ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Nick172Cup’s 2nd 172 ’TrackCup’ Project/Build.

Clio 172
Its coming along Nick, shame it won't be ready this year but getting it right first time is more important than throwing it together and hoping it works.

Its coming along Nick, shame it won't be ready this year but getting it right first time is more important than throwing it together and hoping it works.

Cheers Andy, indeed it is a shame. I could of just financed everything to do it this year but seeing as i'm nearly debt free (for the first time in 6 years or so) its far more sensible to get everything ready/tested/reliable so I can do a proper campaign next year as well being in a far greater financial situation. Seeing all the extra work that James has had to do to his racecar has definitely kept me on this path.

Nick

Another piece of the puzzle has arrived today, cheers Ed. 15mm rear hub spacers, just need to get some camber shims ordered once i've got the geometry checked.

IMG_0711_zps3274eeb6.jpg

Nick

Ooooh these look nice...where from etc.....my rear 15mm spacers are a right royal PITA

TrackCar & F30 330d
Those spacers look nice!

What ET are the wheels your going to be using?

As i have 10mm rear hub spacers, and my Ultraleggers rub the arches a little with 3 deg of negative camber.

good to see you back in the track car action Nick. Some tasty bits acquired there :)

Cheers matey! Indeed a few alright parts, should work well once theyre on the car!

Those spacers look nice!

What ET are the wheels your going to be using?

As i have 10mm rear hub spacers, and my Ultraleggers rub the arches a little with 3 deg of negative camber.

Running et43 OZ F1's Chris, cheap and disposable when they get bent. If it rubs after i've fitted similar camber to yourself then i'll look into 'massaging' the arches. ;)

Looking good Nick.

Are you going to shield the air filter like on your first Cup as that setup worked really well?

Cheers Tim!

Might look into getting one done, i'm not that i'll feel too much of a difference with or without one though. It was mainly the induction kit itself that made the good figures! lol

Looks good Nick and hope to see it in the near future. Can understand why you want to bide your time before going racing. Getting the budget right is so important as much as getting the car right.

So having secured these...

P1000660.jpg

All I need now is a couple of different sets of rear camber shims and the stripdown of the clio can commence! Need to book the car in with the 'mad scientist' (Mike aka budgie) to fit all the parts and once all the bits are done I can actually start using the car properly!

Properly like a kid at Christmas atm, been ages saving up for all these AST's especially! :)

TrackCar & F30 330d
So are those rear AST's brand new? The Lower part where the bolt goes through is just rubber on mine and Fred has said that these rubber parts can fail. Yours looks like a new design!

What springs rates did you go for.

So are those rear AST's brand new? The Lower part where the bolt goes through is just rubber on mine and Fred has said that these rubber parts can fail. Yours looks like a new design!

Not brand new Chris but definitely the new design. Rhys on here had them for a little while, used them on 2 trackdays and had the fronts refurbished as the seals started leaking but hasn't used them since.

Spring rates are... Fronts - AST 180-100-61 / Rear - Eibach 13/99 0500.200.0500. James (BIGASH) said they are roughly 10% softer than his setup and he's not 100% happy with his, so these should be alright! Just need to get out on them and work from there.

Nick

182cup & 172 racecar

I think that was the first ones made. Mine have rubber ones and been in for years with no trouble at all.

Gman

ClioSport Club Member
  Mt10 Zx6r golf tdi
Excellent choice, had i of kept the cup i intended to go down the route you're taking it down, it was a bit to compromised as i was still using it as a daily pretty much.

A few ring trips planned this year and this is where i KNOW i'll miss it most :(

So another little update -

With the DCI still being in its current broken disgusting state and not having any time to even look at it because i've been working away in Cornwall this past month, the Cups been the 'daily' so to speak and doing it finely(ish). Its been pretty versatile, i'll let the pictures prove this... :)

IMG_0758_zps3e08484f.jpg

IMG_0756_zps220819db.jpg

A trackcar/daily/bike transporter, does look epic with the bikes on top as well! Love the looks people give seeing a low/caged/wraparound bucket seated clio with two poser bikes on it! lol

Also more parts have arrived/on route to mine...

A set of one degree camber shims
A set of half a degree camber shims
Two sets of locakble aerocatches utilising the same key
2.25L MSA Approved plumbed in fire extinguisher system.
And a new drivers seat. ;)

IMG_0753_zpsbb4321f0.jpg

Just need to book the car in with the mad scientist / Failsport Head Tech (Mike aka Budgie) to get the car broken down and all the new bits onto it. List's getting pretty comprehensive now.

GRP bonnet and bootlid, plus paint/vinyl wrapping (Still need rear polycarb)
Quaife Diff
AST Sportline 2's
Fire extinguisher system
25mm front spacers
15mm rear hub spacers with camber shims.
Remove both front and rear bumpers to be lightened.
Refit front part of cage.
Look into setting up the cut off switch properly.

Just need a set of polycarbs for the side, some fresh sticky rubber, loose some excess bracketry from inside the car and its pretty much done as a project. Just then spend copious amounts of money driving it!

Looks quality with the bikes on top! What and where do you ride mate?

Cheers mate! :) Bro rides a 2012 Lapierre Zesty with a couple of grands worth of extras, and I've got an average Litespeed Niota with a mixture of parts to build it up with. Hope 4pot front brake/RockShox Reba front sus etc etc. Rode down at Swinley Forrest today, but ride at Devils Punchbowl/Peaselake and just normal casual river rides here and there. Nothing serious, just bling bikes for inept idiots! lol

Bit of a list!! looking good & getting there...not so sure re the bikes.....

Indeed, shall be a massive transformation in drive once its all done i'm hopeing! Lol at the Bikes, if I didnt ride, I'd never fit in the car!

Awesome stuff, I'm on a 2011 Giant Anthem X2. Maybe see you up at Swinley sometime!

Nice looking bike! Yeah send me a message when you heading down there next, will see if my brother and I can pop down! :) Or organise a casual CS MTB ride!

You selling up bud? Was going well at Llandow!

Yeah, with not being able to go racing and fed up of putting miles on this currently. Selling up all cars to have one suitable all rounder, liklihood is I doubt i'll be doing many more trackdays and if I do i'd want something real fun rather than as serious as this Cup has the potential for.

Will write up a list of parts later that I have currently so interested parties can pick and choose what spec they wish and vary in price.

Cheers
Nick

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator
Sounds sensible mate. If you did want to do a trackday in a clio, you know you're welcome to drive mine when it's healthy again anyway.

If you end up breaking it, PM about the engine old boy. GLWTS.

What all rounders you looking at?