ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

newbie with a clio cup race car

EVOgone

ClioSport Club Member
  Pink Cup Racer
I spoke with Opie and he said only the following are really suitable for gripper diff LSD

Fuchs Syn 5 75/90
Motul Gear 300 LS 75/90
Millers CRX LS 75/90

Fuchs being the cheapest of these 3..

Millers CRX LS 75/90 - This is not recommended for synco boxes, i use the not LS version with my Gripper JC5 box.

ian-speedy

ClioSport Club Member
  clio cup race car
Gearbox was finished and sent out tonight so I will get it back tomorrow , they have fitted new plates in the diff , along with stripping it and rebuilding it again just to make sure its all perfect , so should have it running again shortly.

I won't get time to test it as I'm off to Tenerife on friday evening for 2 weeks , then I'm rallying a week after I come back so will put some miles on it on the road as its taxed and insured , the next few rallies are fast and flowing so it will be a lot easier on the car compared to the last rally

Clio172cup rally car
Good to hear your gearbox is finally sorted :)
Sorry to ask this on your thread but I've managed to sort a sequential(st75) and I'm trying to sort out the subframe and mounts now, does anybody know if I can just modify the subframe to take the cup mounts or do I need to buy a euro spec subframe?

M3, Cup racer'd 182
Good to hear your gearbox is finally sorted :)
Sorry to ask this on your thread but I've managed to sort a sequential(st75) and I'm trying to sort out the subframe and mounts now, does anybody know if I can just modify the subframe to take the cup mounts or do I need to buy a euro spec subframe?

I believe that you can alter your existing subframe but you'd need to alter the engine side as well as the complete engine and box sits lower in the subframe. Another thing that you'd need to look into is longer drive shafts if your running standard hubs and suspension.

If you was to go all out and get everything hubs/suspension it would cost you a bomb as not many places stock them, Rsports in London is your best bet to source parts. But be prepared to pay.

Clio172cup rally car
The box is coming with shafts lever and linkage, I've also managed to get hold of cup mounts, I did read on here that the euro subframe uses I different rear gearbox mount to the older spec subframe because of the different box, it looks to me that this mount goes were the twisted dog mount goes so no modification, but for the front I need to weld on to box sections to raise the mounts up to the height of the side of the block.
will these mounts not fit a standard engine?

Clio172cup rally car
Thanks for that but I've got the parts catalogue :) If anybody could send me some detailed pics of the front cup race engine mounting points on the subframe that would be really appreciated. I need to get this right because I don't want the engine on a wonk lol

M3, Cup racer'd 182
I wouldn't like to say if the mounts would fit onto the engine, however i can't see why not as i don't think they'd design a engine block just for the engine to mount to the subframe IMO.

Maybe someone could sent pics to confirm and show how and where they mount onto the block.

Maybe you could look in the parts catalogue to see if there's a engine block and cross refrence the no with Renault to find out if it's a std block or diffrent.

ian-speedy

ClioSport Club Member
  clio cup race car
I'm sure I have some pics in this thread of the mounts , I also have a spare cross member which I took pics of , I'm sure they are on here somewhere , you'll have to look sorry as I'm on holiday lol

Clio172cup rally car
I've had a good look today with the engine out and these mounts fit but only if I lose the power steering pump, so looks like I will be switching to a saxo/106 pump and mounting this under scuttle the same as the cup racer,
If anybody would be so kind and take the dimension of the front mounting points on the subframe? that would be really appreciated :)

ian-speedy

ClioSport Club Member
  clio cup race car
If you can wait until I'm back from holiday a week Saturday I'll take more pictures of the spare subframe and take measurements where they are

mikekean

ClioSport Club Member
  996 C4S, 135i, E30x2
Have you thought about just buying a subframe? i bought 2 for my cup racer last year from R-sport.. Saves messing about making one!

p@blo

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio/A3
I've had a good look today with the engine out and these mounts fit but only if I lose the power steering pump, so looks like I will be switching to a saxo/106 pump and mounting this under scuttle the same as the cup racer,
If anybody would be so kind and take the dimension of the front mounting points on the subframe? that would be really appreciated :)

You got the mounts aswell? Front two are JC5 fitment, rear has tube section welded in as the pickup on the box is a little narrower than a std box.

