ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Options Engine tuning

Volvo 460 1.6i
Hello, I have a Volvo 460 1.6I from 1995, It is Multi point injection. Standard it has 83HP, I hope i can get at least 100hp out of this block, But what can i do to get that out of it (or is it not even possible? ) I think it's based on a F3n or F3p Engine from renault. The B16f in finland has 94hp standard, so thats a strange thing, But i heard that the b16f in the netherlands have a ristriction in the intake. But what can it be? i don't so something strange about the intake, I know i can get 89hp with chiptuning, here is an photo of the engine:
PC130120_zps5e91dd29.jpg

Already thanks
Greetings

Clio 172 phase 1
U pissed? It's called clio sport not Volvo sport.... Your question is better based on a Volvo forum? And tuning an 80hp engine is just silly gonna cost a fortune

Volvo 460 1.6i
Well thanks, this is a renault engine, there are no volvo 400 forums. So i thougd maybe i can ask it here. But i think i was wrong. Thank you , and it's fine to know that you want to help people who asks something..

DaveDreads

aka Philomena Cunk aka Barry Shitpeas
ClioSport Club Member
You're not wrong to ask on here, there are a lot of very knowledgeable people on CS
that have modified all kinds of cars, give it a day or so and you'll have lots of advice,
sadly not from me as I know sod all about Volvo's.

You might be better off asking a mod to put this in General automotive and motorsport,
you'll probably get a better response.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
U pissed? It's called clio sport not Volvo sport.... Your question is better based on a Volvo forum? And tuning an 80hp engine is just silly gonna cost a fortune

well wasn't that a nice way to welcome a new member, idiot.

as said above there is quite a lot, or at least used to be, members on here who have tinkered with various Volvo engines of this era fitting them to early mk1 clios and 5 GTT's, although the turbo charged versions.

have you strippled the throttle body off to see if there is any sort of restrictor plate fitted, or possibly it uses a smaller throttle body if your theory you have heard is true

Volvo 460 1.6i
Thanks for the answers, I'm 15 years old so i cant do much on the car without my parants permission, But i will look behind the throttle body for an restrictor plate, I do know now what the ristriction can be :D I know this is exactly the same engine as a B18FP/EP,with 102/106 hp Here's an photo of an B18fp that was found on older 440/460's and 480's :
volvo_440_1521477.jpg
it's the same, But only has 100cc more, even the 1.7 carb engine (B18kp) has 87hp and more than an 1.6 MPI, They said that volvo restricted it to have less hp than the 1.8 spi (B18u)
60ansjp073.jpg
this is a 1.8 singlepoint injection who has 90hp
And this would be a renault F3n Engine:
eng_f3n_04.jpg

Thanks for the info about the restrictor, hopefully i can find more info about increase the hp.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Welcome to the forum, and good to see someone so young getting into cars :)

Personally I would just swap it for a better engine in the first place though, would make more sense than trying to tune that one I suspect?

With regards to what you can get from it, it really depends what you have to spend on it (not much if you are anything like as skint as I was at 15, lol)

botfch

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Welcome to the forum.

I'd say just mess around with it and learn as much as you can, if it's not a car your going to keep I'd probably be tempted to strip it down rebuild the engine on the cheap n have a little fun. ask around any local farms if you can rag it round a field after it's been cut etc.

Volvo 460 1.6i
Thanks for your reaction's, This car is a car i really want to have for later, i dont want it to be a car to cross with, Here in the netherlands there are only 1500 left. And is it a big job to do, a engine swap? I think it will be a new engine loom, Ecu, the engine it self, dashcable's, Electronic instrument panel. With an B18ft i can easly get 170hp with chiptuning, That's a bit different than 83 :D, Or i swap this engine for the 1.7 mpi version with 106hp and with chiptuning it will be arount 115hp that's enough too :D

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
If you can find a 480 turbo and just take everything from it then it's pretty straightforward. They are a nightmare on clios because you need to keep the Renault ecu for so much. Not a problem for you!