ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

2007 Clio Campus Sport 1.2 16V Airlines

Renault Clio
Hi all,

I have noticed that my Clio every now and then when driving (esp in 3rd gear) my revs will fly up from 2.5/3k up to 4k revs and then hold at the 4k revs (if I keep my foot on the accelerator) or drop back down to the 3k mark if I release the accelerator.

My guess is that there may be an air leak? I'm not too sure myself so any queries wouldn't go a miss! When I have a bit of spare time im going to have a quick once over the air lines which potentially could be an issue. However, im not very mechanically minded and unsure on which air lines to look at.

If anyone knows or atleast has knowledge on where to be looking, that would be sweet. Any advice on other potential causes would be sweet too.

Cheers

Renault Clio
have you tried looking if its throwing up any codes?
Not recently. I bought a shitty OBD reader back a long but nothing showed then, since then its broke I'm pretty sure (when plugged in will just freeze on me) but I have no engine lights on so I'd assume anyway that there'd be no codes thrown up?

1.2 16v Clio Mk2 2dr
I thought that but when i started having some electrical problems i had no warning lights but a code was there , might be worth a try

Renault Clio
I thought that but when i started having some electrical problems i had no warning lights but a code was there , might be worth a try
I will have another look but like I said I think the OBD reader is knackered.

I guess it's worth noting too that I believe I may have an issue with my thermostat. At running temp the temp gauge is 2 bars, all year round. But have also noticed an issue in which when driving the temp gauge will drop to 0 bars and then my idle rpm will increase to between 1-2k revs. If this happens when driving they have a tendency to sit at around 2k revs, eventually the revs will correct themselves (normally if i tap the accelerator a few times this will correct it) and as soon as the revs drop below 1k the temp gauge will jump back up to 2 bars (when at 2 bars idle rev at 0.5-0.8k). Like the issue I mentioned at the start of this thread, this only occurs every now and then but has remained a constant issue with the car. I hope my explanation of it is clear lol as when I've tried searching about this issue nothing really comes up. As you can imagine when the idle rpm is 2k+ the car doesn't drive very well.

But like I've mentioned before too when these issues aren't occuring the car drives as it should

1.2 16v Clio Mk2 2dr
If the reader truly is bust might be worth getting a mechanic to have a look. Could be the temp sensor is failing and causing the ecu to change fueling but im no mechanic. Mine has a similar issue but my temp gauge has some dodgy wiring which when cold will lose the signal so the car changes to the cold map until i restart the ignition and left a code in the ECU.

Renault Clio
If the reader truly is bust might be worth getting a mechanic to have a look. Could be the temp sensor is failing and causing the ecu to change fueling but im no mechanic. Mine has a similar issue but my temp gauge has some dodgy wiring which when cold will lose the signal so the car changes to the cold map until i restart the ignition and left a code in the ECU.
Do you know rough whereabouts of the temp sensor? Might be worth giving that a look at too

1.2 16v Clio Mk2 2dr
Cant remember exactly , should be on passenger side of the engine just follow the radiator piping and should lead you to 2 sensors , one is thermostat and other one is coolant temp

1.2 16v Clio Mk2 2dr
No worries , managed to find a picture on another forum post that you might find useful. The sensor is where you can see the wires hanging out.
1673880085739.png