ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Phone: HTC Desire vs iPhone?

182FF with cup packs
Sim is identical to a conventional sim. Apple didn't invent it.

Much as I hate to side with the Apple lot on anything :rasp: It was developed by the European Telecommunications Standards Institute and has absolutely nothing to do with Apple.

I'm sure you could even make yourself an adaptor to use it in any other phone. Onthe flip side, somee people have actually been taking knives to normal SIMs to put into iPads so they can use their current data plans.

Mugen Type R/SLK55 AMG
Apple = No Flash = Fail

Apple Fanboys and Professional Trolljunkies = Fail

Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit + HTC Desire + PS3 + XBox360 = Win

SLK55 + Sunshine = Win

LMFAO

Oh, she's back.

Lack of flash isn't a fail, when HTML5 is the future. Flash is buggy as hell.

And don't get me started on Windows.

Lets see how quickly you can use your 5 posts up today. ;)

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Ouch, you got beat.

Needless to say i'm happy to prove you wrong on almost anything. Not just phones.

We all like differnt phones, and these my phone is better than yours arguments will go on forever.

If you want the best screen out there get an iphone4
If you want to be able to make calls and send texts, get a desire ;)

Personally, I don't like the look of the desire, the two tone colours scheme is pretty naff, no denying its a very good phone though!

Iphone4.... will reserve judgement till the misses gets hers (if they make a left handed unit availiable)

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
my bro has an htc. no idea what one it is. has the slightly angled front on it.

seems quite good.

but for me, it ain't an iphone. my iphone is just beast.

not really a valid argument but there we go. LOL

Mito Sportiva 135
I've got an HTC Hero and the only thing the iPhone has got that I would like is Doodlejump.

However iPhone 4 looks pretty cool, guess I'll make my mind up in 10 months when my next upgrade is due.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
We all like differnt phones, and these my phone is better than yours arguments will go on forever.

If you want the best screen out there get an iphone4
If you want to be able to make calls and send texts, get a desire ;)

Personally, I don't like the look of the desire, the two tone colours scheme is pretty naff, no denying its a very good phone though!

Iphone4.... will reserve judgement till the misses gets hers (if they make a left handed unit availiable)

Mate, i know this. The Desire is decent. The iPhone is decent.
But using bullshit arguments is not decent.

I've advised plenty of (Poor) people i know to buy a desire. Its a epic phone.

BMW 330ci Clubsport
I can't stand itunes.
The only thing I dislike about it is how it has to show all your tracks on one screen, why can't you just click and see one artist/album (Without making a playlist or searching for what you want)?

2. Free software updates? does Froyo/2.2 work on a G1?
Froyo isn't released yet. The source is, but the official ROM isn't. So its hardly up for debate. I run 2.1 on my G1 (Cyanogen ROM) although its not official, it runs a lot better than 1.6. Cyanogen will eventually be working on 2.2 after all the small kinks from his 2.1 ROM have been fixed

Hero Received 2 android revisions (Still yet to recieve 2.1 officially in UK), 3G managed iOS 2, then iOS 3 and finally iOS 4. Now thats value.
But really what has been updated in that time for the 3G? The only things I can think of are folders and user defined wallpaper. Feel free to prove me wrong though, the only iPhone I've been interested in is the 4

I could go on mentioning other Android phones that promised magical upgrades that never appeared. But thats enough from me.
Fortunately Google knows that because its open source the communities will do a lot of work towards making their phone's better. Also remember Google made the OS, HTC/Samsung/Moterola/However else build the phones, Google can't be expected to provide updates for all these phones

Can't wait for 2.2 update OTA, tempted to root....
Rooting opens you to a whole new world, I would highly recommend it (And its very hard to brick your phone, just remember to never pull the battery and follow the instructions)

I think what has pissed me off more then anything is Apple decided on a "Micro-Sim", which they created themselves. I get bored of my phones very easily (currently swap my sim card between my Blackberry and 3G quite often) now I can't do that if I go for an iPhone 4.
o2 can provide you with an adapter for free, just go in-store

How anyone prefers a Desire to the 3GS... let alone the iPhone 4, is a mystery to me.

