ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Next Generation Consoles

Titanium 182
Don't get me wrong, the Xbox 360 is a great console and I have lots of time for it. Just the signs are worrying, as they seem to be focusing more on making it a home media hub. I also hate all the ads on the recent dash - if you're paying for a Live sub, you shouldn't have to see these as well!

The PS4 sounds very encouraging as Sony seem to want to make it appeal to core gamers. I get the feeling Microsoft are going to focus a lot on Kinect this time around, and I just don't fancy that.

I have to say I'm pretty platform-agnostic. If both consoles turn out to be crap I'll just plug my laptop into my TV, and an Xbox 360 pad into my laptop and play that way instead.

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
Tbf the 360 is already a home media hub. I use Netflix on there, NBA Game Time, stream to it with TVersity. Gaming is pretty secondary at the mo. PC gaming ftw.

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
Don't get me wrong, the Xbox 360 is a great console and I have lots of time for it. Just the signs are worrying, as they seem to be focusing more on making it a home media hub. I also hate all the ads on the recent dash - if you're paying for a Live sub, you shouldn't have to see these as well!

What was the PS3? It was marketed as being the ultimate in home media hub (albeit a flop).

What makes you think the PS4 will be marketed in any other way? Sony haven't even released a picture of the unit yet.

If anything the Microsofts future is looking great and Sonys is looking massively concerning. If Sony drop a bollock this time round then I can see them pulling out of the market.

Everyone I know will be buying the new Xbox. Only those with no friends, too much money, risk takers or Microsoft haters will punt for the Sony.

Titanium 182
The PS3 was terrible in a lot of ways. This is why I think Sony will get it right this time - they've learnt that people want to use their consoles for gaming. Microsoft, worryingly, seem to still be going down the route of Kinect, apps, media etc. My hunch is that they've become a bit complacent after the massive success of the 360 (which has been my favourite console, ruined by the shift of focus of the last couple of years).

I hope I'm wrong, but on the limited information available, the PS4 looks best at the moment. MS will have to pull something amazing out of the bag to get my money.

MKV R32
The PS3 was terrible in a lot of ways. This is why I think Sony will get it right this time - they've learnt that people want to use their consoles for gaming. Microsoft, worryingly, seem to still be going down the route of Kinect, apps, media etc. My hunch is that they've become a bit complacent after the massive success of the 360 (which has been my favourite console, ruined by the shift of focus of the last couple of years).

I hope I'm wrong, but on the limited information available, the PS4 looks best at the moment. MS will have to pull something amazing out of the bag to get my money.

You honestly think if the PS4 was a gaming only system it would sell? I use the xbox for everything excluding Movies which the PS3 gets used for (the most expensive bluray player ever). Oh yeh i forgot 'they've learnt that people want to use their consoles for gaming' so nobody bought the PS3 because it had a bluray player then?

And the limited info is because nothing has been released. Trouble is PS4 cou;d be the most amazing console ever, but the controller will always be a let down :(

Titanium 182
Have you not seen the PS4 controller? Looks loads better. The triggers are more like the 360 pad so look more comfortable, for example.

I was talking about limited info about the next Xbox. Sony have already unveiled the PS4 and there's a lot of information about that already.

Titanium 182
Also, the PS3 and Xbox 360 have pretty much sold the same amount in the end. That's not bad for a console that had a botched launch and released a year later...

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
Looks can be deceiving mate and I'd hope that Sony might finally get it right after 15 years of trying.

Sony were always going to release details about their new console first after the disastrous start the PS3 had. The PS4 unveiling was widely deemed a flop as it was hardly groundbreaking.

Regarding sales, yes they have sold similar numbers (PS3 would have sold far less if the XBOX had a BD which is expected this time round) but when you consider the numbers of XBOX’s vs. the number of PS2’s sold then you begin to understand the kind of impact the PS3 has had on Sony’s foothold in the market. Unfortunately I can only see this decline continuing.

Worldwide sales figures
  1. PlayStation 2 – 150 million as of 31 January 2011
  2. Xbox – 24 million as of 10 May 2006

Worldwide sales figuresOverall, the Wii outsold its competitors worldwide.
  1. Wii – 99.38 million as of 31 December 2012
  2. PlayStation 3 – 70 million as of 4 November 2012
  3. Xbox 360 – 75.9 million as of 31 December 2012

Titanium 182
After 15 years of trying? I thought both the PS1 and PS2 were unqualified successes, myself. They certainly wiped the floor with anything else from those generations, sales-wise.

Titanium 182
Anyway, I'm starting to sound like a Sony fanboy now, of which I most certainly am not. The PS3 is the first Sony console I've owned and it's ok, I guess. I wouldn't have paid top dollah for it.

I just have a feeling about the PS4 - we shall see. :D

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
You're only as good as your latest release.

TBH it's always going to be difficult competing (longterm) against the giant that is Microsoft.

Titanium 182
You're only as good as your latest release.

TBH it's always going to be difficult competing (longterm) against the giant that is Microsoft.
I hope not. Competition is what drives these companies on to make better consoles. If we're just left with the Xbox, they'll put the prices up to £60 a game, ban preowned and not make a new console for ten years.

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
I hope not. Competition is what drives these companies on to make better consoles. If we're just left with the Xbox, they'll put the prices up to £60 a game, ban preowned and not make a new console for ten years.
There will always be new players coming and going.

Sony dominated for 15+ years, I just see that dominance coming to an end. It was always going to happen at some point, nothing lasts forever.

One thing Microsoft have over Sony is years of software experience whereas Sony are limited. You want an IP stack? No problem, lift it from Windows, cloud save, no problem, cloud storage is available. VoIP? Yep. Mediacenter capabilities, been in Windows for years, port it. etc etc..

