ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Old Games Collections.

A4 Avant & A3
I love a bit of retro gaming.
I've got an original Playstation & have time crisis with the light gun in the loft (no crt though!)
Also a rubber key'd Spectrum 48k
An Amiga A500+ somewhere lol (parents loft i think)
And an original gameboy, which is the only one i actually use every now & again, still like a bit of tetris & super mario world, think thats about the only game i've ever completed.
Oh and a PSP is thats retro yet?

I did buy a snes mini mainly for a bit of Street Fighter 2 with the kids

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Kinda retro gaming-related... I still have a running Edge Magazine subscription and decided to tidy-up a bunch of issues that I never got around to storing away. I have every single issue, including special editions and supplements, since it was launched in October 1993. Currently on issue #393 (January 2024) and going strong! :ROFLMAO:

Here are a few from around 2010 onwards.

20240105_221936.jpg

20240105_231044.jpg

E30kev

ClioSport Club Member
  Audi S3 8V
We've got a megadrive and a boxed C64 sat in the attic we should really have a go on...

View attachment 1675050
My first was a hand-me-down C64 original given to me in 1987, the one with the dogshit brown keyboard 🤣

Memorable games:-
Pole position
Daley Thomson’s Decathlon
International Soccer

Had the tape deck with about a billion tapes and a few cartridges.
Could buy games for a couple of pounds from the newsagents.

Brings back some memories.
Pretty much all my mates had the ZX Spectrum and used to rip the pish out of me 🤣

R5gtt, 182, volvo...
Went in the loft and found my stash the other week..

Still have the n64, game cube, playstation 2 and the ugliest thing on earth a ps5

Brother robbed my ps2 but I got it back, he never returned the ps1 or psp.

I gave away my Wii.

Sold were a matel intelivision, master system, super Nintendo, Xbox 360

Stolen was the game cube advance.

Wish I never sold the consoles as emulations on pc are lost on me. I'd rather play on the machines using cracked gear. The game cubes got some good ones, might invest in library of back up games I own.. Obviously.

20240106_080314.jpg

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Kinda retro gaming-related... I still have a running Edge Magazine subscription and decided to tidy-up a bunch of issues that I never got around to storing away. I have every single issue, including special editions and supplements, since it was launched in October 1993. Currently on issue #393 (January 2024) and going strong! :ROFLMAO:

View attachment 1675003
View attachment 1675004
Love old gaming magazines. An older lady I know gave me a few for my son as her son had a collection since he was young and didn't want them anymore. Loved reading through them. I had a subscription to the Dreamcast one for it's length of sub and they are kept in the loft. What a games console.

c4pob

ClioSport Club Member
  A terrible one

View attachment 1675003
View attachment 1675004
Is it wrong that for the Mario front cover, middle of the last pic you posted, I can’t help but think it should’ve been ‘It’s a time’?!

c4pob

ClioSport Club Member
  A terrible one
I still have:

ZX Spectrum
Atari 400 (blown PSU)
Game Boy (original)
Mega Drive
N64
Xbox (original)

Did have a Master System, don't know what happened to that

Unfortunately sold PS1/PS2/PS3/PS4 & PSP

Anyone heard of the Analogue stuff? I've love to get it, pricey though...

The Analogue stuff is quite expensive but provides the modern connections to work on HDMI tvs flawlessly and have setting to make it look like a CRT.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
The Analogue stuff is quite expensive but provides the modern connections to work on HDMI tvs flawlessly and have setting to make it look like a CRT.
Stop it now, getting tempted. Never knew about CRT mode!

Edit: No longer make the snes :(

997.1, Caddy, e208
My brother in law has two of those analogue pockets, wondered what they were when they turned up here!

Matt Cup

ClioSport Club Member
  Leon Cupra
When I was digging the Xmas decks out I stumbled across this tucked away in my loft.
IMG_2164.jpeg
IMG_2165.jpeg

Aside from them which I don’t have the consoles for I’ve still got a couple of 360’s, Wii, PS3 and 4 and first edition xbox one up there too.

c4pob

ClioSport Club Member
  A terrible one
Last edited:

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
I'm eyeing up that boxed dreamcast, and the GBA!

I had an OG gameboy, the yellow version, with loads of games. Went missing one day when I was staying at my Grandmas in the holidays. I was sure it was in their house but it's not been seen since, I really did look for it when we cleared the house out too. I also had that GBA, it also just went missing, no idea where it ended up or all the games I had.

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
I'm eyeing up that boxed dreamcast, and the GBA!

