ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Next Generation Consoles

dk

911 GTS Cab
its certainly going to be interesting come friday, and then the following friday

as mentioned, theres very little sony can do pre UK launch to change anything now.

Xbox being launched on the same day for the US and UK will mean a huge influx of possible problems they knew nothing about, i saw that MS tweeted congratulations to sony on their launch, bet they are praying that theirs goes smoother though!

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
tbh i'm shocked that both consoles are not running to a level where the minimum resolution is 1080p. I was expecting the 'next-gen' consoles to at least be delivering this generations PC performance. I'm very tempted to move back to PC based gaming now because of this...

Nippy white cup
Tbh if this is the level of the next gen consoles then I think I'll manage lol

http://youtu.be/g0ycN0re_5A

The jump from CG to next gen is obviously not as much as last time since it was sd to hd. PS3 vs xb360 was supposed to be ps3 with its much more powerful set up yet the difference never really surfaced in 7+ years. Assassins creed 4 even has a patch to lift it from 900 to 1080p for ps4 already so in a few years I'm sure the 'huge' difference between the two machines will close.

s**t that's not fanboi enough...I meant psflaw ;)

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
Yeah, agree mate. So excited for BF4 and Fifa. Like a big kid.

As you say, when the PS3 was released it was the 360 killer. Just didn't seem to happen and one of the reasons was games are released on both platforms so it's extremely difficult to make one much better than the other.

Then for every Uncharted or Killzone, there's a Gears of War or Forza, where developers can maximise the potential of the system.

Polo + Micra
I think that MS would of put a lot of work into reliability after the f**k up with the first gen 360.

also with the packaging the PS4 box should be enough protection.

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
Shuhei Yoshida ‏@yosp
PS4 has sold through over 1 million units within 24 hours of the launch in North America!!!

And this is the defection rates:

PS4 %0,175 - %0.4
PS3 %3
Xbox %16

Shuhei Yoshida ‏@yosp
PS4 has sold through over 1 million units within 24 hours of the launch in North America!!!

And this is the defection rates:

PS4 %0,175 - %0.4
PS3 %3
Xbox %16

Interesting. One million sales, and ~500 (so far) negatives on Amazon. People are a lot more vocal these days, so any launch looks xInfinity worse.

You say Xbox 16%, are you referring to the original?

Where we're those figures from?

dk

911 GTS Cab
How can you have accurate figures after a day of it being launched, you won't have figures back from people who returned them to the stores as they didn't work, by what's been reported, I would say the number has to be higher, and I bet sony are only counting 'confirmed' as faulty units, people who call up for tech support, get told to do a few things and go away, but still have issues, I bet those aren't counted.

we'll see in a week whether that figure will rise, and I bet it will. And those other numbers are for the products lifetime, so counts all the bricked consoles because of that dodgy upgrade for the xbox, and the ps4 laser issue was it? Anyway, those figures aren't day one figures I don't believe, so not a comparison at all.

0.4% is roughly 5,000 consoles in the US. That's a lot if all air their concerns online. Imagine if it was 10%, with 100,000 people taking to the internet, we'd know about it.

Polo + Micra
but how many have not been tried yet? christmas presents, ebay sellers e.t.c

i'm not saying it's going to be loads more but will bump up the numbers

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
Lol at all the slating because Sony have some unit failures.

Can't wait until the xbox launch. Bet it has just as many faults but the majority on here will be silent.

Any new tech will home some faults on launch. Anyone who thinks otherwise is deluded.

tbh i'm shocked that both consoles are not running to a level where the minimum resolution is 1080p. I was expecting the 'next-gen' consoles to at least be delivering this generations PC performance. I'm very tempted to move back to PC based gaming now because of this...

I'm personally not all that surprised. These machines were never going to live up to the hype, particularly amongst PC gamers. They're plenty powerful enough though surely? Especially for the money. In any case, what really matters are the actual games. Although PMSL at that piece of s**t Call of Duty Ghosts.

It does make me smile though, especially when some people were blathering on about 4k games. Pull the other one! A couple of Titans would struggle with 60fps in 4k resolutions in any taxing "next gen" game, and that involves dropping about £1600 on graphics alone. The notion that a "next gen" £400 console was ever gonna push 4k games is preposterous!

