ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New GoPro Hero3

Jamie86

ClioSport Club Member
  RS175,595,205gti,172
Brilliant video, especially the divers! haha

the spec does look very impressive!

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio
Go Pro always do awesome video's, the new camera doesn't look bad either.

Oil Burner
This just gives me the perfect excuse to put my HERO 2 in some even more dodgy spots. Not worth much now, so who cares if it gets a bit smashed up!

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
I really want one of these but I know it will probably never be used so just a waste.

May keep an eye out for a second hand 2 now that the 3 is out then.

don't
I'm waiting to see how much the hero2s drop in price before deciding which to go for, was looking at getting a 2 over the next month already so this is good timing

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I'm waiting to see how much the hero2s drop in price before deciding which to go for, was looking at getting a 2 over the next month already so this is good timing

I never use my 2s on full res anyway tbh as only use for trackdays so not much point me getting 3s really

I don't think there is anyone in the world that wouldn't want one after watching that.

How much are these going to retail for?

I would love one, but know that I'd use it at most once or twice a year which seems a bit of a waste tbh.

That's what cracks me up so much about GoPro's promo videos - they're insanely well made but you'll never get videos like that yourself lol

Does look a very nice bit of kit - especially the 720p at 120fps if you're into skateboarding or other sports like that - but to be honest for track days the hero 1 and 2 are more than enough

I think I'm gonna get a couple of hero 1's next year - one for rear out the back window, one for pedals, and then run a hero 2 or 3 out the front

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Agreed, its the lighting and editing etc that makes the videos so good, not the camera, lol

Im not convinced they couldnt have made at least 99% of that video on a Hero2 TBH

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
The wifi feature is essential, but as you say the entry level hero does the job.

No they can't - it's one of the big criticism's I had of their old promo video

They were advertising the 50fps feature - but there slow motion video was done using software that further slowed it down to 200fps - so it made really really slick looking slow motion snow boarding jumps etc.. all of which weren't possible straight off the camera, they were faked with software afterwards

They do make very very good videos - but I think sadly most people assume they're straight off the camera lol

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
The wifi feature is essential, but as you say the entry level hero does the job.

Yeah the wifi is a really good addition, I am just about to buy a few wifi backs for my older hero and hero2 cameras and am now trying to decide if I would be better off selling the cameras and buying hero3's instead, as the wifi back themsleves are fairly dear.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Yeah i nearly picked a few up in the states as they were significantly cheaper in a store i visited ($79)

But you'd probably be better off selling and rebuying.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Yeah i nearly picked a few up in the states as they were significantly cheaper in a store i visited ($79)

But you'd probably be better off selling and rebuying.

Plus if its integrated now, it means that I can still use an LCD back at same time as it having wifi I guess.

Do you know if the old lcd backs I have will fit the new camera?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Crikey, just checked and its only 200 dollars for the white edition which is all I would need anyway.

That is going to kill the value of existing ones!

Crikey, just checked and its only 200 dollars for the white edition which is all I would need anyway.

That is going to kill the value of existing ones!

Depends how they do the USD->GBP conversion - we never get things at a direct conversion, we always seem to get the "living in the UK sucker tax" added on

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Depends how they do the USD->GBP conversion - we never get things at a direct conversion, we always seem to get the "living in the UK sucker tax" added on

Easy enough just to get a mate in the states to buy and post over here TBH

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
Black Edition (top spec version) is $400, so about £250 ish.

But it'll be more than that when it gets released here, as said due to the 'living in the UK tax'.

Oil Burner
Has anyone had any experience of taking underwater "stills" with any of the older models?

in my very limtied experience of putting one in a fish tank - they need a flat lens to produce decent images. You could buy these on the old system, but they were pricey (£50-75). Not sure if they have sorted this on the new ones?

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

But it'll be more than that when it gets released here, as said due to the 'living in the UK tax'.

Remember nothing in the US has sales tax. So UK pricing isn't so bad when you consider 20% is tax.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
in my very limtied experience of putting one in a fish tank - they need a flat lens to produce decent images. You could buy these on the old system, but they were pricey (£50-75). Not sure if they have sorted this on the new ones?

You sure that wasnt just cause you were up close rather than cause it was underwater? (unless it was a very big fishtank)

Dafthead

ClioSport Club Member
  MB EQC
Got a mate in the states on holiday at the moment, asked him to pick me up a GP3 Black ed. - WIN

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
Can someone rattle off the specs? My browser won't load the video or pics.

[h=2]Optics
[/h]

• Ultra sharp ƒ/2.8 6-element aspherical glass lens
  • Ultra wide angle / reduced distortion
  • 2X Better low-light performance*
[h=2]Video (NTSC/PAL)[/h]
Video Resolution NTSC fps PAL fps STD Mode Protune Mode Field of View (FOV) Screen Resolution/ Aspect Ratio
4K 15 fps 12.5 fps NO ONLY in Protune Ultra Wide 3840x2160 16:9
4K Cin 12 fps 12 fps NO ONLY in Protune Ultra Wide 4096x2160 17:9
2.7K 30 fps 25 fps YES* YES Ultra Wide 2716x1524 16:9
2.7K Cin 24 fps 24 fps YES* YES Ultra Wide 2716x1440 17:9
1080p 60, 48, 30, 24 fps 50, 48, 25, 24 fps YES YES Ultra Wide, Medium, Narrow 1920x1080 16:9
1440p 48, 30, 24 fps 48, 25, 24 fps YES YES Ultra Wide 1920x1440 4:3
960p 100, 48 fps 100, 48 fps YES YES Ultra Wide 1280x960 4:3
720p 120, 60 fps 100, 50 fps YES YES Ultra Wide, Narrow* 1280x720 16:9
WVGA 240 fps 240 fps YES NO Ultra Wide 848x480 16:9
Note: *May require a firmware update on camera

• Video format: H.264 codec, .mp4 file format
  • White Balance: auto and manual
[h=2]Photo Modes[/h]

• 12, 7, 5MP resolutions
  • Burst: 30 photos per second
  • Continuous Photo: 3 photos per second, 5 photos per second, 10 photos per second
  • Time-lapse: 0.5, 1, 2, 5, 10, 30, 60 second intervals
  • Simultaneous Photo + Video:
    • 12MP + 1440p24 fps
    • 8MP + 1080p30 fps 8
    • 8MP + 720p60 fps
[h=2]Battery & Charging [/h]

• 1050mAh rechargeable lithium-ion
  • Charge via USB
[h=2]Audio[/h]

• Mono, 48kHz, AAC compression w/ AGC
  • Supports optional 3.5mm stereo mic adapter **
[h=2]Storage[/h]

• Memory:
    • MicroSD class 10 or higher required
    • Up to 64GB capacity supported
  • Record times will vary with resolutions and frame rates

Matt_90

ClioSport Club Member
  Sprint/climb 106 gti
Its something I will be buying I keep putting off buying the 2 now is perfect excuse to buy the 3! I will use it a lot for dirt jumping (mtb) and downhill aswell as anything else I decide to attach it to.

TTRS & V50

No s**t, try £350 ! Lol.

However most people have smart phones nowadays, so buy the top spec one, and sell the wifi remote for £50 and use the app !

LOVE GoPro's, however still haven't had the balls to buy one. Really can't see myself getting £300's worth out of it.