ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Newbie saying hello/advice please

Fiesta Zetec S (for sale)

Hi all, been lurking for a few days now so thought it was about time I pulled on the latex gloves and got involved.:)

Anyway, Im a 32-year-old, soon to be married bloke who lives with his lovely, soon to be wife in a small town called Dumbarton on the outskirts of Glasgow. Dumbarton is on the doorstep to some of the best driving/riding roads in the Scotland IMO which is kinda why we moved here a year ago. Both the missus and I are keen bikers, I ride a GSXR600 and shes got a lovely VFR400. USed to do a lot of trackdays at Knockhill but had a spill in 02 so now take things a bit easier.

Anyway, for a while now Ive had my eye on a Clio Cup. Since I first read about them in 02 I thought I liked the whole idea of a car designed specifically as a drivers car but still remaining useable as an everyday car. On Sunday the other half and I went up to Stirling and test drove one. TBH I was really very impressed by it, steering felt great, built quality looked very good, the engine was a dream, pulling cleanly from low revs and the engine noise when it really got going...well, you know:eek:

So Im prolly gonna go up in the next few days and sign up for it, Im just wondering if there is anything I should look out for or mention up front. The car is a 53 plate with delivery mileage, apparently the dealership bought a load of em a year ago and they only have a few left. Its probably been sitting for a while too and Im a bit worried that the standing might not have done it any good.

Any hints or tips you guys and gals can offer Id be mighty chuffed to hear.

Craig

320d M Sport

hi and welcome.

shouldnt really have any problems if its brand new? Expect the exhaust to start rattling soon though (around 4000rpm). Thats a warranty job and happens on all 172!

Other than that just look out for banging under wheelspin (most do that as well).

Hi craig,

I just had my cup just over a week and although Im still "running it in" I think it is brilliant.

Dont want to start the whole 172 v cup debate again but here are my reasons for choosing the cup.

1) most important - cost

2) the car was there and I could take delivery quickly

3) Air con - who cares in britain (esp scotland)... 1 or 2 weeks of really hot weather!!

4) loads of mileage telling people about the thin glass (which amazes most people)and the whole racing hybrid thing.

5) nicer wheels than the 172

6) quicker

The lack of abs was a concern at first but then I thought "Im a sensibilish sort of driver, If its wet or slidey Ill just drive sensibly". So far ive found my brakes to be spot on.

The only thing Id watch out for specifically is that when I picked up my car it had no puncture repair foam... didnt notice till I got home. Make sure its there when you pick it up.

Mine was a preregistered car (so had been lying around for a while) but Ive had no problems.

Hope this helps making up your mind,

Cheers,

Degars

Ps I lived in Glasgow for 23 yrs and know Dumbarton well. Since moved to Notts.

I have one and love it:

things to watch out for:

no front splitter (plastic & black at the nottom of the front bumper)
leaks - wheel well and under passenger seat, also under rear seats.
Clunking under lock is normal, renault have a fix out for it.
4k revs rattle is fixable too
locking wheel nuts should be there.
rear luggage net

thats about it.

you should love it.

I do. 50k miles in 18 months tells you how much.

/y0z

Fiesta Zetec S (for sale)

Thanks for the hellos and the info folks.:)

Another question if you may, does anyone use 95 RON fuel in their 172/182? Am I recommended to use 98RON?

Cheers, Craig.

Clio Dci

i know it sounds daft but also make sure it has got the cup172 badges on the a frames on both sides. alot had them missing.

they really are great cars for the money.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member

Welcome aboard fella :D

Nice bikes - if only I hadnt sold my Triumph 900, Id have never bought the Cup...its the only thing Ive found that gives me (almost) the same buzz as riding a bike.

Got mine 28 November last year - up to 9,500 miles now and loving every minute!

Go get one...now ;)

Mark

I bought the cup for much of the same reasons that Degars bought his, although the stripped out more focused idea of the car was my main reason for buying . I came from a 106 rallye (but had a Bravo HGT for 6months in between) and the Cup is just the next step, faster and in my opinion miles more fun, but in the same vein as the Rallye.

Its a great car, and if your not bothered about Aircon and Xeons then its the car to go for. Ive never felt i needed teh ABS, as Degars says, i just moderate my driving when the conditions need it. I am amazed at how well it grips in the wet though.

I get a few clunks and rattles, but hey, its a 12grand car, if you wanted no rattles youd buy something german! You even get used to the clicking wiper relays after a while!

Max

Oh, and Welcome to the forum!

Ranter, Hi I know the Cups youre talking about - Arnold Clark Renault, £10,999? Im in Falkirk, having moved from Johnstone 2 years ago, so I know what you mean about the roads from Dumbarton, ace...

I ended up going for a 172 instead of the Cup, collected last Friday. I paid the same, but got a brand new 172 with all the toys (leather, air con, ABS, etc) that the Cup doesnt have. I felt it suits me better for my driving. If youre interested check out http://www.motorpoint.co.ukwww.motorpoint.co.uk - theyve got a branch in Glasgow (SE near the zoo) and are selling 172s for £10,999, or 182s for £11,699. 0141 588 2030. Fair enough, theyre mostly imports but not always (mines a UK car) and theyre no different to UK cars anyway. So if youre worried about damaged caused by having a car sitting around, check out that site.

Email me if you need more info.

Clio 197

Buy it. I have 12000 km on my Ragnotti, of which a lot were racked up on the Nurburgring. Ive replaced the front brake pads and tyres, but no other expenses.

williams and trophy

welcome mate...

a bit biased..but my advice is .save urself £6k n go get a mint willy hehe