ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Next Generation Consoles

Polo + Micra
how long is a 500Mb update going to take?

if they got some decent servers it's shouldn't really take much more than 15mins tops even with a medium internet connection

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
I will dismount my PC Throne and applaud the XBone and PS4 if they can support 4K at decent rates! :)

D.
Not for gaming, mate - that was never the intention. 4K was purely for video / movies. :) Microsoft had wanted to support 4K video from the off and I believe Sony have chosen to do likewise (which would kind of make sense as they are one of the forces pushing for early adoption of 4k).

Munson made the point perfectly earlier regarding expectations. Folks are expecting far too much from these boxes. For what they are and their price, they are incredibly good. Microsoft and Sony don't make money on the hardware; it's all about the software sales pretty much.

N0ddie

ClioSport Club Member
  Tesla Model 3

if they got some decent servers it's shouldn't really take much more than 15mins tops even with a medium internet connection

With the whole world downloading at the same time I'll say there'll be issues lol.

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member

In theory it shouldn't take long... they have some 300,000 servers available if reports are to be believed. Part of their commitment to Xbox Live and their cloud vision (as well as supporting their wider-reaching Azure vision). Mind you, 500MB on my connection will take ages... less than 1MB here. :(

dk

911 GTS Cab
I was having ms and hp training last week and we were being told about the servers used for azure and xbox live and where their datacenters were, interesting stuff.

but 300,000 servers is designed to run live, for online gaming, which doesn't actually need that big a connection from each user, when you have people trying to download from their 1 billion mob fibre broadband connection I still think there will be issues, the internet pipe won't be infinity (and I'm not talking about bt infinity)........

dk

911 GTS Cab
It's a shame they haven't offered a download like sony did so that you could pre download it and just put it on a USB key.

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
I was having ms and hp training last week and we were being told about the servers used for azure and xbox live and where their datacenters were, interesting stuff.

but 300,000 servers is designed to run live, for online gaming, which doesn't actually need that big a connection from each user, when you have people trying to download from their 1 billion mob fibre broadband connection I still think there will be issues, the internet pipe won't be infinity (and I'm not talking about bt infinity)........
Ah, right - my (incorrect) belief was that they were employing the datacentres to get the initial update out and into the wild. :) Which makes my dash to get the download going early all the more important! :D

dk

911 GTS Cab
Ah, right - my (incorrect) belief was that they were employing the datacentres to get the initial update out and into the wild. :) Which makes my dash to get the download going early all the more important! :D
I am not certain, but I personally believe they are using the new hp moonshot server chassis's to do both azure, and Xbox live (in separate dc's), which enables them to get 1800 servers per rack, which is what is needed when talking about the sort of numbers ms are, using conventional rack or blade servers would just cost too much, not only in hardware but in dc space, power and cooling.

People like Facebook and Google etc have just made their own servers.

Please note, this Is my personal opinion and I haven't been told or been hinted at what they are using.

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
I am not certain, but I personally believe they are using the new hp moonshot server chassis's to do both azure, and Xbox live (in separate dc's), which enables them to get 1800 servers per rack, which is what is needed when talking about the sort of numbers ms are, using conventional rack or blade servers would just cost too much, not only in hardware but in dc space, power and cooling.

People like Facebook and Google etc have just made their own servers.

Please note, this Is my personal opinion and I haven't been told or been hinted at what they are using.
I won't lie; that area is something I know very little about. But I have heard rumours that tally with what you've mentioned - i.e. HP Moonshot, hyperscale', 6-8 times performance benefit with 4-5 times more efficiency (although I have no idea in relation to what... possibly compared to the more traditional DC blade server setup you mention?!?!?). I do know that they've invested a shed load of money in the server infrastructure though, and the API's are out and evolving in terms of allowing software developers to harness a lot of remote computational grunt. How this will be utilised will be interesting given the inherent latency and bandwidth issues they'll face.

Like dk, this is also my personal opinion only. :) /disclaimer

Revels Mum & Sister
Indeed, yet both systems state they are 4K ready in their spec.

4K Video though I believe? Rather than gaming?

Looking forward to the XBOX ONE launch this friday. Just booked friday off as I am a loser. I have one coming from Amazon and one from the old dear instore at Asda with her 10% discount which is a hefty chunk of RRP.

I too have Friday off this week. I did have next Friday off too for the PS4, but it's one or the other.

Nippy white cup
I'm on half day this friday and Nic and the kids are going to a school xmas with my sis in law....won't be home till 8 I reckon :)

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
It'll be gutting if folk get their consoles and they are bricked. I may even smash the f*cking house down if that were the case.

EDIT: Upon collecting my thoughts, I definitely would smash the house down.

