ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Phone: HTC Desire vs iPhone?

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Ok so I currently have my iPhone 3G. I have a few days left to send it to money4mymobile and they'll still give me £200 for it. It has some scratches on it so I don't believe it would go for a horrendous amount on eBay.

My decision is between keeping this, getting a HTC Desire (which you can get free on a lot of contracts now) or getting the new iPhone when it's released.

I love the Desire's display, but don't like the capacitive touch compared to the iPhone, it's not nearly as slick, but then it's got HSDPA which my 3G hasn't got so worth going to over my current one for the extra resolution and data speed alone.

I am tempted by Android and I did say I'd try it...

Revels Mum & Sister
Having owned both the iPhone 3G and the HTC Desire. The Desire for speed, screen etc wipes the floor with the iPhone IMO. You need to compare the iPhone 4G to the Desire IMO.

The touch screen on the Desire is awesome.

Mugen Type R/SLK55 AMG
The HTC Desire is in a different league. It's not just the touchscreen it's the Google Android O/S that runs on the Desire. It makes the Apple devices look 10 years old. The Desire has a powerful processor and the way you can customise the phone with animated widgets and multiple desktops is awesome. Also there are about 10,000 apps being developed every month and because the O/S is open source much of it is free...

Flash works perfectly on the Desire and you can flick between multiple bookmark widgets, it's just awesome. This will never happen on the iPhone...

Apple are beginning to get slated for their arrogance towards support for other vendors and industry standard technologies (Adobe, Google, Microsoft). Apple phones are stupidly expensive and are locked down to their properitary codecs, tools and software. The HTC Desire will get served with many more O/S updates that means value for money (Google Android 2.2 next), rather than Apple who just release another rip off £600 device every summer.

Just because Apple make you think the iPhone is the best, doesn't mean it is. Read this if you want the best phone in the world.

http://www.techradar.com/news/phone...e-phones-in-the-world-today-645440?artc_pg=16

http://www.techradar.com/reviews/phones/mobile-phones/htc-desire-679515/review

iPhone 4 > Desire > iPhone 3G

Desire isn't half as good as the 4. It's gaining popularity, but it's not good enough yet.

No, you mean it's cheaper.

Some people are happy to pay for the best. Desire is good for people that can't afford an iPhone. ;)

What can a desire do that an iPhone 4 can't do?

I don't want Flash as it's buggy and slow, so anything anything else?

LY 182
You're definitely not paying over the odds for the iPhone with all the features.

The HTC's are being sold cheaper to allow them more of the market share. If they sold at the same kinda price as Apple they'd struggle big time.

Mugen Type R/SLK55 AMG

You don't want Flash when over 90% of content on the web uses it. And why is Flash buggy and slow? (is that what the Apple exec said in a press conference?) The Desires 1Ghz processor handles pages upon pages of it beautifully. Please explain in more detail as I disagree.

Also, are you still forced to buy music from iTunes to assign ring tones on the iPhone4? I cannot assign my own music on my iPhone 3GS as a ring tone but I can on my Desire.

Also are Apple going to continue to not support Microsoft standard API's when coding iTunes for the Windows PC. iTunes is another example of Apple not working with other tech companies to ensure their software is as efficient for the user as possible.

Also can you manage music and media on the iPhone4 using popular media tools such as Windows Media Player 11, Media Centre 7, XBMC Media Centre etc etc. I can do this on my Desire but not my iPhone 3GS.

Also can you access files directly via a Windows or Linux PC on the iPhone4? I can access and manage the full filesystem of my Desire on any Windows or Linux PC but I cannot do this on my iPhone 3GS.

Also can you connect two different devices together and share files over bluetooth with the iPhone4? I can do this on my Desire but not on my iPhone 3GS.

Also can I create applications myself on my iPhone without the authority or intervention of Apple, no. I can do this on my Desire and so can millions of people in the open source world.