Can get you the dimensions on the s/f stanchions tonight mate. Comparing the euro/ph2 Cup racer to the std ph2, seems the same bar obviously the mount pickups & the rear mount holes being slightly larger.

Clio172cup rally car
^ I've bought mounts just waiting for them to arrive, so haven't had chance to look at the rear gearbox mount yet.

^^ I have though about buying a subframe but seen as im going to be strengthening it I might as well try and do it with the one I've got, how much are they brand new these days? I've seen a second hand one for 450 euros

mikekean

ClioSport Club Member
  996 C4S, 135i, E30x2
^ I've bought mounts just waiting for them to arrive, so haven't had chance to look at the rear gearbox mount yet.

^^ I have though about buying a subframe but seen as im going to be strengthening it I might as well try and do it with the one I've got, how much are they brand new these days? I've seen a second hand one for 450 euros

Well i payed just over £900 delivered to Jersey for the two and shipping was pretty expensive. But yeah subframes deffo need strenghtening, they crumple like tin cans. I have even thought about having a custom CDS one made up.

Clio172cup rally car
Thats not to bad, just had a look at the parts catalogue and it's only 435 euros new plus the exchange rate isn't to bad at the moment, I'll give rsport a ring and see if there still available :)

182cup & 172 racecar
Got one on the car already, trouble is, this was designed for road suspension, not rock solid track stuff.

Keep thinking.

ian-speedy

ClioSport Club Member
  clio cup race car
Any engine updates ?

No not yet , all the parts are still sitting on my office floor , been too busy , and with stripping it t sort the box out , and going on holiday ect ect , hoping to get it all built and dynoed in Aug

Great build

cheers

I know ;)

Sorry for spamming your thread Ian.

Don't worry about it.

I'm rallying on sunday in Epynt which is the next round of the Welsh Tarmac championship , I'm going to struggle to do well on this rally as its a power venue , so I'm hoping the rain they have forecast happens as it will give us a chance.

Had to change the rear beam in the end as it wasn't just the stub I bent on the last rally , its all back together now , going to get the tracking set up this morning , then someone going to take it for a spin this morning to put some miles on the new brakes and diff , will change the engine and gearbox oil , refit the sump guard , give it a wash and polish and were ready to go.

ian-speedy

ClioSport Club Member
  clio cup race car
Had a good day , finished 17th overall and 2nd in class , was a lot of fast cars out so was hoping for a top 20 finish so very happy with the result , I was lying 3rd overall in the Welsh tarmac championship but the Subaru leading it broke his front diff and didn't finish , so that has now put us 1st in class and 2nd overall in the championship now :)

Car went well , I seemed to miss a few gears yesterday so don't know if that was me or the car , hopefully it was me as I'm getting fed up of taking the box out now lol

Golf GTD Mk7
Well done Ian. Hopefully it wasnt the box, as we all know they aren't cheap to fix :( how regularly are you changing the sadev oil?

ian-speedy

ClioSport Club Member
  clio cup race car
Changing the oil after every event now , and removing and cleaning out the pin for the gear selector at the bottom of the box , hopefully that should keep on top of it .

My next round is in a month back up Epynt so I'm hoping to have the new engine in for that , anyone recommend me someone to put it together , I have all the parts , the way I am in work I can't see me having anytime soon to build it !

Golf GTD Mk7
Yeah I should be every event really. Does yours run a cooler?

TDF built my engine and it's been brilliant.

ian-speedy

ClioSport Club Member
  clio cup race car
Spoke to Fred earlier and all looking good , just waiting for him to look in his diary and let me know how soon he can do it

Here's a good pic I have been sent on facebook from the weekend :D

epyntrally.jpg

and one of the short stages I uploaded

th_MVIV0039.gif