ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

newbie with a clio cup race car

ian-speedy

ClioSport Club Member
  clio cup race car
lol thats an old video , but never tires of being funny !

Uploaded another incar last night , this was in the trophy rally on saturday morning , the second stage of the day , but stage 16 in the rally , we were leading the trophy rally at the end of this stage , which was my favourite stage of the rally , pity I went and bounced off a few walls on the next stage bending the front arm and axle making it too twitchy to drive flat out so had to back off from there on.

We had a small issue on the road section getting to this stage , and arrived at the stage last car , we caught 2 of them in the stage , the second car held us up a bit so could have had a faster stage time , not that it really mattered in the end

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7Snq8PkA0o&feature=youtu.be

ian-speedy

ClioSport Club Member
  clio cup race car
Cheers Tony , forgot to mention we had a very near roll , turned a square left and it tugged into the bank and drove up it , I thought it was over onto its side , gave it full right lock and some throttle and got away with it , just got sent a pic on facebook from one of the photographers on the bank , great pic lol

cliojerseynearroll_zpsdac01d7b.jpg

Clio 172
Cheers Tony , forgot to mention we had a very near roll , turned a square left and it tugged into the bank and drove up it , I thought it was over onto its side , gave it full right lock and some throttle and got away with it , just got sent a pic on facebook from one of the photographers on the bank , great pic lol

cliojerseynearroll_zpsdac01d7b.jpg

Caption competiton 'you can't leave that there love.'

mikekean

ClioSport Club Member
  996 C4S, 135i, E30x2
Bloody hell Ian, brown pants moment there. What stage was that on? We had a similar moment in trinity coming out of hairpin when my mate decided it would be a good to use all 300hp's in his BM, bounced up and down the banks for a good 20m lol!

Lionel Richie
shouldn't do as the engine is basically the same, doesn't seem as vicious through the gears though, camera is in a different spot mind

mikekean

ClioSport Club Member
  996 C4S, 135i, E30x2
shouldn't do as the engine is basically the same, doesn't seem as vicious through the gears though, camera is in a different spot mind

I'm sure there was a mention of Sandy Brown redoing the map though.. He prefers to go the torque route from what i've heard with these motors so may have been mapped for torque rather than out and out HP? I'm sure Ian can shed some more light on what Sandy did with the map.

ian-speedy

ClioSport Club Member
  clio cup race car
The engine sounds very different to before , only since Sandy mapped it , more noticeable at lower revs where he cleaned it up , its a lot more crisp , and more of a bark to it , it feels better above 6k revs to me now as well.

It was on one of the last 2 stages Mike , can't remember which one though

That's an epic capture Ian!

It's not unusual for engine note to change with cleaner mapping. With the engines I know well I let my ear tell me what the AFR should be at various speed/loads; the JRE Duratecs sound like the throttle's opened another 10% when they hit the sweet spot!

Little difference in power, but in driveability terms and the longevity of the engine's performance (engines running cleaner, run better for longer), it's beneficial.

ian-speedy

ClioSport Club Member
  clio cup race car
The rally wasn't the best for us , the first stage was very slippy and as I hadn't done gravel since Rally GB last year I was driving like miss Daisy lol , second stage was a bit better through Sweet Lamb

rally GB 2013 sweet lamb - YouTube

Was really p1ssed off Myherin was cancelled for us , it was done as they thought the stage would be running late for the WRC boys , we were only about 5 cars from the start line when they decided to cancel it , so we had to drive through the stage at non competitive speeds and cut through a junction to miss some of it out , they held us at the junction for 20 mins waiting for other cars who had gone through the stage so we could have run through the stage competitively , really poor decision by the COC and lost us 20 miles of the rally.

The second day put an end to our rally , about 500 yds into the first stage of the day we snapped an output shaft in the gearbox , doing some digging around on the internet we found someone on ebay that was selling some in nottingham and we could go and collect them, so Ben went and got them and got back around 2am , I got up at 3am to change it only to find he had given us the wrong parts , so that was our rally over.

Not the best of rallies for us , the road mileage was a pain in the ass , and stage very rough and cut up so the cars had a hiding even with the little mileage we did ,

Will get the Clio ready now as I have an entry in Pembrey on 29th Dec

Cheers Ian

182cup & 172 racecar
Hate it when they just seem to disregard people further down the field like that.

Seems like they treated the spectators the same.
End up having 10 wrc cars and no spectator's soon.
Unkucky mate.

ian-speedy

ClioSport Club Member
  clio cup race car
No not really , its with a guy who making me an upright hydraulic handbrake at the mo , can't seem to get the original one to work properly , and rather botch an off the shelf one to fit I'm having one made to fit my car in the place I want it.

Should have it ready to pick up at the end of the week , then I need to sort out whats bent on the front after Jersey , then fit new bumpers front and rear , I have already changed the axle , but didn't see until it was fitted that Pure do a strengthening kit so will order one of those and weld it in place before Pembrey , they seem to bend so easy.

I'm going to be selling my Golf now and am looking for an N11/12 Impreza to use in the woods next year , and stick with the clio on tarmac

Nothing more really to report on lol

Clio172cup rally car
You put entree in for pembrey? Didn't think you where doing single venues anymore ;) I've put entree in but I'm 3rd reserve so hopefully I'll get a spin!!

ian-speedy

ClioSport Club Member
  clio cup race car
Wasn't going to bother but my son is doing it in his 205 , and a couple of mates are also doing it so decided to blow off the cobwebs over christmas and do it myself.
I was going to do the loco stages but changed my mind , won't be using it until Epynt and West Cork in March then , but hopefully can sort out an impreza to do the Wyedean in Feb

ian-speedy

ClioSport Club Member
  clio cup race car
I did start a thread earlier in the engine section as I am selling the solid lifter kit I bought to have an ultimate engine built but have changed plans now , and someone has moved the thread to god knows where as I can't see it now.

anyway , I'm not going to have a new engine built now , so the kit I bought from cat cams is now for sale , it comes with the solid lifters , cams , springs , verniers ect , and retails for £3000 + vat , looking for £2500 Ono

cheers Ian

ian-speedy

ClioSport Club Member
  clio cup race car
What's the cam spec Ian?

, The cams are CCK4088 inlet and CCK4089 on the exhaust

This is whats on the box , and pics of it all

null_zpsb3d69fb4.gif

null_zps44863a04.gif

These are a pair of followers and solid lifters built up

null_zps51cd69df.gif

null_zps527dba35.gif