Even casting aside the fact I love Apple, I've used a Desire on and off for the past few days and it's f*cking awful.
A closed mind sees nothing

Flash is laggy as hell.)
Fixed

And don't get me started on Windows.
Someone said something about iTunes problems being down to user errors, the same is for Windows. And don't start the "I'd use Windows if I wanted a virus blah blah", Mac is going to be hit with a lot over the next 5 years with its growing popularity. Hackers see Windows users as an easy target, because half of them are dumbasses! Safari is a very unsafe browser as well

BMW M4; S1000 RR
And don't start the "I'd use Windows if I wanted a virus blah blah"

LOL

Well I'm back to square one, I'm sure iMovie will get updates but it's not that impressive to me right now (sure it's cool to have on a phone, but the camera quality from what I have seen first hand isn't nearly as good as the demo shots by Apple, no surprise really but it's still a shame).

The screen is amazing. No doubt, and the UI is same old iPhone, using one makes me want one. But then the little things on the Desire make me want to keep it!

HQ Youtube, current location weather and searches, a decent eBay app, Facebook integration (for the contact pictures alone!), unlimited data plan for tethering. Just a shame there's a few things wrong with it that when they spring to mind, you'll always want an iPhone.

BMW 330ci Clubsport
HQ Youtube, current location weather and searches, a decent eBay app, Facebook integration (for the contact pictures alone!), unlimited data plan for tethering. Just a shame there's a few things wrong with it that when they spring to mind, you'll always want an iPhone.

All of which Android has, and in the case of Facebook integration Android was first to have that ;)
Its nice to be able to see your friends Facebook status' whilst you're texting them

Clio 197
Never used an iPhone... but the desire is growing on me and I'm finding it easier to use all the time. That's two weeks after getting it.

I'd come from windows mobile (running manilla), yet found the desire a bit awkward to use for the first week...

...now we all know how s**t wm6 is, so it can only be down to the fact that you just need to get used to it at the end of the day.

Battery life could be better... but a spare battery is only 25 quid vs an extra 400 for a you know what.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
LOL WTF

Why can't I make up my mind here.

I'm now planning on sending the Desire back this week and getting an iPhone the following week. The battery life on the Desire is just absolutely shite. Didn't even last 12 hours yesterday!! If it had twice the battery capacity I'd think twice, but at the moment I'm planning on getting the 4. Just to decide whether to wait for the White one or not...

BMW 330ci Clubsport
Turn the brightness down on the screen and it will save about 2 hours. Also turn the screen off to 15 seconds. You'd be surprised by how much it helps

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
see i haven't charged my iphone 4 since sat morning.

been on since then and still has a good 35% leff at present. been using wifi/calls/texts etc. battery seems quite good to me.

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
Always get a heavy days use out of mine on 1 charge. Would probs get 2-3 days on light use As Revels say's your never going to get day's out of a smart phone of any kind. Just charge it when you go to bed and have the usb cable for an extra bit of juice at work etc.

Mate, i know this. The Desire is decent. The iPhone is decent.
But using bulls**t arguments is not decent.

I've advised plenty of (Poor) people i know to buy a desire. Its a epic phone.

Jesus, it was a joke!!! calm down dear!

Clio 197
Tom. How did you manage to get that out of your iphone? Did you enable and disable BT, WIFI, 3G etc as and when required, or was it left on all that time?

