ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New Car - bought from an independant garage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
  172 cup
Ok so as per other thread had the car over a week now.

When I bought the car it had just had MOT done that day.

Now - Ive had the car down at NO Performance to have belts done which is fine this was discussed with the dealer and he gave me a slight discount due to this. However I had a service done with the belts and the most recent done by the previous owner was done 6k ago.

At the same time it was suggested I needed brakes doing also the problem Im now having with the exhaust may mean a new exhaust. So far inc brakes Ill have spent just over £500 and then the exhaust on top if it needs doing.

Where do I stand (if anywhere) with going back to the garage to complain??? Shouldnt the brakes etc have been noticed in the MOT???

Might be clutching at straws here but its worth a try

172 cup
Any warranty?

:eek: Nope unfortunately not, I read through it and it was pretty s**t/worthless tbh. Im very doubtful it would have covered any of this anyway.

I guess my point is that I reckon a lot of this should have shown up in the MOT specially the exhaust if its blowing etc havnt they clamped down on this type of stuff? Also the brakes, I hardly have any at all lol so again this is something that should have been detected in the MOT???

330i. E30 Touring.
Yes, definitely. They should have at least been given an advisory, if they were badly worn..

Have you not had a look yourself to see if they're knackered? You should have checked when you bought the thing!

Meg 250/E36 Touring
A warranty wouldn't cover those bits anyway, as wear and tear.

Depends on the garages policy on what wear and tear items they replace when a car is prepped.

Seems the outcome will depend on the goodwill of the garage in question.

AMV8, Mk1 Golf
Ddepends if the brakes would ahve been an MOT fail or not, if not they wouldnt have mentioned it to you.

same as per exhaust.

Barge
The brakes might well have been an advisory if they're getting close to needing replacing. If they need to be replaced then it would have failed the MOT. TBF, I'd at least ring them and say something along the lines of "I thought this car had passed its MOT?"

172 cup
The brakes might well have been an advisory if they're getting close to needing replacing. If they need to be replaced then it would have failed the MOT. TBF, I'd at least ring them and say something along the lines of "I thought this car had passed its MOT?"

Yeh definately thinking this will be my plan of attack.

If the MOT gave advisories is the garage obliged to show me?

AMV8, Mk1 Golf
Yes, definitely. They should have at least been given an advisory, if they were badly worn..

Have you not had a look yourself to see if they're knackered? You should have checked when you bought the thing!

Chances are if they were an advisory they advisory sheet would have been binned, really needed to have checked the mot certificate to see if an advisory note was issued

Barge
Yeh definately thinking this will be my plan of attack.

If the MOT gave advisories is the garage obliged to show me?

The advisory ticket should have been with the MOT. If they don't they've witheld information from you which probably would've influenced their sale.

172 cup
Chances are if they were an advisory they advisory sheet would have been binned, really needed to have checked the mot certificate to see if an advisory note was issued

Ah didnt realise it showed on the MOT certificate itself just thought it was a separate sheet. Ill check that when I get home!

AMV8, Mk1 Golf
it has a box, will say "advisory notice issued" or something similar with a white box, in they it will be printed yes or no

i might be wrong but maybe you thinking the zorst is loud is what others would consider normal? coming from the 1.2 is a big step so maybe your not used to it?

maybe go in another 172cup with an OEM exhaust and see if it sounds the same?

172 cup
it has a box, will say "advisory notice issued" or something similar with a white box, in they it will be printed yes or no

Thanks hun, will check this later.

i might be wrong but maybe you thinking the zorst is loud is what others would consider normal? coming from the 1.2 is a big step so maybe your not used to it?

maybe go in another 172cup with an OEM exhaust and see if it sounds the same?

You might be right but Ryan @ NWP had a look last time I was down and said a part of it was rusted so prob would want to change it......

Laura, I have to ask, did you not pay less than 3k for this car? Shame that it is causing issues, but IMO you get what you pay for.

If I am wrong, I would definately go and complain. How far you get is another matter.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
TBH, it's all stuff you should of checked yourself. They are renowned for fubared exhausts!

172 cup
Laura, I have to ask, did you not pay less than 3k for this car? Shame that it is causing issues, but IMO you get what you pay for.

If I am wrong, I would definately go and complain. How far you get is another matter.

The car was advertised for £3700, I got a £75 discount as I knew belts needed doing and I got £650 for the car I part ex'd so no I didnt pay less than £3k technically

S3 Sportback, Ninja
You got £75 off the car because the belts need doing? Did you not know how much the belts were to get done?