The Dreamcast is not for sale! 🤣 It's a bit of a "special" edition; the first one to be cracked (although I have a non-cracked version, too). I've still got the Dreamcast keyboard, light guns, and numerous other bits for it too. And the steering wheel for F355 Challenge. (y)

It's a shame about your OG Gameboy and the GBA mate. I had a couple of things go missing - which I then had to replace later. Frustrating!

Matt Cup

ClioSport Club Member
  Leon Cupra
Just youtube’d llamatron. f**k me the game looks manic! Is that an aged ancestor to Goat Simulator?

E30kev

ClioSport Club Member
  Audi S3 8V
I didn't paint/spray it pink myself I'll hasten to add. I also have the standard brown-beige unit (although that one is currently broken). The pink one I won in a retro gaming competition where the goal was to get the highest score on Llamatron. Even the Gunship guys called me Damon Hill... 🤣

Well done with the win.
It certainly looks different/unique, even more 80s vibe.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
The Dreamcast is not for sale! 🤣 It's a bit of a "special" edition; the first one to be cracked (although I have a non-cracked version, too). I've still got the Dreamcast keyboard, light guns, and numerous other bits for it too. And the steering wheel for F355 Challenge. (y)

It's a shame about your OG Gameboy and the GBA mate. I had a couple of things go missing - which I then had to replace later. Frustrating!
I did replace the gameboy a few years ago, then I messed it up modifying it with a really unsuitable soldering iron just because I was too impatient to wait for my new one to arrive, it was only a crappy grey one anyway.

Super jealous of the DC setup, my uncle has a cracked DC and a ridiculous amount of games. I keep dropping hints that I'd really like one but it never seems to twig with him. I wouldn't be surprised if he has forgotten he even has it. He always wanted a console and finally got this one around 2008 iirc, so it was out of date then, and I think he only ever played it that once when he showed me it.

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Well done with the win.
It certainly looks different/unique, even more 80s vibe.

Cheers buddy. Yeah, Llamatron was based on the old 1982 Robotron game and takes a lot of "inspiration" from it. I can't ever recall turd and toilet-roll-throwing toilets in the original Robotron though... 🤣

I did replace the gameboy a few years ago, then I messed it up modifying it with a really unsuitable soldering iron just because I was too impatient to wait for my new one to arrive, it was only a crappy grey one anyway.

Super jealous of the DC setup, my uncle has a cracked DC and a ridiculous amount of games. I keep dropping hints that I'd really like one but it never seems to twig with him. I wouldn't be surprised if he has forgotten he even has it. He always wanted a console and finally got this one around 2008 iirc, so it was out of date then, and I think he only ever played it that once when he showed me it.

You need to visit him and go hunting. He won't miss it if he has forgotten about it. :unsure:;)

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
By the way, this is a fantastic bit of kit if you ever seriously get into retro gaming from a games-playing point of view. It's not cheap so you really need to be invested (no pun intended) in your retro gaming but it produces a beautiful image from many old systems on the latest/modern TVs. They are hard to get hold of though.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
You need to visit him and go hunting. He won't miss it if he has forgotten about it. :unsure:;)
I wouldn't even know where to start in their house 🤣

This thread is getting me thinking about the more recent gen and what will be worth more in the future.

Are any PS5/Xbox series (physical) games playable without downloading more content? I've not seen any myself but I've not had many. So even though physical games are now rarer they probably won't be collectible if they don't work.

The 360/XBO/PS2/PS3/PS4/Wii was too popular, too many games sold I reckon, but I may eat those words. Xbox original could be a good little future collectible though.

I reckon the Wii U will be very collectable in the future, the consoles are already getting more expensive but the games are still very cheap, even first party titles.

Switch games too, although a lot are sold in big numbers they really seem to hold value. And the super rare games ones seem to always be a good investment.

R5gtt, 182, volvo...
@dangerous dave love me a bit of intellivision 👍

View attachment 1675242

By today's standard it's garbage, but back then it that or play with rocks.

We had B17 bomber I think I was, had an sound attachment, pole position or race car game, that was basic. Snafu or snake, some football game.

One day one of my dads friends was giving away another one with a box full of game, like 40+. Eventually they went off to another lad we knew who was collecting them..

kids today wouldnt understand what its like to have a hardwired controller on a springy phone cord.....because they aint never seen a phone cord.

The controller looked like "The buttons"

charltjr

ClioSport Club Member
By today's standard it's garbage, but back then it that or play with rocks.

We had B17 bomber I think I was, had an sound attachment, pole position or race car game, that was basic. Snafu or snake, some football game.