Also can I buy seperate batteries on an iPhone4 so when I travel to remote places and the phone drains itself I have a backup. No I can't but I can on my Desire.

The Desire is a better phone because it has much more power under the hood. More customisation, more animation, more configuration and is much more fun to use. It's not better because it's cheaper, it is cheaper than Apple because everything is cheaper than Apple products!

The best technology in the world always uses a combination of different ideas and standards. Apple lock themselves down to their own tools and tech and it will be their undoing.

When I can think of some things I will list them. Flash support is massive fail and anyone that says it isn't is in complete denial.

All Apple products are expensive, that doesn't make them better.

Last edited:

Prong

ClioSport Club Member
Have had an iphone (Which I think is a quality bit of kit) and currently got a desire. Desire > iphone.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
No, you mean it's cheaper.

Some people are happy to pay for the best. Desire is good for people that can't afford an iPhone. ;)

LOL no joke.

I just can't justify £1000 over 2 years for a phone, no way. I've just bought that MacbookPro which I paid £600 more than I was planning on doing, so that's my gadgets for a while.

Ordered the HTC from O2 today, 800mins, unlimited texts and internet (that's the key one for me as I want to tether). So no iPhone tarriffs unless the phone is amazing. If it is then I'll cancel within 14 days and get the iPhone4.

But tbh all I want from a phone is Google maps and the odd bit of email, always been tempted by Android anyway so we'll see what happens.

Battery lasts more than a day as well...

Hopefully!

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member

I think lo ryda sums it up quite well tbh;)

Does it have facetime?

Facetime doesn't look very different to video chat which I've had on most of my phones for years.... Have I ever bothered using it? No because its s**t! Not to mention it only works from iphone 4 to iphone 4 and wifi only lol.

Apple, think of a price then double it:rolleyes:.

Mugen Type R/SLK55 AMG
Have had an iphone (Which I think is a quality bit of kit) and currently got a desire. Desire > iphone.

Thankyou, the Desire kicks the expensive locked down iPhone out of the water.

I'm going to enjoy watching Google/Adobe/HTC/Samsung/Sony and Microsoft destroy Apples market share. There's nothing worse than a piece of technology that forces a user into a closed environment and ends up costing alot more whilst giving back less.

That's why you have to update the iPhone every year... so they can spoon feed a few new features (like HSDPA and a half decent camera that actually has a flash!). The only way you can get these expensive upgrades is with another expensive 12 month contract or £600 handset only bill.

The HTC Desire will benefit from development of the Google Android O/S (version 2.2 looks awesome!) over a period of a few years, making it a brilliant investment. The hardware platform is so powerful it doesn't need a better camera next year or a bigger screen next year or faster processor. The Google software support and open source community will keep it running for years..

Mugen Type R/SLK55 AMG
I think lo ryda sums it up quite well tbh;)

Facetime doesn't look very different to video chat which I've had on most of my phones for years.... Have I ever bothered using it? No because its s**t! Not to mention it only works from iphone 4 to iphone 4 and wifi only lol.

Apple, think of a price then double it:rolleyes:.

Surprise surprise another Apple feature that only works on Apple devices! And you have to fork out for this years £600 upgrade to have the pleasure.

Are people not getting the picture here with Apple? It's a rip off.

If you took your head out for a second, you'd realise it will work on other devices when they develop for it.

If you're going to compare prices, at least make them fair.

A Desire is £399 sim free. iPhone 4 is £499.

iOS4 is also a free upgrade. You don't need a new device.

You don't want Flash when over 90% of content on the web uses it. And why is Flash buggy and slow? (is that what the Apple exec said in a press conference?) The Desires 1Ghz processor handles pages upon pages of it beautifully. Please explain in more detail as I disagree.

Also, are you still forced to buy music from iTunes to assign ring tones on the iPhone4? I cannot assign my own music on my iPhone 3GS as a ring tone but I can on my Desire.