Revels Mum & Sister
I have a habit of rage smashing controllers. Being that I have moved into a home with flagstone floors and the controllers are £40+ a pop I best get this rage under control pretty quickly.

Nippy white cup
Lol There is a bean bag in our living room and you can really smash the controller down on it with no damage but it does release a little of the rage lol

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
I need to get one of these bean bags, as I've had to buy 3 controllers in the last 7 months.

Revels Mum & Sister
I went through about the same as well Scutch

We have a massive bean bag I must bring it into the living room or bounce it on the couch. Although quite satisying when something smashes to pieces.

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
I went through about the same as well Scutch

We have a massive bean bag I must bring it into the living room or bounce it on the couch. Although quite satisying when something smashes to pieces.

I've actually chewed the analogue stick off in a rage after simply being shot numerous times by the same sniper on Battlefield. That took some gnawing. In hindsight I'm surprised I didn't just gather my thoughts and stop as it was hurting my jaw just trying to bite it off. The controller then got threw at the floor.

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
544606_10152271058317195_1573229234_n.jpg

734455_10152271058252195_1252110544_n.jpg

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
lol, I felt bad this weekend trading in my controllers with the consoles knowing full well I'd be buying a new one for my PC (now I feel ok).

AK

M240i
I've actually chewed the analogue stick off in a rage after simply being shot numerous times by the same sniper on Battlefield. That took some gnawing. In hindsight I'm surprised I didn't just gather my thoughts and stop as it was hurting my jaw just trying to bite it off. The controller then got threw at the floor.

none :(

Flol.

Nippy white cup
Interesting to see the clock speeds have lowered as obviously the GPU makes up for it which goes to show that just quoting figures doesn't tell the whole tale

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Interesting to see the clock speeds have lowered as obviously the GPU makes up for it which goes to show that just quoting figures doesn't tell the whole tale
Not necessarily as the GPU is still limited in what it can do, even though it is becoming increasingly more general-purpose. :) The improved and wider-reaching functionality afforded by these new GPU's is not really the reason for the lower CPU clock speeds. There are many reasons why the clocks are lower, for example:

- Power / heat issues and management thereof. As the clock rate increases we don't see a linear scaling of power and heat output, hence cooling and power consumption can soon (relatively speaking) go through the roof. Not so good on a console where longevity, efficiency and low-cost are key.

- Modern CPU's are capable of doing more work per 'tick' than previous generations. What might have taken 10-20 clock cycles previously can now be done in 4-6 cycles. As a result, a seemingly slower chip may significantly outperform what's seen as a faster chip.

- We are now in a multi-core/-processor/-threaded world and it is far more efficient to distribute work over multiple processing units (at lower clock speeds) than it is to try and increase the throughput of a single processing unit solution with increasingly higher clock rates. Intelligent architectures with modern hardware / software designs are just a couple of the things that make this happen.

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah thats what I thought ;)
Yeah, I know mate! LOL! Having read my reply back, I'm sorry if it sounds condescending or c*ckish; that was not my intention and I get your point. :) It's just an area I'm extremely interested in and passionate about having spent 20+ years working with this sort of stuff in one form or another. :eek:

Mini JCW
http://www.pcr-online.biz/news/read...ing-console-ever-until-the-ps4-arrives/032504

Xbox One will be the biggest and fastest selling console in its history when it releases this Friday, November 22nd.

However, the retailer added that Microsoft’s reign at the top of the chart is to be cut short after a week, when the PS4 will overtake it following its release on November 29th.

The PS4 is currently number one in the pre-order chart for PC and Video Games, with the Xbox One in fifth.

The PS4 also claims the title of most wished-for PC and Video Game product, with the Xbox One third. Call of Duty: Ghosts for the Xbox 360 sits between the consoles in second.

Amazon has released the details as it prepares pre-ordered Xbox One consoles for dispatch.

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
The PS4 also claims the title of most wished-for PC and Video Game product, with the XboxOne third. Call of Duty: Ghosts for the Xbox 360 sits between the consoles in second.

Who the f*ck is wishing for Call of Duty: Ghosts?

That genie must be laughing his tits off.

Nippy white cup
Yeah, I know mate! LOL! Having read my reply back, I'm sorry if it sounds condescending or c*ckish; that was not my intention and I get your point. :) It's just an area I'm extremely interested in and passionate about having spent 20+ years working with this sort of stuff in one form or another. :eek:

lol not at all m8...its good to have someone commenting who actually know what they are talking about tbh :)

Revels Mum & Sister
I love Sharky he is dweemy! Also seems to know WTF he is talking about. A rarity for CS ;) I enjoy reading his posts.