ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Noise from rear wheels

Clio 182.
I havnt used my car since sunday night, as i have been stuck at home ill. Since its been stood in the snow, the car has developed a strange noise coming from the rear wheels.

It sounds like a knocking noise, and it seems directly related to the speed of the wheel rotation. The faster the wheel spins, the more it knocks.

I thought it might be a cracked disc or possibly the wheel bearing? i just cant understand why it would have happened while i havnt been using the car, unless its been caused by the cold.

Any ideas on how i can check?

Clio 172 cup
jack car up and grab hold of the wheel with both hands in the quarter to three position and try wobbling the wheel. Do the same in the six o clock position. Any sign of movement and the bearing is f#@ked

Clio 172 cup
Not that easy really bearings need pressing out of the rear disc. Easiest thing to do is take the rear disc off and go down to a local garage with your new bearing and get them to press the old one out and put the new one in for you. 10 minute job with a bearing press and give em a fiver. You will need a new wheel nut as well that needs putting back on at the correct torque setting. If your discs look worn also you can buy new rear discs with the bearings already in. In this case it's just a straight swap that you can do yourself.

Clio 182.
Its a very regular noise. As if it thuds/knocks at a particular part of the rotation.

Time to get myself a haynes manual i think.

Clio 182 Trophy. No. 189
Mine only had a rear bearing fitted in May 08 and needs a new one already.

Cheapest place for a rear bearing for a Mrk 2 172 FF?

C

Cupster

^ Whats an FF

;)

I had new bearings fitted and there was still a tiny bit of play.

Clio 182 Trophy. No. 189
It stands for 'Full Fat' I think rather than a Cup.

Mine is making almost a whirring noise and very annoying when doing 60mph +

Black 172
My car is making that noise at low speed now (40mph). I cant tell if its front or back so i am going to replace all of them I think. Discs and new pads all round i think!

PH1 172
My car is making that noise at low speed now (40mph). I cant tell if its front or back so i am going to replace all of them I think. Discs and new pads all round i think!

Jack the car up and spin the wheel, try and wobble it and you will soon know what wheel it is.