Also are Apple going to continue to not support Microsoft standard API's when coding iTunes for the Windows PC. iTunes is another example of Apple not working with other tech companies to ensure their software is as efficient for the user as possible.

Also can you manage music and media on the iPhone4 using popular media tools such as Windows Media Player 11, Media Centre 7, XBMC Media Centre etc etc. I can do this on my Desire but not my iPhone 3GS.

Also can you access files directly via a Windows or Linux PC on the iPhone4? I can access and manage the full filesystem of my Desire on any Windows or Linux PC but I cannot do this on my iPhone 3GS.

Also can you connect two different devices together and share files over bluetooth with the iPhone4? I can do this on my Desire but not on my iPhone 3GS.

Also can I create applications myself on my iPhone without the authority or intervention of Apple, no. I can do this on my Desire and so can millions of people in the open source world.

Also can I buy seperate batteries on an iPhone4 so when I travel to remote places and the phone drains itself I have a backup. No I can't but I can on my Desire.

The Desire is a better phone because it has much more power under the hood. More customisation, more animation, more configuration and is much more fun to use. It's not better because it's cheaper, it is cheaper than Apple because everything is cheaper than Apple products!

The best technology in the world always uses a combination of different ideas and standards. Apple lock themselves down to their own tools and tech and it will be their undoing.

When I can think of some things I will list them. Flash support is massive fail and anyone that says it isn't is in complete denial.

All Apple products are expensive, that doesn't make them better.

Lol. Okay, lets correct you one step at a time.

90% of content on the web? That a figure you just made up? I can make stats up too. Flash is buggy and slow no matter what you're on. Desktop/laptop or phone. How did the Android launch go? Crashed during the demo? Twice. Good start.

No. You can assign any music as a ringtone.

iTunes works on a Windows machine. No idea what the rest you're babbling about.

Why would you want to use all of those? Just because you can do something, that doesn't mean it's a plus. Those things are useless and surpassed by iTunes.

Yes, you can get to the full file system.

Are you 12? That's when people sent songs via bluetooth. That died years ago. It's for protecting against piracy. Simple.

Yes, you have lots of apps. You also have a lot of apps that crash. That are buggy. That don't work properly.

I don't know anyone that ever uses seperate batteries on a phone. They lose charge sat about, so it's pointless.

What is better? I'm yet to find a reason here for it being better. You've typed loads but not actually said a lot that's usefull or relevant.

Apple don't need anyone to contribute. You've got an open standard that's not even anywhere close to being as polished or as well working as an iPhone. The OS isn't half as good as Apples.

Not using flash keeps the iPhone working better. That's the end. It's as simple as that.

The Android phones are cheap to try and compete.

People are still comparing the 3G/S to the Desire and it's still not winning against tech from a year ago. Compare it to a 4 and it's not even close.

Last edited:

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
But itunes is toss for a start.

Wether or not if flash crashes and is buggy (not that I've experienced this on my PC or my Desire, maybe thats just an Apple thing...) everyone uses it on there websites like it or not...

Not noticed any issues with any of my apps causing it to crash or go buggy.

Err didn't the ipad have a few issues with its wifi at launch also??? so hardly just an Android thing.

Mugen Type R/SLK55 AMG
If you took your head out for a second, you'd realise it will work on other devices when they develop for it.

If you're going to compare prices, at least make them fair.

A Desire is £399 sim free. iPhone 4 is £499.

Lol. Okay, lets correct you one step at a time.

90% of content on the web? That a figure you just made up? I can make stats up too. Flash is buggy and slow no matter what you're on. Desktop/laptop or phone. How did the Android launch go? Crashed during the demo? Twice. Good start.

No. You can assign any music as a ringtone.

iTunes works on a Windows machine. No idea what the rest you're babbling about.

Why would you want to use all of those? Just because you can do something, that doesn't mean it's a plus. Those things are useless and surpassed by iTunes.

Yes, you can get to the full file system.

Are you 12? That's when people sent songs via bluetooth. That died years ago. It's for protecting against piracy. Simple.

