ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Oreca 'Race' Exhaust, 'GREAT' Quality!

Lol. Phil, do what you like buddy. Personally I have no time for cleaning an exhaust, a pointless thing to do in my eyes. I can't fathom why people think I'd lie about the age either...

Oh for reference also, JP exhausts fitted the exhaust and cut down the tip also.

CBR1K, F21 125D
You have the ref of sale for 18 months then?
(not saying you're lieing just saying..)

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Phil, what are you on about with the rust "being insane" ?

attachment.php

That would still polish up perfectly its not badly rotten at all IMHO

Thats a stress fracture not rot.

In fact if you look at the bit near the bottom (at the kind of 7-8 oclock position on that picture) you can see where another is forming too.

Having now looked at it on a decent sized screen not a phone, I reckon the metal is too thin where the disk is on the end of the silencer, and a combination of not being hung right and/or just lots of use, have caused it to fatigue and fracture.

So as pre my previous comments, I would say they have done everything they can to make it lightweight rather than strong, and hence the "race" tag and I dont think its a problem if its failed in 20K miles or whatever on a road car, if you want a road exhaust buy a road exhaust, if you want a lightweight race exhaust for racing then buy one.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
That's pretty crazy, my old old Puma had an 8 year old Milltek on it with zero rust and worked perfect... that would be of concern if I made the exhaust even if I wasn't refunding i'd want to inspect and see what has gone wrong!

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
That's pretty crazy, my old old Puma had an 8 year old Milltek on it with zero rust and worked perfect... that would be of concern if I made the exhaust even if I wasn't refunding i'd want to inspect and see what has gone wrong!

Look at the disk on the end that has peeled open in the picture I posted, its VERY thin, im sure they are already aware its not massively strong and not suitable for loads of road miles, thats why they sell it as a "race" product?

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Did they advertise it as occasional use? Tbf it'll rust just as quick sitting outside in the rain than on the road doing some miles.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Did they advertise it as occasional use? Tbf it'll rust just as quick sitting outside in the rain than on the road doing some miles.

Surely even in scotland exhaust silencers dont get rained on when under a car thats parked?

But anyway like I said thats not a rust issue IMHO, in that picture to me it looks like it has fatigued not rotted.

A) It's very rusty compared to mine (the welds, the rust on the pipes) - yes it would metal polish up but mines 3 years old and neither me nor the previous owner cleaned it - so it still looks older than 18months to me

B) Yes - it's a stress fracture and it's not the first to do it. There are pics on here of another gone in the same place and people recommended welding a metal bracket from the box to the pipe - if you have shagged/cheap/badly fitted exhaust mounts then the system tries to flex at that point - which will cause it to crack. Mine's been fitted with solid mounts since day 1 and has absolutely no cracks at all

C) Also fully agree - it's a RACE system, it's light as f**k and the metal is stupidly thin (as I found when I welded another silencer into it). It would last well enough on a race car but it's not designed to be used daily.

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
So basically anything with 'Race' in the title is poorly built and wont last? Oreca 'Race' exhaust, Spax 'Race' suspension, etc. I assume that NWP used to do 'Race' cambelts, TDF built 'Race' cars and Ktec manufacture their 'Race' engine looms then.

What a load of pap, its fallen apart at the seams, quite literally. As a reseller/manufacturer, id want it back to make sure that it didnt happen on any others, even if i didnt give a refund, id still want to analyse the issues to ensure it didnt happen again.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
A) It's very rusty compared to mine (the welds, the rust on the pipes) - yes it would metal polish up but mines 3 years old and neither me nor the previous owner cleaned it - so it still looks older than 18months to me

Even the rust on the welds isnt structural.

B) Yes - it's a stress fracture and it's not the first to do it. There are pics on here of another gone in the same place and people recommended welding a metal bracket from the box to the pipe - if you have shagged/cheap/badly fitted exhaust mounts then the system tries to flex at that point - which will cause it to crack. Mine's been fitted with solid mounts since day 1 and has absolutely no cracks at all

C) Also fully agree - it's a RACE system, it's light as f**k and the metal is stupidly thin (as I found when I welded another silencer into it). It would last well enough on a race car but it's not designed to be used daily.

Yes a strengthening gusset would be a good idea if using on a road car where weight isnt so vital, or people just realising that race parts arent intended for road use and buy a road system instead.

Even the rust on the welds isnt structural.

LOL I never said the rust was the cause - I said the rust made me think it was older than 18months ;)

Yes a strengthening gusset would be a good idea if using on a road car where weight isnt so vital, or people just realising that race parts arent intended for road use and buy a road system instead.

Yep - which is exactly why the K-Tec built exhausts have those gussets on ;)

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Yep - which is exactly why the K-Tec built exhausts have those gussets on ;)

Although in the case of our stealth they were pretty pathetic and only held by a couple of what are essentially just tack welds, I made better ones for ours TBH

It lasted a few years before it fell apart though, which is fair enough IMHO, no point buying an exhaust to last a lifetimes as even if the outside does the innards wont anyway. So perfectly fit for purpose in that respect.

Lionel Richie
s**t happens, i had a similar thing happen on one of ours a few years ago, replaced under warranty no bother! Bit harsh to be bashing the retailer unless they've point blank told you to piss off

As said - my last 2 exhaust systems after 2-3 years all the internals had burnt out and they were deafening anyway. So unless you have an openable silencer and you can replace the internals it's pointless buying a "lifetime" exhaust

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
As said - my last 2 exhaust systems after 2-3 years all the internals had burnt out and they were deafening anyway. So unless you have an openable silencer and you can replace the internals it's pointless buying a "lifetime" exhaust

Yep, they either burn out or just carbon up so badly over time that it stops the wadding doing anything and the straight through silencer just ends up as a heavy bit of pipe that does nothing.

Only way round it is a very good quality stainless repackable system.

Cookson

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk1 Audi TT 3.2 V6
Sale of Goods Act 1979, Section 14:

Implied terms about quality or fitness.E+W+S+N.I.(1)Except as provided by this section and section 15 below and subject to any other enactment, there is no implied [F11term] about the quality or fitness for any particular purpose of goods supplied under a contract of sale.
[F12(2)Where the seller sells goods in the course of a business, there is an implied term that the goods supplied under the contract are of satisfactory quality.
(2A)For the purposes of this Act, goods are of satisfactory quality if they meet the standard that a reasonable person would regard as satisfactory, taking account of any description of the goods, the price (if relevant) and all the other relevant circumstances.
(2B)For the purposes of this Act, the quality of goods includes their state and condition and the following (among others) are in appropriate cases aspects of the quality of goods—
(a)fitness for all the purposes for which goods of the kind in question are commonly supplied,
(b)appearance and finish,
(c)freedom from minor defects,
(d)safety, and
(e)durability.
(2C)The term implied by subsection (2) above does not extend to any matter making the quality of goods unsatisfactory—
(a)which is specifically drawn to the buyer’s attention before the contract is made,
(b)where the buyer examines the goods before the contract is made, which that examination ought to reveal, or
(c)in the case of a contract for sale by sample, which would have been apparent on a reasonable examination of the sample