ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

newbie with a clio cup race car

ian-speedy

ClioSport Club Member
  clio cup race car
Been sent a few more :D

epynt1.jpg

epynt2.jpg

epynt3.jpg

182cup & 172 racecar
Good going Ian, took me back.

Much better than some of those silly single stages around air fields and farmers tracks. :)

ian-speedy

ClioSport Club Member
  clio cup race car
Good going Ian, took me back.

Much better than some of those silly single stages around air fields and farmers tracks. :)

Your right there , epynt is probably the best tarmac rally venue in the UK , the next round is back up there 3 weeks on sunday , can't wait :)

ian-speedy

ClioSport Club Member
  clio cup race car
I know its not a clio but my other rally car , a forest spec Mk 2 Ex works Golf fitted with a 2.0lt 16v that has similar problems getting good power out of them , has just been rebuilt after melting a piston back in December , people were telling me that 230ish HP was what I should be expecting ,

a396f9ee.jpg

been built to a very good spec , inc a S2000 spec exhaust manifold , and it made 249.4hp and 167lb ft torque this week :approve:

Its being fitted back into the car this weekend , and they are running up on the rollers , then fine tuning it on the road and i'm hoping to do a gravel event next weekend as a shakedown as I have entered the clubman rally GB next month.

Can't wait to try it out :D

ian-speedy

ClioSport Club Member
  clio cup race car
Spoke to Fred over the last few days and am heading up to his workshop tomorrow with all the bits I have for the new clio rally engine and he's going to build it up for me , this engine won't be as good as the golf lol , but hopefully can get it to around 240 hp :D , once its built i'll take it to Plymouth to the guys who dynoed the golf engine to map it.

Need to get a new ECU for it so have decided on a DTA and i'm going to get the digital dash they make as well , the Cup car dash is ok but doesn't give enough info at a glance , at least with the DTA one it can show 5 or 6 things at once , so rev counter , gear display , water temp , oil temp and oil pressure , with the cup car dash it only shows one at a time and you have to press a button to go through the different screens

http://www.dtafast.co.uk/XDash.htm

ian-speedy

ClioSport Club Member
  clio cup race car
If its yours he's doing now he said it will be finished in the next couple of days , then he's doing mine ;)

GW 200 with Cup pack
Promising looking project there! Ignore the pepople suggesting a clio doesnt make a good rally car... with the right suspension and chassis mods any car can be adapted to any discipline! I agree with Christopher. There ARE other classes... its not JUST about WRC. A clio will make a great nimble car... with sick PTW ratio :)

Clio172cup rally car
I've seen these xdash before, they run them in the c2r2 very nice price of kit and a lot cheaper than some of the top digital dashes out there :)

EVOgone

ClioSport Club Member
  Pink Cup Racer
Clio are great class car and a fraction of the cost of a Mk2, we regularly win the 2ltr class in our Mk1 and have finished in the top 3 O/A quite a few times.

Bolf engine... Thats a lot of revs to get 250bhp.!!!

Who did the manifold as im looking to get a proper one for mine....?

I know its not a clio but my other rally car , a forest spec Mk 2 Ex works Golf fitted with a 2.0lt 16v that has similar problems getting good power out of them , has just been rebuilt after melting a piston back in December , people were telling me that 230ish HP was what I should be expecting ,

a396f9ee.jpg

been built to a very good spec , inc a S2000 spec exhaust manifold , and it made 249.4hp and 167lb ft torque this week :approve:

Its being fitted back into the car this weekend , and they are running up on the rollers , then fine tuning it on the road and i'm hoping to do a gravel event next weekend as a shakedown as I have entered the clubman rally GB next month.