Mugen Type R/SLK55 AMG
iPhone4 = Minimal Multitasking = Fail

iPhone4 = No Flash Support = Fail

iPhone4 = HTML5 support but only implemented on a handful of websites out of millions that support Flash = Fail

HTC Desire/Android 2.2 = Full Multitasking. Full background processing on demand, kernel control/kills apps when low on resources = Win

HTC Desire/Android 2.2 = Full Flash 10.1 Support = Win

HTC Desire/Android 2.2 = Win

Last edited:
  182FF with cup packs

iPhone4 = HTML5 support but only implemented on a handful of websites out of millions that support Flash = Fail

HTC Desire/Android 2.2 = Full Multitasking. Full background processing on demand, kernel control/kills apps when low on resources = Win

Jeez, you're sounding worse than the most rabid apple-fanboi. You almost make me want to ditch Android and buy an iPhone just so I won't be associated with you.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Today the battery was exceptionally bad, basically I was trying to take a video, it crashed and then I pressed the power button by accident, it didn't turn back on... (but I am guessing it still left something very heavy running in the background because in 2 hours time the phone was dead)

So... 6 hours usage today lol. I will have to take my cable with me tomorrow.

You're a homo. I've not used Flash once on my Desire unless you count HQ YouTube which I have to say I'm suprised is not on the iPhone4.

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
Today the battery was exceptionally bad, basically I was trying to take a video, it crashed and then I pressed the power button by accident, it didn't turn back on... (but I am guessing it still left something very heavy running in the background because in 2 hours time the phone was dead)

You're a homo. I've not used Flash once on my Desire unless you count HQ YouTube which I have to say I'm suprised is not on the iPhone4.

Sounds to me like you have a dodgy phone or your doing something strange with it. Things that run in the background should go to sleep until called upon.
Also you will probably use flash everytime you go on the internet with it lol.

Clio 197
Sounds to me like you have a dodgy phone or your doing something strange with it. Things that run in the background should go to sleep until called upon.
Also you will probably use flash everytime you go on the internet with it lol.

Until i looked into it, there were loads of unncessary things running in the background..... updating every hour!

It's better now... however screen too bright on 'auto' mode . A decent saving can be made there by making auto mode adjustable.

It tries very hard to connect to 3g network whenever possible... which means connection is HSDPA most of the time, but drains battery.

Bluetooth radio could do with a rewrite too... seems power hungry imo.

Mugen Type R/SLK55 AMG

:lolup:

Android 2.2 = Full Multitasking. Full background processing on demand, kernel control/kills apps when low on resources = Win

iPhone Fanboy = Take it up the rear from Mr c**k Jobs

work.313503.7.flat,550x550,075,f.laughing-horse.jpg

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
Until i looked into it, there were loads of unncessary things running in the background..... updating every hour!

It's better now... however screen too bright on 'auto' mode . A decent saving can be made there by making auto mode adjustable.

It tries very hard to connect to 3g network whenever possible... which means connection is HSDPA most of the time, but drains battery.

Very true with things like facebook, weather etc, but you can change how often they all update! I was more referring to the multitasking side of things and as such the use of task killers in the hope that you will save power which for the most part are pointless as explained here.

http://geekfor.me/faq/you-shouldnt-be-using-a-task-killer-with-android/

182FF with cup packs

What I have noticed is that battery life is pretty good with a stable mobile connection, but as soon as you get a bit of a dodgy connection it eats the battery trying to find something better. Whenever I go into London and spend any time on the tube my battery goes bye bye really quickly. Both the Nexus and the Desire have battery issues, 2.2 sorts that out a lot though, since I've been on 2.2 I have actually forgotten to charge my phone overnight and it's still been alive the next morning :eek:.

Doesn't actually bother me though, I use a car dock which charges it, I have a desk dock next to my bed which I pop it into every night and I'm always connecrting it to my laptop at workto transfer stuff on and off it. It's like a laptop, it spends 75% of its life plugged in :approve:

182FF with cup packs
Very true with things like facebook, weather etc, but you can change how often they all update! I was more referring to the multitasking side of things and as such the use of task killers in the hope that you will save power which for the most part are pointless as explained here.

http://geekfor.me/faq/you-shouldnt-be-using-a-task-killer-with-android/

Also, if you have a terminal app and root and run "top" (linux version of task manager (sort of)) you will notice that every single background app uses the same %age of memory, you will see 6 or 7 apps all using 35% memory.

