ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Overrun Remap! Bit more than i expected!!

Black Gold 182
I fitted the Overrun remap from the RS Tuner on my car today.... Having seen a few videos on youtube i expected it to be loud but not this loud!!!

I love the sound even if it is a bit 'Hooligan', I'm just wondering if its possible to cause any damage to the car? I.e Exhaust damage or valve damage etc...

Overall the Map is EXCELLENT, Pulls far harder from 2.5k onwards, Cold start issues are completly gone, Idle is so much smoother, 5k kick is a little less violent which im a little disapointed about, i really loved feeling the surge of torque at 5k and it was quite a Hard kick in on my car before the map. But the performance from 2.5k onwards more than makes up for it. Havn't noticed any difference in Fuel economy, Stil averaging around 30-31 MPG over the 60 or so miles ive driven today With Scorpion RS192 and Decat, Green Cotton Panel filter. Worth every penny.

The overrun map is just the performance map with the extras. I had mine on the overrun map for a week before I got sick of it and reverted to just the performance map.

Black Gold 182
Yeah i thought it would be very simliair to the regular 98 RON map on the RS Tuner. Do you know if it can cause any damage? I'm pretty worried about exhuast damage as some of the bangs it makes after 5k are ridiculously loud and i can feel the bang through the car. My exhaust is less than 6 months old, its lovely and shiny still and fitted very well and i'd like it to stay that way!! lol

Yeah i thought it would be very simliair to the regular 98 RON map on the RS Tuner. Do you know if it can cause any damage? I'm pretty worried about exhuast damage as some of the bangs it makes after 5k are ridiculously loud and i can feel the bang through the car. My exhaust is less than 6 months old, its lovely and shiny still and fitted very well and i'd like it to stay that way!! lol
If you're worried or don't like it then just load the performance map. As I say, it's the exact same map just minus the pops and bangs.

Black Gold 182
When i first heard it i was grinning from ear to ear all the way home, but i can imagine that once the novelty wears off i'll go back to the regular 98 RON map.

I live in a quiet village in the middle of nowhere, as you can imagine some wernt too impressed by my car coming down the road sounding like im firing a shotgun out the window.

2002 clio 172
When i first heard it i was grinning from ear to ear all the way home, but i can imagine that once the novelty wears off i'll go back to the regular 98 RON map.

I live in a quiet village in the middle of nowhere, as you can imagine some wernt too impressed by my car coming down the road sounding like im firing a shotgun out the window.

If it sounds anything like the first car in that video on here, I can't see how the novelty would ever wear off! I'd be laughing my tits off everywhere I went!
Might get one of those rstuner things myself.

I have the pops and bangs map on my car at the moment but it's no where near as loud as that video!

It usually does a few little pops but very rarely makes a loud bang unless I let off from 4.5K in 2nd gear.

Thinking of putting the 98RON map back on and fitting a sports cat instead of the decat. - Hopefully that will stop the droning on long journeys!

I have the pops and bangs map on my car at the moment but it's no where near as loud as that video!

It usually does a few little pops but very rarely makes a loud bang unless I let off from 4.5K in 2nd gear.

Thinking of putting the 98RON map back on and fitting a sports cat instead of the decat. - Hopefully that will stop the droning on long journeys!

A sports cat may drone more tbh!

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Damages silencer internals, increases the chance of exhaust valve failure and also appears to cause bore wash which shortens the life if the piston rings as well.

Its mildly amusing in the right circumstance but don't be surprised if it gets you booted off trackdays.

Turbo 182 Alfa 159
14357597815_e575ba3d0c.jpg

Turbo 182 Alfa 159
Damages silencer internals, increases the chance of exhaust valve failure and also appears to cause bore wash which shortens the life if the piston rings as well.

Its mildly amusing in the right circumstance but don't be surprised if it gets you booted off trackdays.

Have a look at my photo from my 182.

Listerine & Poledo
It will damage your position amongst any civilised social circle.
But make you a total lord of the retail estate car park

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Essentially its antilag in terms of the way it is functioning, but without a turbo to gain any use from, so all you get is the noise and the engine damage, only you can decide if the noise is worth it or not.

Iceberg 172
Essentially its antilag in terms of the way it is functioning, but without a turbo to gain any use from, so all you get is the noise and the engine damage, only you can decide if the noise is worth it or not.

Chip, can you explain how it actually achieves the 'pops and bangs' please :)

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Chip, can you explain how it actually achieves the 'pops and bangs' please :)

Sure.

It holds open the throttle body (or ICV on a ph1) to allow more airflow into the engine.
Then to stop it making power from the extra airflow (cause you dont want to make power at zero throttle) it retards the timing massively
The air and fuel in the engine fails to burn properly as a result, so ends up in the exhuast only partially combusted, where it then finishes burning and makes popping and banging noises, especially any that makes it to fresh air still not burned as then it gets more oxygen supply than is present in the exhaust.

Having a burn still going on during the exhaust stroke, and while the gasses are flowing past the exhaust valve can cause the 2 piece standard valves to fail, and I would expect also for it to make the head go soft if used a lot although Ive not seen it specifically in the context of a pops and bangs f4r map but have seen similar on other engines running antilag.