Mk5 golf gti
i always ignore when a salesman says ill put 12 month mot on it
because they normally have there own testing bit
an pass some right sheds through
had this with alot of cars

Titanium 182
As if you didn't check the brakes before you bought it. Takes less than a minute. Could have used it for a haggling point to get more money off the car.

172 cup
As if you didn't check the brakes before you bought it. Takes less than a minute. Could have used it for a haggling point to get more money off the car.

Yes I did I took it for a test drive but it felt ok tbh.
Like I say Im no mechanic, Id have no idea what to look for or how to look for it apart from the obvious (tyres etc)

Titanium 182
Yes I did I took it for a test drive but it felt ok tbh.
Like I say Im no mechanic, Id have no idea what to look for or how to look for it apart from the obvious (tyres etc)

Brakes are more obvious than tyres. Slide a finger off the edge of the disc and see how big the lip is, if there isn't a lip they're pretty much brand new.

Should have got someone to go with you lass, could've saved you a few hundred I'll bet.

AMV8, Mk1 Golf
I bought my 106 rallye and the exhaust fell off on the way home lol,

wasnt even blowing when i bought it... just got louder and louder , then fell off, fail lol

172 cup
Right just only got chance to check the MOT cert and indeed it says an advisory note was issued.

Going to try and get in touch with the garage but anyone actually know where I stand with this?

AMV8, Mk1 Golf
unfortutaly you dont stand well, they may if they are nice offer to foot some of the work but i doubt it, ware and tare items, but thats what you get when you buy a used car

172 cup
This is great. Think ive been totally had tbh, just rung the business as its stamped on my purchase invoice and its gone through to a different garage, the garage is his brothers garage who has just confirmed his brother just have a business called AM motors so I ask why is my sheet stamped milap motors then which is his business......basically I cant get hold of the dude that sold me the car. The brother just said he will ring him (wouldnt give me his number) and tell him to ring me asap. Ive said you can tell him from me if he doesnt ring me tomorrow Ill be driving down there.

Barge
It's sneaky not giving you the advisory sheet. Had you seen that, I'd like to think that you wouldn't have bought it in it's current condition. IMO, ring them tomorrow, or visit if they're local. Be firm and fair... Say you wouldn't have bought the sheet had you known about the advisory items - say it's dangerous, underhand and sneaky for them not to give you it - as it'd of no doubt influenced the priced you paid and the sale in general. Don't get arsey, just state your point.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Don't listen to the pap on here. Ring Consumer direct.

As a dealer, they have to provide you with a car that is fit for purpose. If you think the car is not fit for purpose, you can ask the garage to repair it or at least contribute. If they feel this is not a route they wish to go down, you will have the option of taking them to court.

TBH, I get fed up of reading these threads....

you got £75 off for the belts needing doing? I need to meet the sales guy, he's good....

You didn't get the advisory sheet??

You didn't check the exhaust on a car that is notorious for s**t exhausts (and bloody expensive exhausts!)

There are 13,000 members on this forum and none of them could come with you to check it out??

Its like banging my head against a brick wall. CAR TRADERS ARE SCUM! out for a quick buck, opening and closing business every few months to avoid the tax man, avoid court summons and avoid anyone else they are trying to con.

Good luck anyway.

GR7

Shiny red R32
Laura, have you got a friend who works at a garage that does MOTs? If so, do what a friend of mine did who uses a local garage for maintenance work and MOTs but bought a "newly MOTd" car from a car dealer in Edinburgh!

As soon as she got the car home, she got her regular garage to put it on the ramp and immediately they found about seven problems that should have been fixed before issuing an MOT certificate.

The local garage owner, who is a friend of both of us, suggested that my friend ring the dealer (which was Reg Vardy at that time) whilst the car was still on the ramp and tell Vardys about the various faults that were found (including a bulge on one of the tyre walls) and the manager said it was MOTd by them that morning and therefore it was OK!!!

Our garage owner then spoke to the Vardy manager and said the car should not have passed the MOT and was therefore not roadworthy by his working standards and he suggested that they come and pick up the car and sort out the problems or he was going to contact Trading Standards like he did with a Merc that was brought it for similar reasons....!

The Vardy manager soon changed his tune and said he'd have someone pick up the car and bring down a loan car and within an hour a guy arrived to swap cars and the car faults were sorted and all was well.... so I'm not sure how this compares with what you have Laura.

Alastair.

ClioSport Club Member
  986'S 172ph1+182FF
Thing i would do if it shouldnt have passed an mot is ring vosa, they come out and test the car themselves. Mentioning this to them would s**t them up.

Status
Not open for further replies.