Yes, you have lots more apps. You also have a lot of apps that crash. That are buggy. That don't work properly.

I don't know anyone that ever uses seperate batteries on a phone. They lose charge sat about, so it's pointless.

What is better? I'm yet to find a reason here for it being better. You've typed loads but not actually said a lot that's usefull or relevant.

Apple don't need anyone to contribute. You've got an open standard that's not even anywhere close to being as polished or as well working as an iPhone. The OS isn't half as good as Apples.

Not using flash keeps the iPhone working better. That's the end. It's as simple as that.

The Android phones are cheap to try and compete.

People are still comparing the 3G/S to the Desire and it's still not winning against tech from a year ago. Compare it to a 4 and it's not even close.

Keep believing your own opinion, make yourself happy.

Because as you say....

"it's as simple as that"

http://www.techradar.com/news/phone...e-phones-in-the-world-today-645440?artc_pg=16

Well done, you reposted a pointless link.

It's one persons opinion. It beats a 3GS which is a year old. The iPhone 4 is better in many ways than the 3GS.

You keep comparing new tech with old tech. My plasma is better than my CRT. But it's a pointless comparison. Things move on.

It's a shame you've run out of posts because otherwise it might have been interesting to carry on this debate but obviously a bit complex for you and you just resort to links and trying to act clever. Nevermind.

But itunes is toss for a start.

Wether or not if flash crashes and is buggy (not that I've experienced this on my PC or my Desire, maybe thats just an Apple thing...) everyone uses it on there websites like it or not...

Not noticed any issues with any of my apps causing it to crash or go buggy.

Err didn't the ipad have a few issues with its wifi at launch also??? so hardly just an Android thing.

HTML5 will be the new standard. Flash will die for websites and the sooner the better. Over engineered animations etc. Shite. It's not just an Apple thing. Flash is always awkward because they're lazy and people had to use it. Now there are options.

No. Apple struggled with wifi on the iPhone 4 demo because of hundreds of other people using the network. Totally different.

It never ceases to amaze me the hatred of the anti apple crew. No other brand seems to piss people off as much. Don't like it, or don't think it's VFM nor has the functionality you want then don't buy it. Coming on a forum and saying how s**t Apple are or how owners of their products are fanboys/sheep etc because you don't see the value in them or want them makes you look like a r****d.

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
It never ceases to amaze me the hatred of the anti apple crew. No other brand seems to piss people off as much. Don't like it, or don't think it's VFM nor has the functionality you want then don't buy it. Coming on a forum and saying how s**t Apple are or how owners of their products are fanboys/sheep etc because you don't see the value in them or want them makes you look like a r****d.

Not saying Apple are s**t, I have a nano and quite like it appart from that crap that is itunes. Just saying that imo the Desire is a better phone than the iphone 4.

Not saying Apple are s**t, I have a nano and quite like it appart from that crap that is itunes. Just saying that imo the Desire is a better phone than the iphone 4.

That post wasn't pointed at anyone specific just something I've noticed on many forums I look at. Plenty of people who have Apple products, prefer them to the alternative be it their computers, MP3 players or phones. There is ALWAYS one or more haters that will crash into threads slagging them off and calling people who buy their kit idiots. I've just never understood the mentality of it.

Most major sites are now converting to HTML5 because they know that if their sites are viewed on an iPad/iPhone people won't see it.

All YouTube vids (new ones) are available without flash and old ones are being converted. Facebook vids are now viewable without flash.

Flash will still be used in animation but for web design, it's going. 99% of flash is pointless anyway with stupid intros and pointless sites that are 10x better without it.

If the iPhone is so bad, why is it so popular? Yes, the Desire is a good phone, there's no denying that. But it's lacking in certain areas. It's not as polished and people who want to hate Apple see that as a plus. Amazing.

The Desire isn't even close to the iPhone 4. Not even close. Does the Desire have the HD screen? True comparisons will start to come out in a few days, but the Desire won't win.