If you look at the entire product suite Microsoft offers its no wonder Sony have played catch up with PSN.

Mini JCW
Sony will still benefit financially from the success of the next Xbox due to it probably containing a BR drive.

I can see Sony withdrawing from the market, as stated, if they are unable to regain the ground they lost with the PS3.

Fiesta ST-2
Isn't GTA V due in September? What's gonna happen there then? Everybody will be getting their new consoles and not playing GTA. Unless ofcourse, they fetch it out on the new console, though I've heard nothing of this happening?

Mito Sportiva 135
The new Xbox probably won't have backwards compatibility - which is annoying but not a deal breaker for me.

Lots of people are put off the new Xbox as it is apparently going to need to be online all the time - but I think in 5 years time people will find it strange this was even an issue.

For me it's all about the games though and I've really enjoyed my Xbox and 360 so will probably get the new one.

Titanium 182
Lots of people are put off the new Xbox as it is apparently going to need to be online all the time - but I think in 5 years time people will find it strange this was even an issue.
I think people have more of a problem with WHY it needs to be online all the time. The rumours are that they'll block preowned games by licensing each game to your console the first time you play it (and have to mandatorily install it first). The always-online connection will constantly connect to Microsoft's servers to verify you are still playing 'legitimate' games.

This and the constant annoying advertising on the Metro-style dash on the Xbox 360 has really turned me off the next Xbox. I've never been a Sony fan before, but the PS4 is definitely starting to look like the console to get. It's a massive shame as I bummed the 360 big-style, but the loyalty they had from me has almost dissipated completely.

Mito Sportiva 135
I can kind of understand why they are trying to ban used games as publishers don't get any revenue from them. Given the choice I would rather always buy new full games rather than half games with everything sold as extra DLC.

​Although, of course, I can see publishers trying to do both...

Titanium 182
I can kind of understand why they are trying to ban used games as publishers don't get any revenue from them. Given the choice I would rather always buy new full games rather than half games with everything sold as extra DLC.

​Although, of course, I can see publishers trying to do both...
Publishers already do both.There's so much 'DLC' that's actually locked away on the disc from the start - it's disgraceful, frankly.

I usually always buy new anyway, but that's not really the point. If used games are blocked then there are fewer people trading stuff in to buy the latest games. Therefore we'd see sales figures go down, and only the biggest blockbusters (CoD, Fifa etc) would ever get released as publishers wouldn't want to take a risk on anything other than a guaranteed success.

I think people have more of a problem with WHY it needs to be online all the time. The rumours are that they'll block preowned games by licensing each game to your console the first time you play it (and have to mandatorily install it first). The always-online connection will constantly connect to Microsoft's servers to verify you are still playing 'legitimate' games.
Until an official announcement is made I wouldn't believe anything you read on the web.

Titanium 182
Until an official announcement is made I wouldn't believe anything you read on the web.
It's the same places I read most of the leaked PS4 specs etc, and they turned out to be pretty spot on. You have to read the credible sources, not just any old rubbish.

Mito Sportiva 135
Yeah a few good sources seem to think you will always need an online connection for the new Xbox.

F82 M4
Looks can be deceiving mate and I'd hope that Sony might finally get it right after 15 years of trying.

Sony were always going to release details about their new console first after the disastrous start the PS3 had. The PS4 unveiling was widely deemed a flop as it was hardly groundbreaking.

Regarding sales, yes they have sold similar numbers (PS3 would have sold far less if the XBOX had a BD which is expected this time round) but when you consider the numbers of XBOX’s vs. the number of PS2’s sold then you begin to understand the kind of impact the PS3 has had on Sony’s foothold in the market. Unfortunately I can only see this decline continuing.

Worldwide sales figures
  1. PlayStation 2 – 150 million as of 31 January 2011
  2. Xbox – 24 million as of 10 May 2006
Worldwide sales figuresOverall, the Wii outsold its competitors worldwide.
  1. Wii – 99.38 million as of 31 December 2012
  2. PlayStation 3 – 70 million as of 4 November 2012
  3. Xbox 360 – 75.9 million as of 31 December 2012

Figures are a bit out of date mate, Sony have sold more PS3's than Microsoft have 360's, and the PS3 was launched a year later than the 360.

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2013/01/10/report-ps3-surpasses-xbox-360s-worldwide-shipped-total

Evo 5 RS
The PS3's downfall was that the cell processor was both massively unnecessary and ahead of its time. We've seen what it's capable of with games like Uncharted, but the development time is ludicrous. It was the same with the Emotion engine within the PS2.

This time however they have listened to the people that matter and put money in the right areas, so people might be surprised this time round. That's not to say the 720 will be any less of a success, just that this time it's any ones game. As long as PSN is finally over its own bumps in the road.

Mito Sportiva 135
JJ - there's probably not going to be backwards compatibility for either console anyway, if it makes it any easier!

There was a good article on Metro's Gamecentral site today with the founder of Bioware who left the games industry last year after disillusionment - basically saying the market now is in flux, where mobile gaming is sapping away casual gamers and console gaming model doesn't generate enough money for anyone to take big commercial risks, so he predicts (probably rightly) there will just be more sequels with prettier graphics in the next generation.

I hope he is wrong though - and personally I think the current gen has offered a far greater gaming experience than the previous one. Games like Skyrim, Mass Effect and Borderlands 2 were truly epic and not achievable on the PS2 or Xbox.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
Can't say I'd be bothered if it was always online. My broadband hasn't been down for a long time.

We went without for about a week in 2010 but that was due to cancelling sky ADSL and going to BT infinity (there was no migration system in those days for fibre), apart from that I can't remember the last time it went down, maybe when we were with Orange in 2007.

I'd still be surprised if it is always online though.