ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Ph1 172 Track Car. Next Year I Go Racing - Hopefully!

I think you are thinking of the chap who has just registered on the TARC forum.

Glad I won't be the only newbie racing though.

Are you the guy who just registered to do the race at Donny in 2 weeks? (Clio 182)?

You will only need 45min of video space minimum, i carry spare SD cards anyway if you do fall short

I have done a few trackdays there yes Sonny. Never raced there before though, well I have never raced anywhere before.

A bit nervous about racing but really looking forward to it!

Yes I am (Tom?) happy days, Donny was my first race venue last year, and first time i haver been there, its good fun, def looking forward to going back there. Have you done Donny before?

clio cup
You'd be better off renting the toilet block, as thats where you will be spending most of your time!, hehe

Just got home from Donington, what an awesome days racing. Really enjoyed my first racing experience and did also much better than I expected!

I will try an upload some pics and videos tomorrow, to tired at the moment!

WRX
Great wasn't it? Nice weather for most of the day too. You seemed to be going really well, shame I didn't get to speak to you mate but will catch up next time.

Definitely got the bug now Tony, it was so much fun.

Not sure I'm going to make Snetterton as I need to sort out the gearbox first really.

Hopefully be ready for Silverstone though.

Yeah I know that. I just need to find the time to remove it and put it back. Also considering a different final drive/5th gear.

The issue isn't to bad and I can drive around it just being careful slotting into 3rd and 4th gear.

I can't decide weather to sort it now, or just keep racing until it give's up completely then refurb it.

True, and not just the wasted money but also the disappointment of having to pull out of a race.

Think I better get it sorted first.

Tricolore Trophy Race Report - Donington 8[SUP]th[/SUP] June

Sorry it's a bit late but better late than never. Here is my short race report for Donington, my first ever motor race!

We arrived quite late Saturday evening, parked up and off loaded the car from the trailer, then noticed the trailer had a puncture, great! Luckily that wasn’t the sign of things to come.

The paddock was very busy and we needed to find somewhere to pitch our tent. Eventually we found a patch of grass over by the fuel station. Had a bbq and a few beers and went to bed. Note to self - I must try and earn more money so I can afford a motor home!

Sign on and scrutineering was ok. I forgot my membership card and licence upgrade card - luckily I remembered my racing licence though so I was ok.

The scrutineers picked up a few minor issues which I need to sort before the next race but nothing serious. My race numbers were a bit close together, and tow eye was a bit small.

Qualifying

This was very busy being shared with the nippons as well. 39 cars on track all at once, all trying to get a fast lap was a bit of a trial by fire. I only managed to hook up one fast lap without getting stuck in traffic and qualified 14[SUP]th[/SUP] out of 39. I was well happy with that for my first race. Also noticed a slight problem with the gearbox, 4th gear was crunching slightly so needed to be careful with it in the races.

Race 1

Started 11[SUP]th[/SUP] on the grid, Just ahead of Sonny 12[SUP]th[/SUP] and Tom 13[SUP]th[/SUP] Had an ok start, lost 2 places at the start, then made them back on the first corner, found myself behind Sonny in the light blue clio. Had a really good battle with him for most of the race until he went off at the old Hairpin on about about lap 8 I think. Tom was also not far behind but he had a bit of a coming together with Dinger going down craner curves so that took him out of play. Dinger then came past me 1 lap before the end of the race and I ended up finishing 11[SUP]th[/SUP], which was where I started so, I was happy with that.

Race 1 Video;-

Race 2

This was a very busy race as it was a combined race with the Nippons. I started 14[SUP]th[/SUP] out of 39 cars.
This race was even more fun. I had a bad start losing a few places and it just got worse for the rest of the first lap being past by another 2 or 3 of the Nippon cars at McLean’s. So I think I was about 18[SUP]th[/SUP] or 19[SUP]th[/SUP] at this point. I didn’t let it get to me though and settled down to my race. I had a great few laps and got back past everyone who had overtaken me on the first lap. Had a really good battle with Tom and ended up passing him 1 lap before the end of the race to finish 13[SUP]th[/SUP]. One place better than I started. After the bad first lap I was delighted with that. My fastest lap was a 1.25.6. Two seconds quicker than I managed in qualifying.

Unfortunately I didn’t get any video of race 2.

Last edited by a moderator:

Russ Rallye

ClioSport Club Member
Glad you enjoyed yourself mate, you certainly didn't disgrace yourself either, didn't look like your first race that's for sure. Im
glad tony and I persuaded you to get out there instead of waiting until next year. See you at silverstone/Cadwell/oulton, I won't be at snet either.
Russ

clio cup
Only just seen this James, Great racing for your first outing!,
After my coming together with Tom I'd ruined my tyres trying catch you guys, And you nearly had me back after my mistake the the chicane.

Well done mate, great result

Last edited:
Thought I better update this. Been very busy recently and not had much time for the car, but with Silverstone round the corner I thought I better pull my finger out.

Even though I did really well at my first race at Donington - (much better than I expected to do). The main thing I noticed was a bit of a lack of pace down the straights.

I put this down to a few reason;-

1. Not carrying enough speed out of the corners due to my lack of talent.

2. To much weight. Car still has elec mirrors, windows, central locking, standard door cards, wiring, etc.

3. Long gear ratio's. Car has standard Ph1 gear ratio's.

4. Not enough power. Engine is standard.

So I am setting about addressing points 1-3.

I am still going to leave the engine standard as I know if I start this it will be a slippery slope that my wallet can't take!

So I have removed the elec windows, mirrors and wiring. Also removed the standard door glass.

2mwdlip.jpg

16k2ykg.jpg

Poly carbonate windows to fit.

2qukjyp.jpg

Bonnet removed as will be fitting alloy Ph1 bonnet.

351sca8.jpg

And I am going to be removing the gearbox this weekend to fit a new CW+P and shorter 5th gear

v3ngoy.jpg

clio cup
Looking good James,

There a big comprimise with power and reliability, At the end of the day this is a hobby for most of us which is expensive at the best of times, We all want more power but personally I think pain outweighs the gain,

I'll be keeping my engine standard as the cost would just be too much if it went bang mid season, £300 engines all day long for me,

Exactly my thinking, if the engine goes pop I will just drop another standard one in.

Obviously I would like to win races I wouldn't be doing it otherwise, but I am mainly in it for the fun!

Looking good James,

There a big comprimise with power and reliability, At the end of the day this is a hobby for most of us which is expensive at the best of times, We all want more power but personally I think pain outweighs the gain,

I'll be keeping my engine standard as the cost would just be too much if it went bang mid season, £300 engines all day long for me,

Picked up my gearbox from Martin at Agency yesterday.

Fully refurbed with new bearings, seals, syncro's etc. He also put a racing syncro on 3rd for me. I guess that is just a more heavy duty syncro ring as 3rd tends to get a lot of abuse on track.

Also had the gripper 4.60 CW+P installed along with 37/33 5th gear.

Now just need to get it fitted back on the car!