ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Noob with a High Idle question

Clio 172 Ph1, MG ZR
Hey people...Driving a 2001 Ph1 172, when im driving and i put my foot on the clutch to say stop at a junction it revs real high to about 3k but if i blip the throttle the revs drop to normal. any ideas? sounds like im a proper bad driver haha

Clio 172 turbo
i have the same problem, i just blocked the pipe coming of the idle control valve with a bolt, problem solved for now!
and yes, i did change, throttle cable, cleaned throttle body, got another body , was still high idling ,changed idle control valve.. like i said for ME, blocking the end of idle control valve worked for me.

Last edited:
  Renault 197
Has anyone on here sorted their idle issue out? My Ph1 is doing the same. New icv & cleaned the Throttle body. Will idle at 2k when hot. If I turn it off & back on it idles fine until I drive it again.

Renault 197
Cheers for the reply, But that's all ok. She still idles high with me holding throttle to min under the bonnet.
I'm convinced it's a sensor of sort, I don't mind throwing money at it, but not at random.

Mec 350 slk manual
Has anyone on here sorted their idle issue out? My Ph1 is doing the same. New icv & cleaned the Throttle body. Will idle at 2k when hot. If I turn it off & back on it idles fine until I drive it again.
New throttle body time if you can get one, I changed mine 3 times with secondhand ones on my ph1 and had good and bad days with them

Renault 197
Hi, Did yours do the same? I take it you put a new one on then?
It's weird as I had a low idle issue before I cleaned the TB & replaced the icv.. I've double checked today for air leaks & gaskets.

Mec 350 slk manual
I put a new icv on and cable it still played up so I picked up 2nd hand ones on here for around £40 each cleaned them and then greased the spring
You maybe better off getting a second hand one off here

dan's cast offs.
Hi, Did yours do the same? I take it you put a new one on then?
It's weird as I had a low idle issue before I cleaned the TB & replaced the icv.. I've double checked today for air leaks & gaskets.

centralise the butterfly and if needs be wind the screw out a touch to drop the tickover.

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
centralise the butterfly and if needs be wind the screw out a touch to drop the tickover.

I have the same a symptoms as the OP. I have changed the TB, throttle position sensor, cleaned the TB, new throttle cable and still no luck. I have also done your suggestions to with no luck.

Renault 197
Got the new throttle body on yesterday, Yes has cured the high idle, the reason being the old TB was very worn. I found a 50000m body off a Laguna.
But now I have a stalling issue!! Grr.
It has a new ICV & I've reset the system.
I've had it on a diagnostics & everything is reading as should.
So a bit of a head scratch at the moment.

Sorry for the extreme thread revival but is there a definitive answer on this thread? I have the exact same symptoms; do i need a new throttle body?
Cheers

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
Mine turned out to be the throttle body gasket had worn away. Ordered a new one from renault and fitted it and it was fine after that.

20138094485_bc77198348_z.jpg

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
I had this issue on an old phase 1 years back. I'm sure it was the iacv but could be wrong

chris blue

ClioSport Area Rep
  172 Ph1 2001
Having this issue too. Trying the ICV today, and any photos ot help out be nice. One already been posted on another thread (Thanks) but not very clear. Location of ICV.