ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Passat came in on breakdown

53 Clio's & counting
..... last week, cut out and the guy heard some rattling noise

2012-04-13172941.jpg

2012-04-13172935.jpg

2012-04-13172955.jpg

2012-04-13173009.jpg

There was also a hole in the block too, did a good job on that!

53 Clio's & counting
These the engines with the common oil pump failures?

It's not as common as you would believe on VW's Dan, Iv worked for the same VW garage for 8 years, and I have seen 2 that have failed due to the pump.

IMO like a lot of things, you hear about the 1000 that have failed, but not the 300,00 that are still going lol.

I will agree though that the pumps can be an issue on some models, strangely seems to be Audi's more though.

In contrast, the injector recall we are doing we have now done over 300 sets in the past 3 months (At a cost of £120 per injector, plus £50 wiring loom and bolts!)

So what's wrong with it then, lol!
Yeah, done loads of oil pumps on the 1.8's now!

It was a 2.0 TDi, 2009, lease car and as far as we can tell it was low on oil - not that it's admitted lol

LY 182
I was joking with the what's wrong with it lol! I've seen 2 1.8t's (in passats funnily enough) spit its innards out, the other oil pump failures also on 1.8s have all been caught in time and only damaged the turbos. Not seen a diesel do that yet.. Like you say low on oil.. Them lease cars are so unloved !

DCI100
I work for cummins, when they spit a rod out the side, some of the bigger ones 19litre plus will carry on running with a whole in the block.... now thats powerful

53 Clio's & counting
Little update, a few pictures of the block now it's out the car

2012-04-20131713.jpg

2012-04-20131706.jpg

Punched a hole though that bracket too

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
That stuff puts the fear of god into me.

Happens on my car I get an engine for £100.

Happens on a Vag car... ££££. :eek:

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
LOL! Good effort.

The turbo went on my dads 2.0 TDI Scirroco last year as well. f**king unreliable VW's! We should all own Clios.

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
Just a question Russ.Why are these tdi's so expensive.Even still after a good few years.Take my type R fuel pump,A new one is around £200.For a battered 2003 tdci focus its £1000.
Is it the high pressure they work under that makes them so expensive as in special strength parts.I'm just curious and like gally says the difference in prices is massive between petrol and diesel.
Oh and just to make me laugh,could you tell me the price of a new engine for a 3.0tdi toureg or a 4.2 A8 tdi.

Thanks.

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
Its the high pressure (engine side) fuel pumps that are expensive for the TDi's Ian, the low pressure in-tank pumps are the same cost as normal petrol ones.

For my 206 hdi, when the low pressure fuel died, & subseqently pumped swarf throughoput the entire fuel system, the costs were roughly:

LP in-tank pump: £100
HP engine pump: £550
4 x Injectors: £500

When that still didnt fix the misfire, i got rid of it. Heap.

53 Clio's & counting
Just a question Russ.Why are these tdi's so expensive.Even still after a good few years.Take my type R fuel pump,A new one is around £200.For a battered 2003 tdci focus its £1000.
Is it the high pressure they work under that makes them so expensive as in special strength parts.I'm just curious and like gally says the difference in prices is massive between petrol and diesel.
Oh and just to make me laugh,could you tell me the price of a new engine for a 3.0tdi toureg or a 4.2 A8 tdi.

Thanks.

As what Dave says below mate, plus injectors, fuel lines etc have to be reliable under massive amounts of pressure.

Oh, just for s**ts and giggles:

These prices are for new outright engines, you can buy exchange ones which drop circa 15% off the price.

These are complete engines, but with no ancilleries.

2013 year Golf Common rail 2.0 TDi engine £6,595.63p

2013 year Golf 1.6 TDi common rail engine £5,667.83

Then the big boys ;)

2010 Touraeg 5.0 V10 TDi engine - £18,263.08p

2013 Audi R8 5.2 V10 petrol engine - £28.752.71p

And finally, ready for it?

2013 Audi Q7 6.0 V12 Diesel engine £36,110.15p

Its the high pressure (engine side) fuel pumps that are expensive for the TDi's Ian, the low pressure in-tank pumps are the same cost as normal petrol ones.

For my 206 hdi, when the low pressure fuel died, & subseqently pumped swarf throughoput the entire fuel system, the costs were roughly:

LP in-tank pump: £100
HP engine pump: £550
4 x Injectors: £500

When that still didnt fix the misfire, i got rid of it. Heap.

02 Clio 172
Nice trophy Conrod for the mantle peice, would look good next to my melted audi s3 piston and the turbo shaft from my old tdi Audi that snapped. Bloody vag's.

Padso

ClioSport Club Member
  Merc
Out of all the diesel cars ive owned over the past 10 years, some with well over 100k miles the Passat i have now for work has been the most unreliable.

First the injectors went..... fixed under recall. Then the starter melted itself stuck although a new one was only £75.

It has seriously put me off buying anotherVW let alone another diesel car. Bit of a false economy when something goes wrong.