ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Phase 2 Clio drums, brakes and bearings

Clio 1.2 Dynamique
Hi everyone, I have been looking up information on the above and found this forum. My girfriend's Clio needs the rear bearings replaced as it's beginning to sound like a spaceship. The brakes also need attention so while I'm there I'm going to change the drums and shoes. I've only been maintaining my own cars for a short while so I'm only used to changing pads and would just like to clarify a few things if that's okay:

First I remove the wheel, then I remove a cap after which I'll need a 30mm socket to remove the hub nut. Then ensuring the handbrake is off I can get the drum off. For the brake shoes there is a retaining clip that needs to be removed before I can get the shoes out. I then clean the new drums with break cleaner before putting the bearings in. Will I need to get a garage to press this in? After the bearing is in I just grease it all up and put the new nut on torque 125 lb. Then put the wheel back on.

Is there anything else I should be aware of before the car is in bits and I'm covered in grease and dirt?

Thanks for your help

EDIT: Forgot to add that the car is a 2003 Renault Clio 1.2 Dyamique

Last edited:
  Clio Sport Rep
Hi everyone, I have been looking up information on the above and found this forum. My girfriend's Clio needs the rear bearings replaced as it's beginning to sound like a spaceship. The brakes also need attention so while I'm there I'm going to change the drums and shoes. I've only been maintaining my own cars for a short while so I'm only used to changing pads and would just like to clarify a few things if that's okay:

First I remove the wheel, then I remove a cap after which I'll need a 30mm socket to remove the hub nut. Then ensuring the handbrake is off I can get the drum off. For the brake shoes there is a retaining clip that needs to be removed before I can get the shoes out. I then clean the new drums with break cleaner before putting the bearings in. Will I need to get a garage to press this in? After the bearing is in I just grease it all up and put the new nut on torque 125 lb. Then put the wheel back on.

Is there anything else I should be aware of before the car is in bits and I'm covered in grease and dirt?

Thanks for your help

EDIT: Forgot to add that the car is a 2003 Renault Clio 1.2 Dyamique

You will need garage to press old bearings out and the new bearings in.

You will need garage to press old bearings out and the new bearings in.

This, also why are you changing the drum?

And be warmed the pads go together in a very specific way and are fiddly (fall apart while you try and put them on)

Edit: if you are changing the drums aswell it should already have new bearings in the new drums.....

Clio Sport Rep
This, also why are you changing the drum?

And be warmed the pads go together in a very specific way and are fiddly (fall apart while you try and put them on)

Edit: if you are changing the drums aswell it should already have new bearings in the new drums.....

Oh right fair enough, they should do. Went by the reasoning the bearings were being changed in the existing drums.

Oh right fair enough, they should do. Went by the reasoning the bearings were being changed in the existing drums.

That's what I would have done mate, very rare that drums themselves need replacing afaik

Generally only when the inside of the drum starts getting fubar'd

Op do the pads and bearings, no need to do the drums unless they are cheap or your missus's drums are fooked

Clio Sport Rep
That's what I would have done mate, very rare that drums themselves need replacing afaik

Generally only when the inside of the drum starts getting fubar'd

Op do the pads and bearings, no need to do the drums unless they are cheap or your missus's drums are fooked

Is rare they need replacing. When I came to do mine the drums were on solid.

Clio 1.2 Dynamique
Thanks for the clarification. As I've never done drum brakes before I wasn't sure how long the drums typicallly last. I have to check which shoes I need anyway so I can check that the drums are okay then.

Thanks again

Clio Sport Rep
Thanks for the clarification. As I've never done drum brakes before I wasn't sure how long the drums typicallly last. I have to check which shoes I need anyway so I can check that the drums are okay then.

Thanks again

No worries. Let us know how you get on :)

Clio 1.2 Dynamique
I changed the bearings this morning - took me about 3 hours - but a lot of that was spent driving around my nearest town trying to find a garage that wasn't too busy to press the old bearings out and the new bearings in. I had a look at the brakes while I was there and they seem okay for the time being. I will probably change them in a few weeks though. All in all it cost me £50 for the bearings, £10 to press them out and in and £20 for a torque wrench and a 30mm socket to add to my tool collection. Without your help it would have cost me more for new discs so thanks again for all your help.