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
That post wasn't pointed at anyone specific just something I've noticed on many forums I look at. Plenty of people who have Apple products, prefer them to the alternative be it their computers, MP3 players or phones. There is ALWAYS one or more haters that will crash into threads slagging them off and calling people who buy their kit idiots. I've just never understood the mentality of it.

For all the Apple haters there are equally as many Apple fan boys tbh.

As for the screen res the iphone 4 isn't that much higher and is hardly a deal breaker . You only have to look at the low res of the old iphones to see that.

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
It's a lot higher. But that's not the point. You're slating a phone you've never touched.

Just like your worshiping a phone you've never touched lol. Oh and I'm not slating it. I'm sure it will be quite good, just not for me. As some one put it at work. Iphone is for people that want it simple and Adroid is more for the geeks that like to tinker with things more!

Iphone 960 x 640, Desire 800 x 480 not 'a lot higher' in my eyes.

Last edited:
  Mini Cooper S sport
Well I think my HTC Desire's bloody fantastic, best phone I've ever had by a long way. I can't say it's better than an iPhone 4 though because I've never tried one.

Give the choice between the two I'm not sure what I would have gone for, probably the iPhone just to be trendy, and by all accounts it'll be an awesome phone.

Both of them are/will be far ahead of all the competition anyway.

Iphone is for people that want it simple and Adroid is more for the geeks that like to tinker with things more!

Out of the box I'd agree with that to an extent, what motivates you to buy either will be a combination of price and functionality. Features that differ between the two will appeal to different users. That said the geeks love to tinker with the iphone too, jailbreak ;)

BMW 330ci Clubsport
Erm.. Pretty sure most people use it for sending pictures actually. And Apple could easily block sharing of music files. But surely there is an app that can do that? After all "Theres an app for everything! (That Apple want you to do but were too lazy to implement it themselves)"

You cant really say that what with the iPhone 4 not having been released yet

To some it up best; The iPhone is a solid phone. Mostly stable and not slow. But this is because it has set background services that are very simple (So it runs smoothly). As standard, like any phone, its not really customizable. If you want to customize an Android phone you will need to root it like you would need to jailbreak an iPhone. However Apple monitor what you do with your iPhone a lot. They don't provide a lot of freedom to their users, my example being the app store which some would say it kept clean (Which I can understand). But the Android market is much more open with a wider range of apps, however this doesn't mean better quality just quantity

The only way you will know whats best for you is to go and try both the phones. Just wait for the iPhone 4 to come up and I'm sure o2 and Apple will have a good half a dozen on show in store

LY 182
Pointless debate. You'd need to use both for a good few weeks to really give a completely accurate view. But people are always gonna like some stuff more than others. If we were wired the same it would be stupidly boring.

Oh and for the several links to TechRadar.. You'll find in Stuff magazine they still have the 3GS as the No.1 Smartphone ahead of the Desire. That's the 3GS.. Not the 4 with s**t loads more to it.

Personally I'd shoot for the iPhone all day long, but the Desire does look a great phone too.

The Desire is a good phone. But Android be open what not leaves it open to bugs.

I like the fact everything on my iPhone is designed to just work.

Ollie's Silver Cup
Is there a date for the 2.2 on the Desire yet ?!

23rd June has been rumoured on many websites as an over the air update day, but I don't think the original source is particularly reliable! It came from a developer who had been told by someone from htc support apparently, I don't think it's been confirmed by htc, although I've not looked for a while

Would be nice if it's tomorrow though! :)

BMW 330cd
i had an iphone and now got a desire. the desire is a far better phone with better hardware and value for money, and when 2.2 comes out it will give iphone 4 a hard time. iphone is also way over priced!

LY 182
Not over priced at all. Seems over priced to some because the Desire is free. If the Desire was so good there would be a premium with it. But they know they have to sell it a lot cheaper to make sales.

Every Apple product is considered expensive lol.