ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New Car (200 deals)

RB 200 Cup!
You're going to lose money on it, its a brand new car.

Buy it for £14k cash (Or loan whatever) and in two years time it will be worth about £8k. It will cost you about £6k to own the car for those two years. Plus you've got the aggro of trying to sell it afterwards.

Or pay £999 deposit, Lease it for £199 a month, hand it back and its cost you £6k.

Makes no difference.

Prob what Im gonna do with mine tbh

I actually cant decide whether to go through with this!!!

I want to soo much, but then theres the other part of me saying "do i Really need a new car".

I need to do some sums to work out how much ill be losing if I go for this deal, rather than keep the 172

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
I actually cant decide whether to go through with this!!!

I want to soo much, but then theres the other part of me saying "do i Really need a new car".

I need to do some sums to work out how much ill be losing if I go for this deal, rather than keep the 172

Sums are the best idea mate. It's not like you're stuck with it forever but would you end up spending 3k on the 172 in 2 years?

Probably not quite.

Sums are the best idea mate. It's not like you're stuck with it forever but would you end up spending 3k on the 172 in 2 years?

Probably not quite.
Sums that ive made up to yet show that the 172 will be £1600 cheaper over the 2 years to keep... But that isnt taking into consideration any faults and maintenance that has to be done on it as you cannot predict that.
So its either get the 200 and potentially be £1600 worse off (£800 per year worse off) and not worry about repairs, or keep the 172 and potentially save money, or could potentially end up spending more if luck doesnt go my way.

??? :S ???

i think its safe to say though, that over the next two years, something will need doing to the 172...
actually, thinking of it, in a year and a half, cambelt is due so thats £400 taking it down to £1200 difference already.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
What about tyres on the 172? Insurance on the 200? +/-?

What about tyres on the 172? Insurance on the 200? +/-?

Ive taken into consideration in my sums for both cars:
- insurance for both years (insurance is actually £300 cheaper on a 200, thats even with half the amount of excess)
- tax for both years (only 1 year for 200)
- 2x MOT for 172
- 2x Service for 172
- Actual cost of 200 fees over 2 year (around £5800) minus what id want for my car at the least.

Obviously I dont need to consider maintenance, MOT and Servicing for the 200. Over 2 years aswell, I shouldnt really need to replace brakes, tyres etc unless I drive like a tit.

I havent took into consideration running costs, i.e. petrol etc, as that comes out of my everyday living budget which would work out around the same, maybe the 200 being slightly more, but in the same sense, my mileage has dropped so it will be around the same in comparison to what it previously was.

Last edited:

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
Not sure if this will help anyone.

Essentially i put a lot of thought into buying a 200 on this plan, so did the neccessary number crunching taking into account all fees, depreciation, fuel, etc based on me doing 25k a year. Servicing is cheap for the Trophy as i can do it myself, 200 would need dealer as under warranty. Few assumptions made & doesnt account for the Trophy breaking.

Might help. Geek mode on:

Trophyvs200-1.gif

You don't need to tax it first year, that's included. Servicing is 2 years/12k, so you'll hand it back before any is due.

Harp, you have to pay some sort of 'new car buyers tax' or something s**t like that.

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
You don't need to tax it first year, that's included. Servicing is 2 years/12k, so you'll hand it back before any is due.

Harp, you have to pay some sort of 'new car buyers tax' or something s**t like that.

Ah, didnt realise 1st years tax was included. If thats the case, simply knock off the initial £435.

RB 200 Cup!
well ive upped the annual mileage on mine - reduces the final payment but doubt ill have the money to pay it off

unless the rents are killed ;)

Nissan 350z
How much is the upped mileage because at £0.06 per mile you could knock up 10,000 (22k instead of 12k) for £600. So if your upped mileage deal comes out more than that your worse off.

I think i'll just drive it like normal and see, no point me upping the mileage incase its un-needed so to speak.

Meg 250/E36 Touring
^
Lol at soft one, but yeah - only £23 per month odd more than a Cup as the GFV is slightly higher on these

Servicing on the 200 is not £500 a year either, try £150 a year.

And tyres would be £320 for a full set on Hankook V12s, but you wont need two full sets, more like 1 set of fronts.

Doing all my sums, over the 2 years id be £1200 worse off with a 200 Cup. But that doesnt include maintenance of the 172.