The amounts of fuel and air involved are relatively low, so if its only used occasionally you are likely to get away with it, but if you use it a lot then in my opinion its when it will fail not if.

Iceberg 172
Sure.

It holds open the throttle body (or ICV on a ph1) to allow more airflow into the engine.
Then to stop it making power from the extra airflow (cause you dont want to make power at zero throttle) it retards the timing massively
The air and fuel in the engine fails to burn properly as a result, so ends up in the exhuast only partially combusted, where it then finishes burning and makes popping and banging noises, especially any that makes it to fresh air still not burned as then it gets more oxygen supply than is present in the exhaust.

Having a burn still going on during the exhaust stroke, and while the gasses are flowing past the exhaust valve can cause the 2 piece standard valves to fail, and I would expect also for it to make the head go soft if used a lot although Ive not seen it specifically in the context of a pops and bangs f4r map but have seen similar on other engines running antilag.

The amounts of fuel and air involved are relatively low, so if its only used occasionally you are likely to get away with it, but if you use it a lot then in my opinion its when it will fail not if.

I understand, thanks for the explanation!

Edit: one more question, When you say r****d the timing does it just delay the spark untill after the exhaust stroke?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I understand, thanks for the explanation!

Edit: one more question, When you say r****d the timing does it just delay the spark untill after the exhaust stroke?

Not that long mate.
The spark normally happens during the compression cycle of the engine, well before the piston gets to the top, I dont have an exact figure but I suspect it knocks it to around TDC or just after so it happens just as the piston starts to come down on the power stroke, it will be well before the exhaust stroke.
IME antilag is about a 40 degree swing at most, and that is barely after TDC on one of these.

If you datalog with the RS Tuner you should be able to see the actual values rather than my guesses though as I have never done so.

I have it on mine, its s**t. You look like a c**t. Mine doesnt have a limit on when it does it either it would appear, it burbles/grumbles/farts at any revs. Probably destroyed my stealth system too, Ive had 3 other cars with stealth systems on and this one is by far the loudest.

Probably should get it mapped/ get an RS tuner. Maps been on the car for many many miles so probably caused abit of damage by now lol.

Iceberg 172
Not that long mate.
The spark normally happens during the compression cycle of the engine, well before the piston gets to the top, I dont have an exact figure but I suspect it knocks it to around TDC or just after so it happens just as the piston starts to come down on the power stroke, it will be well before the exhaust stroke.
IME antilag is about a 40 degree swing at most, and that is barely after TDC on one of these.

If you datalog with the RS Tuner you should be able to see the actual values rather than my guesses though as I have never done so.

So it compresses the mixture, and sparks at TDC/start of the down stroke. I'm suprised that doesn't burn the mixture anyway and just create exhaust gases. I suppose that's why timing is so critical.

Thanks again Chip.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
So it compresses the mixture, and sparks at TDC/start of the down stroke. I'm suprised that doesn't burn the mixture anyway and just create exhaust gases. I suppose that's why timing is so critical.

Thanks again Chip.

The key thing is the word you used there "burn" it IS a burn and not an explosion, people often say "suck / squeeze / bang / blow" when describing how it goes (with engines and girls but engines in this context) but the reality is that its NOT a bang, it isnt an explosion of all the fuel and air mix, its a burn and a burn takes time, so by starting it later you end up with the burn not finished when the exhaust stroke starts, so some of it burns before then, but not all, and what does burn before then ends up a lot hotter as its energy hasnt been used to drive the piston down, so you get elevated exhaust gas temps as well.

Its just generally a horrific way to run an engine, if you were trying to damage an engine on overrun, this is what you would do to it.

Iceberg 172
The key thing is the word you used there "burn" it IS a burn and not an explosion, people often say "suck / squeeze / bang / blow" when describing how it goes (with engines and girls but engines in this context) but the reality is that its NOT a bang, it isnt an explosion of all the fuel and air mix, its a burn and a burn takes time, so by starting it later you end up with the burn not finished when the exhaust stroke starts, so some of it burns before then, but not all, and what does burn before then ends up a lot hotter as its energy hasnt been used to drive the piston down, so you get elevated exhaust gas temps as well.

Its just generally a horrific way to run an engine, if you were trying to damage an engine on overrun, this is what you would do to it.

Perfect, the burn doesn't finish resulting in the excess mixture burning inside the exhaust system.

Thinking about it and repeating what you've said, it's a horrible way for an engine to run.

Thanks man!

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Perfect, the burn doesn't finish resulting in the excess mixture burning inside the exhaust system.

Thinking about it and repeating what you've said, it's a horrible way for an engine to run.

Thanks man!

Thats correct mate :)

Pleasure talking to someone on here who is paying attention and wanting to learn TBH!

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Ha, I remember Tom@JMS saying there was zero damage to the car :quiet:

I generally have quite a bit of respect for Tom, but in this case I believe he was very much mistaken. just because their test car suffered nothing they could observe, didnt mean that damage cant occur, and I think he was wrong to make that statement.