Can't wait to try it out :D

ian-speedy

ClioSport Club Member
  clio cup race car
8300 revs , so not that high really , my road car revs more than that in standard form ;) , the exhaust was done by Edwards motorsport in Slough , he did his time with Simpsons , I was going to get them to do it but they meesed me about for 6 weeks so I gave up in the end , someone gave me Edwards number and within 2 weeks the car was ready to collect , they made a manifold and twin box system for me

EVOgone

ClioSport Club Member
  Pink Cup Racer
8300 revs , so not that high really , my road car revs more than that in standard form ;) , the exhaust was done by Edwards motorsport in Slough , he did his time with Simpsons , I was going to get them to do it but they meesed me about for 6 weeks so I gave up in the end , someone gave me Edwards number and within 2 weeks the car was ready to collect , they made a manifold and twin box system for me

Was due to lowish torque figure good results must be a good spec. I would have thought you would get more from the clio, looking forward to the results.

ian-speedy

ClioSport Club Member
  clio cup race car
Was due to lowish torque figure good results must be a good spec. I would have thought you would get more from the clio, looking forward to the results.

Dropped all the engine bits over to Fred's yesterday , so looking forward to getting it back and mapped and see what it does , I'm certainly looking forward to getting it in the car with 60-70 hp more than I have now

EVOgone

ClioSport Club Member
  Pink Cup Racer
Dropped all the engine bits over to Fred's yesterday , so looking forward to getting it back and mapped and see what it does , I'm certainly looking forward to getting it in the car with 60-70 hp more than I have now

I went from 185 to 235bhp in my Mk1 and made the difference of 3or4th in class to 1 in class and top 3-5 O/A nearly every event.!!! The guy who runs my car spoke to you briefly at Epynt last weekend, said the car went well :) I have a Mk2 cup racer and converting like yourself for the future.

You getting a S2000 spec exhaust for this engine, this is where my current engine will benifit ?

ian-speedy

ClioSport Club Member
  clio cup race car
I went from 185 to 235bhp in my Mk1 and made the difference of 3or4th in class to 1 in class and top 3-5 O/A nearly every event.!!! The guy who runs my car spoke to you briefly at Epynt last weekend, said the car went well :) I have a Mk2 cup racer and converting like yourself for the future.

You getting a S2000 spec exhaust for this engine, this is where my current engine will benifit ?

For this engine I have been told the 182 manifold I bought will do , for the big power engine I will be having done with the steel bottom end and solid lifters I will have a manifold and system made for it as I wan't to get the most power possible out of it , looking to go to 270 ish HP.

I know luvvy, I know.

lol

EVOgone

ClioSport Club Member
  Pink Cup Racer
i want it back!!!

still got the pink one just had the engine rebuilt and off to the rr tomorrow. Its current winning the championship at the moment and is a lot faster than the mk2 cup car i have.

Fred you can have the pink onecar back but price begins with a 1 ;-)

EVOgone

ClioSport Club Member
  Pink Cup Racer
How much was the manifold? Definitely needed and would release a few hp im sure.

Google Ashford motorsport F4R on YouTube 280hp on the dyno 8 injectors .

For this engine I have been told the 182 manifold I bought will do , for the big power engine I will be having done with the steel bottom end and solid lifters I will have a manifold and system made for it as I wan't to get the most power possible out of it , looking to go to 270 ish HP.

lol

ian-speedy

ClioSport Club Member
  clio cup race car
Just been RR after top end rebuild today, 242bhp and 180lb/ft............ :)

Thats good going , i'd be happy with that in my car , whats the spec of your engine ?

I got my Golf back yesterday and took it for a spin around the trading est and i'm well happy with it , it goes very well , now if I could get my clio to go like that i'd be beating the WRC's lol :D

EVOgone

ClioSport Club Member
  Pink Cup Racer
Thats good going , i'd be happy with that in my car , whats the spec of your engine ?

I got my Golf back yesterday and took it for a spin around the trading est and i'm well happy with it , it goes very well , now if I could get my clio to go like that i'd be beating the WRC's lol :D

Spec is a long list but still has 7.8k limit running hydraulic lifters (ran for nearly 3 seasons never an issue)

Full worked head 33mm inlets
Custom Cat cam 11.5mm lift
Forged pistons 12.5cr
Etc
Etc