If I then go on to do the same as Sir_Dave and look at equity/depreciation, it works out that I would only be about £250 worse off, but thats if i were to buy the 200 after the 2 year period.

So basically, I personally am looking at potentially a £1200 difference between the two cars.

All the sums that I have done say that i can go for this deal!! I have done same as above, my monthly living costs, month by month incomes (i.e. when student loan/bursaries come in etc) and worked out my personal balance throughout the period.

Servicing on the 200 is not £500 a year either, try £150 a year.

And tyres would be £320 for a full set on Hankook V12s, but you wont need two full sets, more like 1 set of fronts.

Depends how it's driven I think I could make em last :rasp:

V6 255
easy to say this but dont u have to keep the mileage down ???
no point if u actually use the car frequently

The mileage allowance only kicks in if you want to hand the car back and walk away. If you plan on getting another car, or keeping it, then it doesn't matter;)

If you're a student you have far more important things to be spending your money on TBH.

True, but over the next year, id be better off financially getting the 200 than keeping the 172 (due to the sale money of the 172 and the lower insurance, lack of tax, mot etc).
This time next year, uni will be long gone and ill be in the real 9-5 world.

Mountune Tractor
Harpham - I think If you wanted it that much you would have made a decision by now, sounds as if you may regret it if you go ahead with it now. Too many ifs and but's.

Roy - the deal covers 6,000 miles/year so if I did 9,000 but went for another new 200 they wouldn't take mileage into account?

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Harpham - I think If you wanted it that much you would have made a decision by now, sounds as if you may regret it if you go ahead with it now. Too many ifs and but's.

Roy - the deal covers 6,000 miles/year so if I did 9,000 but went for another new 200 they wouldn't take mileage into account?

They will, but only when they value it. As they will be settling the finance so they are the ones keeping it.

If you go over the limit and buy another car from anywhere, the only way it will affect you is when they value the car. The finance company will only penalise you for excess mileage if you hand the car back to them.

V6 255
^^^correct. tbh, if you were gonna sign up for another/next gen Clio, they'd probably sort the numbers out so it would work for you ;)

The main "if and but" is whether i can afford to have it and actually still live, without having to worry about money.
All the sums are saying yes, so im going to be ringing insurance to check and then I shall be on the phone to speak to Richard to take it further. Its not something that you can just jump straight into, you have to do the research and make sure you can definitely afford it, as you are tieing yourself to £6k expenditure.

The only thing that worrys me about this is selling my car, as November/December will be the wrong time to do so as everyone will be spending money on xmas.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member

BAM - Exact reason I have finally decided not to go for it :(

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
You were never going to get one!! You've been dillying and dallying since this thread started! Worse than my wife... ;)

Harpham,

Why can't you sell it now and just bum lifts off people in the mean time?

Save some money then too! ;)

BAM - Exact reason I have finally decided not to go for it :(
As my post above, it isnt something im just going to jump straight into. Obviously got to do all the sums etc and make sure that it is the right thing to do.
I just take my time making decsions when it comes to spending large amounts. E.g. it took me about 2 months to eventually decide to get a MacBook Pro, which has been worth every penny.

You were never going to get one!! You've been dillying and dallying since this thread started! Worse than my wife... ;)

Harpham,

Why can't you sell it now and just bum lifts off people in the mean time?

Save some money then too! ;)

Would be impossible to get to Uni lol. I could manage if I wasnt at Uni as I can cycle to work or skank the odd lift.
I can use my dads car 2 days a week for my lectures at Uni, but cant use it for all of my lectures unfortunately :(

Although, come near to the delivery time and when it goes up for sale, if someone offer to buy as soon as, then id just have to miss a couple of weeks of uni and make do ;)

Mountune Tractor
The main "if and but" is whether i can afford to have it and actually still live, without having to worry about money.
All the sums are saying yes, so im going to be ringing insurance to check and then I shall be on the phone to speak to Richard to take it further. Its not something that you can just jump straight into, you have to do the research and make sure you can definitely afford it, as you are tieing yourself to £6k expenditure.

The only thing that worrys me about this is selling my car, as November/December will be the wrong time to do so as everyone will be spending money on xmas.

Totally agree mate.
It may cost you more in the long run to get the new car but think about the peace of mind it will give you. Not forgetting the fact you will be driving around in a sparkling new RS.