One day one of my dads friends was giving away another one with a box full of game, like 40+. Eventually they went off to another lad we knew who was collecting them..

kids today wouldnt understand what its like to have a hardwired controller on a springy phone cord.....because they aint never seen a phone cord.

The controller looked like "The buttons"

The disc controllers were always a bit pap, but the keypad let it do some fairly clever things for a console of the era - multi direction shooting in games like AD&D for example.

It was primitive and there were plenty of cack games, but some are still enjoyable to play today. I’d happily while away some time playing Astrosmash, Advanced Dungeons and Dragons, Lock and Chase or Night Stalker, they’re just good games.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Pretty much all my mates had the ZX Spectrum and used to rip the pish out of me 🤣
I guess it wasn't their fault that the knew no better. ;)

The C64 trounced the shitty Spectrums in every conceivable way. Preying that with each game load from tape, that the flashing colours around the screen border were the correct ones?! Was it blue and yellow for it to be working fine and then green and red when it wasn't?

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member

View attachment 1675003
View attachment 1675004
I'm amazed at times, just how long that certain magazines stay in print. More so in these days of digital content and people tending to prefer reading on multiple devices.

I read an article over the weekend that mentioned Acorn User magazine - and somehow that stayed in print until the very end of 2003. Even with (at the time) ground-breaking hardware such as the Archimedes - those had been released in the late 80s and quite a niche item back then. To have a publication dedicated to the Acorn line of computers still in-print well over a decade later, was surprising.

R5gtt, 182, volvo...
Whenever I read road rage, I think road rash.

Thats a banger of a game...

Beating people on bikes with night sticks and bike chains.. Really good honest family fun game.

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
This thread is getting me thinking about the more recent gen and what will be worth more in the future.

Are any PS5/Xbox series (physical) games playable without downloading more content? I've not seen any myself but I've not had many. So even though physical games are now rarer they probably won't be collectible if they don't work.

The 360/XBO/PS2/PS3/PS4/Wii was too popular, too many games sold I reckon, but I may eat those words. Xbox original could be a good little future collectible though.

It can be a bit of a problem with more recent games and the trend (forced or otherwise) to a more digital/stream/download world. So many games now require an internet connection and a server handshake before you can play them, whether the game is an online experience or not. And, of course, there's the issue of day-one patches and security updates, etc...

That said, a lot of the collectable titles (worth significant money) are those that remain boxed and unopened. More recently, I've been thinking along the lines of titles such as Halo: Master Chief collection with the special box set and figure. Perhaps items like that will be worth more down the line, assuming they are kept in mint condition and unused. Which I think is a bit of a shame personally but I'm not into collecting from an investment point-of-view. I'm probably sitting on a fair few quids worth of hardware and software ranging from the late 1970s to the modern day, but I couldn't give two hoots! 🤣

Some rare titles in good condition can be worth a bit, too. I have a good-condition copy of Radiant Silvergun (Sega Saturn) which only sold about 50k copies back in the day. Whilst not mint, it's still probably worth about £150 in the current market. I need to pick it up actually as it is still at my sister's place with a few other bits!

I guess it wasn't their fault that the knew no better. ;)

The C64 trounced the shitty Spectrums in every conceivable way. Preying that with each game load from tape, that the flashing colours around the screen border were the correct ones?! Was it blue and yellow for it to be working fine and then green and red when it wasn't?

It's amazing what some talented folks can make a 40+-year-old machine do these days - the C64 is still a very popular platform for many of us older folk! 🤪

The above runs on actual original C64 hardware (or an emulator) and would have been inconceivable back in the C64's heyday. It looks so simple and basic compared to what we have now but the technical achievement is staggering.

And that SID chip. The likes of Rob Hubbard et al could really make it sing. :cool: I have a few SID chip playlists that I listen to now and again.

I'm amazed at times, just how long that certain magazines stay in print. More so in these days of digital content and people tending to prefer reading on multiple devices.

I read an article over the weekend that mentioned Acorn User magazine - and somehow that stayed in print until the very end of 2003. Even with (at the time) ground-breaking hardware such as the Archimedes - those had been released in the late 80s and quite a niche item back then. To have a publication dedicated to the Acorn line of computers still in-print well over a decade later, was surprising.

The Acorn Archimedes was something else!

charltjr

ClioSport Club Member
The Acorn Archimedes was something else!

It could do this, in 1987, at a very early stage in it's life. If only it had got proper traction I've no doubt we'd have seen some truly incredible stuff from it. First RISC based home computer IIRC, and if you trace back the lineage of most ARM processors which drive mobile phones you end up with the Archimedes.