snapdragon Processor.

The architechture and CPU instruction set ibetween ARM and Snapdragon is competely different.

2. Wrong

This topic is about the HTC Desire and the iPhone, not the G1. The G1 is an old model, released in 2008. It has significatly less processing power than the HTC Desire. It's likely that future software will not be able to run on this platform.

3. Wrong

The iPhone 3G does not support HSDPA. HSDPA is part of the 3.5G protocol standard. UMTS is part of the 3G protocol standard. Apple did not allow its customers to utilise the benefits of HSDPA until it released the 3GS, even thought the protocol had been implemented in mobile networks for several years.

4. A matter of opinion.

Most people who have Apple phones are faced with similar support issues (iOS 4 on the 3G) and are forced to upgrade each year to be spoon fed basic features such as a decent camera that has a flash and HSDPA. You can obtain the latest Android phones free on most contracts where as the Apple handsets are likely to cost more.

But trolls are normally correct. Or at least entertaining. This one's neither.

So you're not allowed to mention the G1 because it was out in 2008? But you've been banging on about the 3G? Which was released in ermm, yeh, that's it, 2008.

How are you forced to upgrade? I'm yet to see Steve Jobs knocking on the door with a gun making me buy a new iPhone.

Mugen Type R/SLK55 AMG
As you've said I don't like it because its s**te to use on windows. Maybe later versions have improved but it used to slow stuff down. I don't really copy music onto my phone so I don't need it for that really but I've also heard you need to install itunes just to update the phone and do other things (i may be wrong)

I don't have an issue with how it manages music.

You are correct in what you are saying this is because iTunes for Windows uses non-native APIs such as CoreFoundation and CoreGraphics making the application a sub-standard piece of software and hindering the experience of the Windows user.

3. Wrong

The iPhone 3G does not support HSDPA. HSDPA is part of the 3.5G protocol standard. UMTS is part of the 3G protocol standard. Apple did not allow its customers to utilise the benefits of HSDPA until it released the 3GS, even thought the protocol had been implemented in mobile networks for several years.

WRONG

The iPhone 3G introduced support for third-generation UMTS and HSDPA 3.6,[94] but not HSUPA networks, and only the iPhone 3GS supports HSDPA 7.2

Mugen Type R/SLK55 AMG
But trolls are normally correct. Or at least entertaining. This one's neither.

So you're not allowed to mention the G1 because it was out in 2008? But you've been banging on about the 3G? Which was released in ermm, yeh, that's it, 2008.

How are you forced to upgrade? I'm yet to see Steve Jobs knocking on the door with a gun making me buy a new iPhone.

And the award for Apples biggest fangirl goes to...

Lol. Yeah. Okay. You do realise I'm a girl? So calling me a girl isn't going to offend me. You're the only fanboy in this thread.

You can counteract any of these points if you want, accurately might be a good idea instead of just making things up like you seem too.

You need to do it quickly because you're posts are about to run out for the day.

You are correct in what you are saying this is because iTunes for Windows uses non-native APIs such as CoreFoundation and CoreGraphics making the application a sub-standard piece of software and hindering the experience of the Windows user.

It doesn't really matter, because Windows hinder the users experience of their own OS.

Apple don't have to make iTunes compatible with Windows, but they do, just to be nice to the people still silly enough to use it.

Mugen Type R/SLK55 AMG
You can counteract any of these points if you want, accurately might be a good idea instead of just making things up like you seem too.

You need to do it quickly because you're posts are about to run out for the day.

HTML5 is a long way off and is not on most web dev's radars. Youtube and Facebook are a very small part of the internet.

So far I've made one mistake, whereas you have made many more.

Laters.

Yay, she's gone for the day.

You really need to start vetting people who join the forum!! If they're not using OS X, then they can't join...

It'll be back tomorrow. Probably gone off to fix his phone because the latest app he download crashed it or something.

HTML5 is a long way off and is not on most web dev's radars. Youtube and Facebook are a very small part of the internet.

So far I've made one mistake, whereas you have made many more.

Laters.
Yeah, YouTube and Facebook are tiny. Barely anyone uses those websites.

Definitely not 2 of the 3 biggest websites in the world.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
1. Wrong.

The 3G has a 400Mhz ARM processor and the 3GS has a 600Mhz ARM processor.

The HTC Desire has 1Ghz Snapdragon Processor.

The architechture and CPU instruction set ibetween ARM and Snapdragon is competely different.

So the Snapdragon in the desire/N1 doesn't use the A8 instruction set? (V7)
You might want to check your facts there. Because Qualcomm seem to think it does. Not to mention its based on ARM architecture (Granted its not a cortex variant but i think using the instruction set and having similar architecture wouldn't make what i said "wrong" at all)

Next..

