ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

not sure what wrong but car isn't very stable

1.5dci
recently i've been thinking the car feels like there is more under steer than usual, not really noticing much, but i'm just not as confident on roundabouts and corners at speed, without it feeling like i'm going to end up changing lanes, which isn't great.

Also bumps and stuff in the road are really noticeable, which is odd as i remember when i first had her i noted how smooth the ride was. Now after getting the tracking done the steering has been really light when means every time i hit even a slight bump in the road I end up all over the place as the steering is pulled.

Does it sounds like shocks or something have gone, i've checked the tread on the tyres, and my rears are just down to the wear lines (some still above), but my fronts are only a month or so old, Just if it's a quick fix it'd be gd to get it done, might be giving my friend who is paralysed a lift at the end of the month so would like the car to be a smooth a ride as possible.

1.5dci
was considering lowering it a bit, but just looked at insurance and it seems it'll add £400 if i lower by less than 40mm :-s (also decals add £400 to my policy, i'm hoping the cs one on the back window is just a window sticker though!) I can also say bye to any thoughts of changing the alloys as they are + £400 too, just those three alone put my insurance to equal the quote i get on a 182. This insurance stuff is pants

1.5dci
ah right, will it be ok to carry on driving like that, or is it a replace asap job.
Also anyone got any ideas on cost? DIY or garage, I don't have any tools but if it's easy and worth it cost wise i could, unless thats gonna void my warranty as i'm still covered by that until July

1.5dci
sorry, would really appreciate a hand anyone can give me,
how can i work out which ones have gone, or do i need to replace all four, also i guess the springs need to be done at the same time... found parts for £220 ish but still don't know how i'd do it, live on a road, and would need to buy & store lifting equipment i guess.
My other option would be to wait until tomorrow when i take the car to get the bonnet catch replaced under warrenty and see how much the dealers will be to change them, and what they think have gone etc, don't really want to be spending much atm though!

i've tried pushing the down for the feel and stuff, but don't know what the clio shocks should be like, so can't really workout whats gone and stuff.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
it will be 1 of 2 things likely if its a 1.5 DCi.

1. its probably the ARB Drop links, look under the front of the car, you will see the ARB (anti Roll Bar) at each side, it bolts onto the bottom suspension arm at each side on the under side, its a black bar. the drop links that bolt it to the bottom arm have a habbit of breaking. if they do you will see either at one side or both sides the ARB wont be connected and will be just hanging down. Lucky for you drop links are about £5 per side! they are a pain in the ass to do though so if you dont have much experiance id stick it into a garage.

2. it will possibly be the dampers but fronts are usually quite good unless they have had a hard knock. rears are prone to failing, look underneath the back of the car at the rear dampers, look for oil down them, this is a sign that they are leaking.

may be worth you joining www.cliodci.net too

1.5dci
ah thanks, will have a look this afternoon and then go from there, depending on how much a hard knock is, when i first had her i was used to driving 4x4 mainly so started taking speed humps a little to fast, got alot better now though.
Would be handy if it's the drop links, can look into garage costs, else maybe i can pass my uncle a few beers and he'll help me do it next time i'm at home and can use the pit (i'm guessing a pit might make it easier?)
Also i've joined the cliodci.net :)

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
na not easier in a pit as you need the wheels off the ground to take the tension off the ARB.

if your unsure take a picture of the underside suspension arms and ill have a look :)

front dampers could be past it too if they have been over speedbumps quickly

1.5dci
Martin i had a look under it, is the drop link the bit that is in this picture looking unattached?
DSCF0602.jpg

I think the other side looks ok:
DSCF0601.jpg

1.5dci
checked tyre pressures last night, at the most they were only 1psi out from normal, so prity gd, also checked tread and seems the rears are about 3mm so might replace them next month, fronts were done in Jan.

1.5dci
ah will take another look tomorrow, dug out the haynes guide for some bed time reading, and i think both those pictures line up with how it should be... Also know where to look for the anti-roll bar now too!

