ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Ph1 172 Track Car. Next Year I Go Racing - Hopefully!

Race Report Tricolore Trophy Silverstone National 9[SUP]th[/SUP] August 2014

So we arrived late on Friday just in time for the rain, great! Quickly set up the awning on the race van and off loaded the car. Warmed up a bit of pre made bolognaise on the hob, had a few beers and went to bed.

Scrutineering

This seemed more strict here than at Donington. I had addressed the few issues that the scrutineers picked up at Donington so thought this would be no problem and the car would go straight through. Erm no, they picked up a few other things.

I still have a heater in the car so apparently I need the rubber seals under the bonnet (I had removed them for better cooling). Also needed cable ties on the fire extinguisher straps - and a sticker that JJC hadn’t supplied, insulating tape on the battery positive terminal, and a central rain light as one fog light on the right side is not acceptable - even though it was at donington. Nothing major, just a bit annoyed by the inconsistency of the scrutineering.

Qualifying

Having never driven Silverstone before I intended to try and learn the track during this 15min session. Started as expected not really knowing the lines or braking points, but soon picked it up. After a few laps my passenger side mirror glass decided to come loose and point at the floor. Not ideal to have no passenger side mirror in a busy quali session but I managed.

About half way through clarkey in the yellow Renault 5 turbo came past me and I remembered him being pretty quick at donington so thought I would try and hang on to the back of him. To my surprise I pretty much managed to keep up until the end of the session and qualified 6[SUP]th[/SUP] for the tricolore, just behind clarkey and just in front of Pete (toastfrenzy) in the blue clio. So I was the quickest clio on the grid!

Race 1

So I started 6[SUP]th[/SUP] out of 19 cars. This was a really exiting race right from the off when the 306 in front of me stalled on the grid and I had to swerve to avoid him, so lost a place to the blue 106 and white 205 behind me. Then the front 4 started to pull away leaving me in a 5 car battle between - me, Clarkey, Pete, Sonny and the blue 106. Then during the second lap my boot trim panel came loose and flew forward and was bumping about on the passenger side. I just had to try and ignore it and carry on, but it was definitely a bit of a distraction. (See about 2.38 in the video).

We all traded places for a few laps I lost a few places then got them all back, and managed to take the lead of our little group. I felt fairly confident I could hold everyone off having passed them and tried to just concentrate on the job at hand. I did see Pete pushing hard in my mirrors, a little to hard I think as towards the end on about lap 11 he span off behind me. Overall it was a really exiting race. I finished 5[SUP]th[/SUP] overall, 2nd in class and was the fastest Clio. I was well happy!

Race 2

Started 9[SUP]th[/SUP] out of 40 cars. I was expecting this to be an equally exiting race but didn’t really turn out that way for me. By this point I had learned the track a bit better and managed to get ahead early on and slowly pull away from the group of cars I was battling with in race 1, but couldn’t quite catch the leading group who seemed to be pulling away from me at the same rate I was pulling away from the group behind. Obviously the 2 Super GT cars from the nippons were well ahead and pretty much lapped the entire field. So apart from lapping a fair few of the slower nippons it was a quieter race for me but still very enjoyable. Finished 6[SUP]th[/SUP] overall, 2nd in class and again was the fastest Clio.

What an amazing day, I had never driven silverstone before and this was only my second ever race day. So to get the results I did I am very surprised and over the moon. Maybe I have a bit more talent than I thought I did
:D

rh1mch.jpg

1zyv39g.jpg

My First Trophies!

f0romf.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Love it! I guess my PMS rear beam stiffening kit is doing it's job. Where did you get the pic from Sonny?

Yeah I was really happy with the results, cheers mate.

Hoofy

ClioSport Club Member
  Chase Racing Clio
James,

Just had a chance to read through and watch some of the vids. I'm suitably impressed. You're approaching it all in the best way, not letting power corrupt you, sorting the balance of the car first. Also, I like your style of driving....smooth and fast.

The only thing I'd say is get that camera a little further up and a little further forward, we'll be able to see a bit more of what you're doing at the wheel as well as seeing the car in front a little more clearly.

Keep it up!

P.s. you should come over for a race in the Tin Tops at some point, see if you'd prefer the longer single race format. We quite enjoy that format 'cause we're a team of 3.

Cheers guys, appreciate the comments.

Yeah this is all new to me. I had never driven Silverstone before, had to learn it during qualifying. It was only my second race meeting. So to get the results I got I was really pleased :D

Cheers guys, appreciate the comments.

Yeah this is all new to me. I had never driven Silverstone before, had to learn it during qualifying. It was only my second race meeting. So to get the results I got I was really pleased :D

Is it a freak engine? Have you had it on a dyno to get an idea of the power? Or is the suspension just set up extremely well.

Fastest Clio on the day I read? Is that in the same class or over all? Either way that's awesome.

Well done!! Just watched your race1 vid.

Even more gutted with my mistakes as I certainly had the legs out of the corners...

Cheers Pete. Shame you made a few mistakes but hey that's racing I suppose.

Yes you car certainly has some legs! Hope you get the problems sorted easily.