It's like windows 7, people say "it's a memory hog I have no free memory" when it's actually down to how the OS handles memory. When it comes down to it, free memory is wasted memory, you might as well cache stuff or pre-load it to make things faster to load.

Also, if you run top you will also notice that the task killer software is probably using more cpu cycles than all the background apps as it has to stay near-realtime to minitor whats using what.

edit: also probably the reason why the iPhone has longer battery life is precisely because it doesn't allow full blown multitasking. If the OS has tight control of exacly what accesses the processor and when then it will limit power consumption. It wouldn't surprise me if the iPhone throttles the CPU on demand as well. Android doesn't do that natively :dapprove:

Clio 197
Also, if you have a terminal app and root and run "top" (linux version of task manager (sort of)) you will notice that every single background app uses the same %age of memory, you will see 6 or 7 apps all using 35% memory.

It's like windows 7, people say "it's a memory hog I have no free memory" when it's actually down to how the OS handles memory. When it comes down to it, free memory is wasted memory, you might as well cache stuff or pre-load it to make things faster to load.

Also, if you run top you will also notice that the task killer software is probably using more cpu cycles than all the background apps as it has to stay near-realtime to minitor whats using what.

edit: also probably the reason why the iPhone has longer battery life is precisely because it doesn't allow full blown multitasking. If the OS has tight control of exacly what accesses the processor and when then it will limit power consumption. It wouldn't surprise me if the iPhone throttles the CPU on demand as well. Android doesn't do that natively :dapprove:

Interesting... i'll try uninstalling the app killer.

It turned out to be a loser when it killed the clock, which killed my bloody alarm!!! I'll check it out.

That said, it's nice to be able to properly close apps??

Clio 197
What I have noticed is that battery life is pretty good with a stable mobile connection, but as soon as you get a bit of a dodgy connection it eats the battery trying to find something better. Whenever I go into London and spend any time on the tube my battery goes bye bye really quickly. Both the Nexus and the Desire have battery issues, 2.2 sorts that out a lot though, since I've been on 2.2 I have actually forgotten to charge my phone overnight and it's still been alive the next morning :eek:.

Doesn't actually bother me though, I use a car dock which charges it, I have a desk dock next to my bed which I pop it into every night and I'm always connecrting it to my laptop at workto transfer stuff on and off it. It's like a laptop, it spends 75% of its life plugged in :approve:

So where's the latest version available from? I'm on 2.1.

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
But is the iphone 4 battery life really any better though? I would imagine I would still have to charge it every night still like I have with every smart phone i've had for the last 6-7 years...
So tempted to root, going to have to wait until after my holls though:dapprove:.

182FF with cup packs
So where's the latest version available from? I'm on 2.1.

As realnumber 1 says, Modaco do have a version for the Desire of 2.2, BUT you lose all of the Sense UI and all the other HTC mods.

It's basically a version of the Nexus One version of 2.2 (which is now offically out) tweaked to run on a Desire (like they did in reverse to get the Desire 2.1 implementation with Sense running on the Nexus)

I have a Nexus, but I prefered the Sense UI, so I was running 2.1 with Sense from a Desire on it, but 2.2 has most of the "nice" features that Sense 2.1 does. The activesync now does calanders, there's a permanent dial/menu/internet shortcut at the bottom of every main screen (like the Sense Rosie launcher), the only thing that annoys me is the default 2.2 widgets are nowhere near as good as the HTC Sense ones (i.e. friend stream & clock/weather). It also has full bluetooth voice dialing support.

Once 2.2 with Sense is out I will probably be running that on my Nexus instead. HTC hopefully should have a new version out in the next couple of months (@hopefully) so I'd wait for that if I was you.

2.2 = Win
2.2 with Sense = probable multi WIN