2. Wrong

This topic is about the HTC Desire and the iPhone, not the G1. The G1 is an old model, released in 2008. It has significatly less processing power than the HTC Desire. It's likely that future software will not be able to run on this platform.

I agree, but it was you that brought up the upgrades.
Lets take the Hero for another example and compare it to the 3G

Hero Received 2 android revisions (Still yet to recieve 2.1 officially in UK), 3G managed iOS 2, then iOS 3 and finally iOS 4. Now thats value.

I could go on mentioning other Android phones that promised magical upgrades that never appeared. But thats enough from me

3. Wrong

You are wrong on this.

4. A matter of opinion.

Most people who have Apple phones are faced with similar support issues (iOS 4 on the 3G) and are forced to upgrade each year to be spoon fed basic features such as a decent camera that has a flash and HSDPA. You can obtain the latest Android phones free on most contracts where as the Apple handsets are likely to cost more.

As already explained earlier and in my second correction your argument is flawed.

But thanks for entertaining me.

Last edited:
  BMW M4; S1000 RR
Ok so had my Desire for a day now.

When I opened it I thought the screen was a bit bright (find it funny how I can complain about that!). It's horrible in the sun, iPhone easily wins when the sun is shining on the screen directly, but I understand that's the price you pay for OLED.

Anyway, I think this phone is fantastic, the widgets are cool, the Google functionality (as you'd expect) is awesome, had no idea what Google Buzz or Latitude were before now.

Snapdragon processor annihilates my 3G (but then it should) it loads the Apple website over HSDPA faster than my home computer does on the broadband lol.

Main complaint really is that it's just not an iPhone :( It's a really good phone, and if Tesco hadn't just released the details of it's 12 month contract with a £300 subsidised phone I'd definitely be keeping it. That's based on my impressions of 2.1 Android aswell. I've played on a Nexus One with 2.2 (Froyo) on it and it's so so so so much faster it's silly. Really amazing update, even the screen seems like it's been upgraded somehow.

ITB'd MK1
you know you can adjust the brightness dont you? ;)

Can't wait for 2.2 update OTA, tempted to root....

the Vs arguement is a little pointless really, different tastes and all that. They're both very good hardware, I just dont like the apple way of doing things, hence my personal choice

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
If you angle the screen right in sun light it's not so bad tbh.
As above, can't wait for froyo. It should transform it. Latest is it should be out in about 2 weeks according to XDAdevelopers. That and the fact I need my Copilot working for France next month are the only reason I've not gone down the rooting road yet.

Audi A4 1.8T Sport
OLED: Organic Light Emitting Diode is a new screen technology to rival LCD and plasma.

AMOLED: Active Matrix Organic Light Emitting Diode.

There is no substantial difference between the two. Active Matrix is a method for controlling individual pixels.

thanks.

my statement still stands

BMW M4; S1000 RR
you know you can adjust the brightness dont you? ;)

Can't wait for 2.2 update OTA, tempted to root....

the Vs arguement is a little pointless really, different tastes and all that. They're both very good hardware, I just dont like the apple way of doing things, hence my personal choice

I love the Apple way of doing things. I don't really care about the Flash thing, it has a place and admittedly can be cool (Joe Cartoon if you're 12:eek:) but the screen response is what I'm all about.

Really recommend 2.2. Can't say enough how much it improves the phone overall. Speed wise more than anything. I'd go down the rooting path anyway dude, it gives you the cool features like making a wifi hotspot out of your phone (very handy feature although rinses the battery pretty quickly).

Quite straight forward with all the guides out there too.

I think what has pissed me off more then anything is Apple decided on a "Micro-Sim", which they created themselves. I get bored of my phones very easily (currently swap my sim card between my Blackberry and 3G quite often) now I can't do that if I go for an iPhone 4.

My next phone will be Android I think due to it being very easily customisable.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
I think what has pissed me off more then anything is Apple decided on a "Micro-Sim", which they created themselves. I get bored of my phones very easily (currently swap my sim card between my Blackberry and 3G .

What? b****cks.

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
How anyone prefers a Desire to the 3GS... let alone the iPhone 4, is a mystery to me.

Even casting aside the fact I love Apple, I've used a Desire on and off for the past few days and it's f*cking awful.

Revels Mum & Sister
Sorry Christopher but that is just b****cks. You cannot compare on/off use of it along side an iPhone. You need to use it properly for a decent amount of time. Once you have it set how you want it works very well. The screen is far better than the 3G/3GS and it is far snappier.

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
I couldn't use it for any length of time. It really annoyed me that much. That's why it was on/off. :(

05 Plate MG ZR 105 Trophy
What annoyed you about it then?. There's a few bugs I have noticed when texting and the fact that mine hangs a lot on shut down (common problem). Other than that, its the best fone I have used tbh. Can't comment on the iPhone, as I have never had one lol.