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
I'm personally not all that surprised. These machines were never going to live up to the hype, particularly amongst PC gamers. They're plenty powerful enough though surely? Especially for the money. In any case, what really matters are the actual games. Although PMSL at that piece of s**t Call of Duty Ghosts.

It does make me smile though, especially when some people were blathering on about 4k games. Pull the other one! A couple of Titans would struggle with 60fps in 4k resolutions in any taxing "next gen" game, and that involves dropping about £1600 on graphics alone. The notion that a "next gen" £400 console was ever gonna push 4k games is preposterous!

Indeed, yet both systems state they are 4K ready in their spec.

It's not some though, it's thousands, and for doa that's a lot

There are hundreds of reports not thousands, the HDMI issue is an easy fix and some sound like they have been damaged during delivery. As posted numerous times Sony are expecting a 0.4% doa, so that would be around 4000, that is not a lot, its not even some, it's a minuscule amount.

Goliath I
Had a bash at Fifa on the PS4 today. It looked, played and handled just like the current gen in all honesty.

Hopefully other games will do it justice

dk

911 GTS Cab
There are hundreds of reports not thousands, the HDMI issue is an easy fix and some sound like they have been damaged during delivery. As posted numerous times Sony are expecting a 0.4% doa, so that would be around 4000, that is not a lot, its not even some, it's a minuscule amount.
No no no.

hdmi port failure is not an easy fix if it's not a software error, but if it was software then it would be on all boxes, nor is damaged stock. If the hdmi was an easy fix then sony wouldn't be struggling to fix it. Also, the main report is that consoles are dead, doing nothing, or shut themselves down because they think they are too hot.

And thousands is not a minuscule amount at all, doa should be hardly any at all, did you ever hear of thousands of customers receiving dead iPads or iPhones?. And 4000 is a made up number, nobody knows the number yet, and as per usual the manufacturer will try its best to sweep the real number under the carpet like ms did.

Early adopters should expect reasonable chances of failure. Common sense.

You would think that many hardware problems are due to manufacturing issues rather than design. Commonplace with all new products, from cars to washing machines. Software updates are a different matter, as many of these consoles will have been in the supply chain (in containers) for weeks.

330i, Alfa 147 & SP1
The hdmi reported faults are an easy fix chap, the shielding isn't flat and uniform so hdmi isn't 110% home. People are flattening the shield and it sorts the issue

No no no.

hdmi port failure is not an easy fix if it's not a software error, but if it was software then it would be on all boxes, nor is damaged stock. If the hdmi was an easy fix then sony wouldn't be struggling to fix it. Also, the main report is that consoles are dead, doing nothing, or shut themselves down because they think they are too hot.

And thousands is not a minuscule amount at all, doa should be hardly any at all, did you ever hear of thousands of customers receiving dead iPads or iPhones?. And 4000 is a made up number, nobody knows the number yet, and as per usual the manufacturer will try its best to sweep the real number under the carpet like ms did.

The HDMI problem is just a bit of metal blocking the port that can be pushed out the way, most other HDMI issues are down to out of date filmware on old tvs. The only real issue is the blue light problem which there have been hundreds of reports about and some can be fixed following the online guide. So far over 1 million shipped about a .4% failure rate and a successful launch with just minor expected problems.

dk

911 GTS Cab
The HDMI problem is just a bit of metal blocking the port that can be pushed out the way, most other HDMI issues are down to out of date filmware on old tvs. The only real issue is the blue light problem which there have been hundreds of reports about and some can be fixed following the online guide. So far over 1 million shipped about a .4% failure rate and a successful launch with just minor expected problems.
Why do people keep quoting this 0.4% failure rate, that isn't known yet! it's a guess or a prediction! only after about a week will a figure be known.

how can a dead console with flashing blue lights only be a minor problem, and the majority of the people with issues have this problem.

The the support from sony is take it back for a refund, but we haven't got any more to give you, or wait up to 5 weeks to send it in for repair (with will likely only take a week or so and result in them sending out a replacement console).

having the reported amount of doa (not talking about hdmi or software issues) products is not expected or a normal launch, you expect issues yes, but not a load of dead consoles.

