ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New MOT Additions (ATTENTION: All with removed headlight washers!)

PH1 172
So let me get this straight......if you have an aftermarket wheel which means you don't have the drivers airbag anymore....the car will fail the MOT?

Also if you have aftermarket seats with harnesses that are properly bolted in the car you will still get a fail?

If the above answers are yes............. :(

BMW M135I
The document states

" Illumination of malfunction indicator light (MIL) for electronic power steering, electronic stability control, electronic park brake control, brake fluid warning lamp, tyre pressure monitoring system and air bag/ pre-tensioner "

Doesnt this basically mean if the airbag light is illuminated on the dashboard, and the little resistor trick keeps it off, so aftermarket steering wheels will probably be fine for us clio owners?

2004 182FF
My dad used to post off £20 to some garage in North Wales and get an MOT certificate back. Not quite the same nowadays.

mondeo titanium tdci
Happy days then this means my mot tester at my place is going to turn into a even bigger tw*t :dapprove:

Ph 1 172
"catalytic convertor missing"

Well mines not missing I know where it is, it's in a box in my shed at the end of my garden so I should be fine on that one lol. Seriously how much will this hinder most people on this site? Some might have to raise the coilovers and that be about it

DaveDreads

aka Philomena Cunk aka Barry Shitpeas
ClioSport Club Member
In reality i'd say aftermarket steering wheels will be a problem as the factory aitbag has been f*cked off,
I wonder if that applies to curtain airbags in the seats? Anyone with aftermarket seats might have a problem.

But f*ck knows, I bet even the MOT garages will have a hard time figuring out what mods are
ok and what ones aren't

LY 172
just for some personal clarity. on headlights. they say "self leveling" . does the little wheel that adjust the height (buy the drivers right knee) count as this ?

or are they on about a more modern automatic version?

M3, Cup racer'd 182
After reading all these comments with no one asking.

I'm thinking of incorporating a CAF into my standard xenon headlight by getting rid of the main beam and sidelight only on the n/s. My question is would this fail a mot?

Cheers

V70 d5 beast
well if your removing the main beam and sidelight ofc it will fail...they are both needed for the mot
just fit it after the mot :)

172 Race Car
All this talk of bent mot's surprises me. I used to be a tester and we had a guy from the ministry spot checking garages near us. Basicly checking cars that had just been through an MOT.

Testers taking a MASSIVE risk. Id never do a dodgy test, yea you can be lenient for mates as a lot of the mot test is a matter of opinion when it comes to worn components etc.

But it aint worth going to prison for a crate of stella

All this talk of bent mot's surprises me. I used to be a tester and we had a guy from the ministry spot checking garages near us. Basicly checking cars that had just been through an MOT.

Testers taking a MASSIVE risk. Id never do a dodgy test, yea you can be lenient for mates as a lot of the mot test is a matter of opinion when it comes to worn components etc.

My thought also, and posting on the Internet about your dodgy MOT is full of win too.....

Insurnace non-payout FTL

M3, Cup racer'd 182
well if your removing the main beam and sidelight ofc it will fail...they are both needed for the mot
just fit it after the mot :)

That's what I thought, the reason i asked the stupid question coz i was told by some1 that there is no rule stating that a car should have two sidelights an two mainbeams but if they do they should work.
I also asked a few mot stations with them saying they don't know so thought I'd ask here.

Maybe Jay Payne could tell me being a ex mot tester

TrackCar & F30 330d
I think i must be getting old as i cant be arsed with getting one of my cars through a dodge MOT or worrying about if failing on silly things. I think i took my clio off the road at the right time.

M3, Cup racer'd 182
You must have a pair of front headlights for a class 4 vehicle

I would have two headlights, but one having no mainbeam and sidelight but still able to use dipped headlight's.

Sorry for all this petty argument you both might be right an the guy that told me was just giving me bulls**t information lol

Clio 182
Does this mean crappy aftermarket HID kits fitted to non HID ready cars are an mot fail or not? Takes the piss if not.

Lionel Richie
This will all boil down to the tester who does the MOT, and we all know it depends on what mood the tester is in

I sent a customers car for MOT and i thought it would fail as the front wheel bearing was proper hooky, it passed without even an advisory!! (i changed the bearing anyway)

I sent my Volvo to the same place the next day, if failed on a cracked number plate and a bulb!!!

stupid system! Thank god for dodgy dave!

260% JCW
IMO it depends where you go, some garages will be Anal, others are not as strict. I'd steer clear of the bigger MOT stations, in favour for a local garage you may know.

Alastair.

ClioSport Club Member
  986'S 172ph1+182FF
Wow didnt know that alot of cs members have dodgy M.O.Ts. I personally wouldnt do one as you can get fuked for it and loose ya job. Air bag thing, the light has to illuminate and go off after 5 seconds just like the abs light, and all visable air bag components have to be in place.

260% JCW
Wow didnt know that alot of cs members have dodgy M.O.Ts. I personally wouldnt do one as you can get fuked for it and loose ya job. Air bag thing, the light has to illuminate and go off after 5 seconds just like the abs light, and all visable air bag components have to be in place.

Hardly dodgy, just a blind spot when it comes to the CAT.

Alastair.

ClioSport Club Member
  986'S 172ph1+182FF
So your car fails the emissions test because of no cat fitted but its not dodgey to put a pass cert on anyway?

260% JCW
Dodgy as in not road worthy, the car is safe i.e tyres brakes ect. It just means the UK will be a bit warmer over the Summer.

So an aftermarket steering wheel would be a failure?

Clio 197

A guy round my way went to prison for it. There will always be the chancers popping up. As you said its just not worth the risk if i was a tester

WRX
Think if all this is true then the answer is only modify what you are prepared to put back on for that one day a year. Bit late for those that have already gone the whole hog.