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
yep that ARB is fine.

give the suspension a bounce up and down, when you bounce it down it should come straight up on the rebound and then settle and not keep moving. this isnt the "best" test you can do but it shows obvious issues.

you should also be able to feel any problems over bumps, how does the front compair to the rear over bumps?

1.5dci
umm went down at lunch time but it seems ok, not much travel down, a couple cm's at most, wobbles a bit on rebound but doesn't keep travelling or anything. Will pay attention to be bumps on my way out of the car park this evening and see what it's like.
If all else fails maybe i'll just find a local garage and ask them to fix it. Last time i went to get new tyres on the front the guy said he thought the off side shock could have been leaking, but he wasn't sure, makes me half wonder if i need to find another garage!

1.5dci
just remembering i had some aort of advisary on the mot last time for a ball joint or something with play, maybe i'll dig out the printout when i get home and take a look at that too

1.5dci
ok, so i'll try and get to a garage, but am i right in thinking if i need to replace them, i need to do them in pairs, and do the springs need replacing too, or just shocks? thanks, don't want to seem stupid or anything, just wish i new more about cars

All depends on what they find to be wrong. Shocks should be done in pairs as should springs, but just because you are doing shocks or springs doesnt mean you need the other doing, if that makes sense?

Initially I would just get a diagnosis as to whats wrong, shouldnt be more than £30.

I would ask around friends and family rather than googling for garages. Always best to go with recommendations.

1.5dci
yea just asked in the meets section for ideas, i'm here on placement, so have no family here and virtually no friends :-( out of the 3 or 4, only 1 can drive and he's got a bike, will ask and see if they can ask family though. Some one at work has said they've got the number for a guy who if i buy the parts he'd fit them, but not too sure about that, might be tempted to try if i get desperate

1.5dci
Found my last MOT the advisary was "Offside front suspension arm has slight play in a ball joint" can anyone decrypt this, i should have asked at the time really. Would this be related to the drive stability and or shocks?
seems i've had the car longer than i thought too, i can do the next mot anytime from 1st of June :-s seems only a few months ago i was handing over all my cash!

1.5dci
yea was thinking that could all be related, would also be why nothing looks or feels wrong when i'm bouncing it, now to find out the extortionate price on fixing a front suspension arm is

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
yep sounds about right for your problem, from memory you can buy the ball joints seperate from the bottom arms (dont think you can on the RS cars though?!) i can imagine you would get the 2 for less than £20 (as with anything suspension related its best replacing them in pairs, 3 bolts hold them on, 15 minute job for a garage to do

1.5dci
ebay has them for between £5 and £15 a peice, so will ring around for some quotes and see what i can get for parts and fitting and just fitting wise, then either drop it in or order some and drop it in! hopefully it'll sort it nice and easily.

Will also be handy in getting ready for the next mot, might get complete check done so i know what i'll be facing in a month or so's time

1.5dci
got all the stuff to replace the ball joint this morning, tools and parts, but the hayne's guide says the anti-roll bar needs removing, which is a probs because it's seized up. But does anyone know if the bar needs removing as it's not actually attached, could have another go tomorrow we if's ok to work around it?

Clio 182 Trophy. No. 189
Mine has very similar problems and feels very unstable, almost certainly shocks I'd say!

Mk5 golf gti
shocks all the way
ive had a leaking shock for 3 months and put a new one on yesterday
drives like a dream now just need new trackrods and ends so can stiffer up the front

Da

Less
ARB only needs removing if you're changing the lower arm (which I presume you're not?). For the ball joint it's basically 3 bolts as said.

1.5dci
ah kwl, well went to try again, but need another socket, had 16 and 18 but no 17mm! also found the shock was leaking aswell whilst under there, and the antiroll bar link is holding on for dear life through all the rust, so two weeks time i have nothing on, so will try and replace all of it and have a large tin of copper grease handy, hopefully it wont happen again