Why do people keep quoting this 0.4% failure rate, that isn't known yet! it's a guess or a prediction! only after about a week will a figure be known.

how can a dead console with flashing blue lights only be a minor problem, and the majority of the people with issues have this problem.

The the support from sony is take it back for a refund, but we haven't got any more to give you, or wait up to 5 weeks to send it in for repair (with will likely only take a week or so and result in them sending out a replacement console).

having the reported amount of doa (not talking about hdmi or software issues) products is not expected or a normal launch, you expect issues yes, but not a load of dead consoles.

Sony has confirmed the failure rate is within the .4% expected, it is not made up, you are guessing and making things up.

A few hundred people reporting the blue light problem out of over a million is a minor problem.

Yes support is poor.

I have no idea where you are getting all these reports of dead consoles that don't even turn on.

dk

911 GTS Cab
The sony forums? The thread was posted in here I believe, and that number was out days ago, yet every day there are more reports of dead consoles so it should really be on the rise, the expected failure rate quoted is not the actual failure rate........

dk

911 GTS Cab
Here you go, that figure of 0.4% was quoted the day before release........

Sony threw out this number that only .4% of the consoles shipped to retailers, as far as they know, have been affected by whatever is happening here. That 99.6% success rate for a brand new console is actually really good. The statement, however, came from November 14th, the day before the PS4's launch.

The sony forums? The thread was posted in here I believe, and that number was out days ago, yet every day there are more reports of dead consoles so it should really be on the rise, the expected failure rate quoted is not the actual failure rate........

They've sold over a million, there are 700 posts in that thread probably by 100-200 people with a faulty console, get a grip. Only Sony knows the figures, they have stated its within what they expected. Until we get any more info those are the facts, you are just making massive assumptions and quite frankly talking absolute rubbish.

dk

911 GTS Cab
Of course Sony are going to say it's within their expectations as they don't want the real figure out, most people cant even get hold of sony to report theirs faulty!

id say a figure of 1-4% will come out as being more accurate. We'll see, nobody knows yet, everyone is guessing, and sony aren't giving an accurate number IMO.

Mini JCW
One of the other reasons Playstation p*ssed me off, everytime I turned the dam thing on it needed an update, as did any games I played.

This is I think I was downloading updates more than I was playing hence why I'll always stick with xbox

http://news.cnet.com/8301-10797_3-57611467-235/xbox-one-practically-unusable-without-day-one-update/

Speaking to Engadget in an interview published on Friday, Microsoft's senior director of product management, Albert Penello, said that owners of the Xbox One "will be able to do very little without taking the day one update." When pressed on what users could do with the Xbox One before the update is added to the console, Penello said "nothing.

;)

dk

911 GTS Cab
Both consoles have a day one update though that has to be applied to the console to make anything work, this is because the consoles have been manufactured and shipped weeks to months ago, so that was pretty obvious that the code would have changed.

the thing people hated about the ps3 updates were the size of them, as they used to be an entire update file and not just a few mob of changes, I think this did change though and it doesn't do that anymore.

tbh, whenever I turn on either console or go to play a game on them I have an update. And frequent updates are good, why wait until you have a load of updates to improve things, put them out as often as possible IMO.

Nothing at the mo :(
Like others have said these consoles was made and boxed up months ago.

With all the changes that have been made lately with copyright stuff etc etc there was gonna be a big update on both. No idea why people are surprised with this.

N0ddie

ClioSport Club Member
  Tesla Model 3
Both consoles have a day one update though that has to be applied to the console to make anything work, this is because the consoles have been manufactured and shipped weeks to months ago, so that was pretty obvious that the code would have changed.

the thing people hated about the ps3 updates were the size of them, as they used to be an entire update file and not just a few mob of changes, I think this did change though and it doesn't do that anymore.

tbh, whenever I turn on either console or go to play a game on them I have an update. And frequent updates are good, why wait until you have a load of updates to improve things, put them out as often as possible IMO.

Ps3 eventually got a feature that allowed you to set a time when to check for firmware and game updates and download them. I have ours set to do this at 2am in the morning. Means it's always up to date when I turn it on.

Mini JCW
Like others have said these consoles was made and boxed up months ago.

With all the changes that have been made lately with copyright stuff etc etc there was gonna be a big update on both. No idea why people are surprised with this.

I'm not surprised in the slightest.