Is it a freak engine? Have you had it on a dyno to get an idea of the power? Or is the suspension just set up extremely well.

Fastest Clio on the day I read? Is that in the same class or over all? Either way that's awesome.

Never had it on a dyno mate. Engine is bog standard bar a 182 exhaust manifold (which I suppose is still standard). And a K&N induction kit that is probably sapping power!

Yes fastest clio overall. Finished second in class A in both races, highest placed clio in both races, and quickest overall clio lap time. No idea how I did it!

Just realised I have never put any pics up of the new race van.

Picked it up a few months ago, it's a heavy duty twin rear wheel Mercedes sprinter. With seating area, small kitchen with gas hob, hot and cold on board water, 12v and 230v electrics, hot air heating, double bed over a rear garage area, and a side race awning

If you were at the Silverstone you will have seen it. If not here is a little pic, sorry it's the only one I've got at the moment.

10403498_10203211498625447_8082493273543439155_n.jpg

It's not the best race van in the world, but it will certainly do to start my future racing career ;)

As Tony says they tow a treat. Mine is the heavy duty one, you barely even notice the trailer is there!

And not to bad on fuel either, although I would want to run it as a daily driver.

So I had noticed a patch of oil in the garage underneath the car. The car was basically parked up after Silverstone and left there.

It was gear oil and looked to be coming from the drivers side. I found this a bit strange as the gearbox had just been refurbed and shouldn't be leaking.

Changed the seal and it still leaked.

Long story short after messing around a fair bit it appears to be the gripper diff that is at fault. There is a sealing ring that goes over the splines and it appears to be leaking down the inside of some of the splines.

2jubs.jpg

29ftvli.jpg

The top ring makes contact with the oil seal on the gearbox and it is locktited on at the factory. Not sure why it has started leaking now but I have the diff out of the car and will be making a trip to Coventry to tomorrow morning for them to put a new sealing ring on it.

Not a good situation to be in a few days before I am due to be racing.

2iqcq60.jpg

2zzjeop.jpg

Cheers mate.

No the O ring is really just a sort of dust shield. It's external to the gearbox so doesn't act as an oil seal at all. The only solution is to remove the old collar and fit a new one. Not a particularly difficult or expensive job, just annoying!

Iceman had this issue I thought all they told him was to put an O ring on it! Hope you get sorted :)

I would have Tony but after hearing about Sonny's problems at Cadwell being pulled off the grid because of a suspected oil leak I thought it best not to risk it.

Anyway I work best under pressure!

I would have left it until after oulton, if it wasnt that bad.
Too much rushing about tbh.

I was hoping to do some testing on Friday yes Russ.

I spoke to them yesterday and they said there are still spaces left, so I haven't booked it yet in case the car isn't ready in time.

I hope I can do a bit of testing, as the full extent of my Oulton experience consists of 10 mins doing my ARDS test. I have never even done a trackday there!

At least you have time to sort it before oulton mate, are you testing on Friday?
russ

So just got back from gripper in Coventry. All I can say is what a helpful company they are.

Apparantly my diff was one of the last of the old design where the oil seal collar was glued onto the shaft. The glue tends 2 break down after a couple of years and so causes a leak.

I have had a complete new shaft fitted, the new shaft has a collar that is pressed on and so will never come off. The new shaft is normally £150+ VAT but as the diff has a lifetime warranty there was no charge for it :D

Also as the diff was to be taken apart they rebuilt it with new clutch plates and reset the preload for me. Essentially I now have a brand new diff and it only cost me a £65 labour charge.

Great customer service and a great product. All I need to do now is get the gearbox put back together, and then refit it to the car all by tomorrow morning! - I'm sure it will be fine!

Oulton Park Short Race Report.

I'll keep this short and sweet. Oulton was my 3rd race meeting this year and I actually came away with the worst overall results I have had so far (particularly after the highs of Silverstone). Yet despite this it was a really enjoyable weekend. I got to see the social side more, and the club spirit coming together to help each other out when things go wrong.

Qulali. This was wet and I didn't really have any suitable tyres for how wet it was, I used AD08's. Still I managed 9th out of 30 something so not to bad.

Race 1. I made a big mistake on the tyres here. The track was drying but I thought I better stick to my AD08's. But I didn't realise how long they would hold us in the assembly area, probably a good 20mins. By the time we got out on track it was basically dry and I should have been on my Dunlops. Still I made the best of it and finished ahead of Tom but just behind Dave.

Race 2. I got an absolutely terrible start. Not sure what happened but just got bogged down and lost about 8 places! Still I had fun making them back. It took me about 2 laps to clear all the slower cars that had come past me at the start. By this time Tom and Dave were about 6-7 seconds up the road. I was catching them every lap and just about managed to get right on there tail when the chequered flag dropped! So not a brilliant result, however I did put in some good lap times faster than some of the people who finished in front of me so I was still happy.

Having a bit of trouble with the videos at the moment, but I will try and upload these asap.

clio cup
Well Done James
Your times were good, and looking at the TSL website, almost everyone improved their times from last year,
Track conditions shouldnt have warranted that but the pace is definately getting faster in the series