ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Naples MK1 Track car project

We're getting close... Idle issue now sorted and revs up nice. All the lights/electrics work as do all the 172 clocks...

After filling the coolant with water and finding an inch round hole in the radiator Adam had bought we fitted my spare, bled it through with water again to check. All fine with no leaks so drained the system then filled with coolant and everything is good. No leaks anywhere!

Took a while to figure out the high idle (2.5k+) and trying all sorts of sensors/parts from my engine, then thinking it was a vacuum leak. Turns out it was the throttle body grub stop screw had been messed around with (Well, its a Laguna F4R throttle body as we now know, so the stop might be different on that particular engine), after a lot of fine tuning and making sure the ICV was still good everything went fine - now idles fine!

[youtube]SaAKh7rFQUo[/youtube]

Will it be ready for FCS/Rockingham?!? Watch this space....

I moved mine under the passenger headlight lied flat after Whiteley found it that it would fit there, so Adam did the same too :)

Hes only got 3/4 days! He has got to drive it to Birmingham on Friday, then carry on en-route on Saturday to the hotel us lot are staying at for FCS, lol.

Trophy #473
Whats the post code of the hotel your staying at? I'll meet you all there. You going to be at Rockingham for 7.30?

Trophy #473
WTF, thats 20 mins from the track, you could have all stayed at mine for free as im only 35 mins from Rockingham.

Only about 15min really in the morning, lol. There is 7 of us on the Sat night anyways, then going to FCS, then 4 of us on the Sunday night for the trackday...all the others who are doing the trackday are there too, Andyrg/Jingo etc

Mk1 F4R
Cheers for the comments guys, not been on in some time as my pc has broke and ive been cracking on with the car.
As you can see the car is now running but its taken some effort getting it to this stage, had the cambelt and rocker cover off three times to figure out were an oil leak was coming from and it was a dodgy factor seal, so the solution was to buy genuine ones £25 from renault. Ill be doing a proper updade in a soon when ive got more time and a pc that works
Few pics of how it was lastnight

IMG_5037.jpg

IMG_5039.jpg

IMG_5042.jpg

IMG_5043.jpg

MOT is on wednesday LOL lets hope the car will be ready few little things to finish off ( lets hope it passes or its not going anywhere )

Last edited:
  RenaultSport 172
Looking good mate and glad to see it running too!!

Only problem is seeing yours, Foxy's and Whiteleys cars I really fancy buying a mk1 and chucking my engine in it...

Chav Rocket
i remember this going bang with me in the pass seat!

looking well now, good feeling when you start bolting on all the panels back aint it!

JDM Dc2
had a passenger ride in this last night round the block... its awesome altho a few niggly bits here and there which is to be expected after a 6month total car re-build period... cant wait to see it out on the road!

Mk1 F4R
Its been 3 months since the last update and ive just renewed my cs membership so i think its time for a big update

The dodgy idle issue turned out to be.. the wrong throttle body that was off a laguna and a bad idle contrle valve both have now been replaced and is fine.
Anther problem then arises leaking oil frm the cambelt, didnt know if it was the dephaser pully or the end cam seals as they were cheep GT ones out of the head gasket kit. Borrowed jords spare dephaser pully and timed it all back up, it was still leaking oil so went to renault for the new seals £25, cambelt off rocker cover was striped down everything sealed back up with the new cam seals in all timed back up and... it works fine no leaks at all.
The car was fine for a few days then i went to turn it on and nothing, wouldnt start so looking into the problem and it was the ecu and the emulator on the board had fallen off. This was a big problem as i had book the car in for its mot 2 days later, luckely wilky had one that he wasnt using, pluged it in and it started first time (Thanks for lending us the ecu wilky) i sent mine off to andrew cook to be fixed and he did a top job. The car then went for its mot and faild on the rear brakes and rear sill and a few other things 13 in total lol :dapprove: was really gutted as i had booked rockingham trackday the day after fcs which i couldnt go to but still went without the car, the following week after fcs i got on sorting the mot fails and got it to another mot and this time it passed,then straigt to the post office for some tax.
Had to lend jords blue bonnet as id cut all of mine out and had no way of mounting it, sprayed it black too lol. till i get my bonnet catches on my naples one

Id been driving the car round with a pillow under my seat as i couldnt see over the steering wheel so set about lowering the steering column

How it looked and all the wires in a compleat mess

IMG_5633.jpg

IMG_5064-1.jpg

IMG_5635.jpg

got a peice of bar cut and drilled in the right places, cut the old threads off with the grinder as they wasnt long enough and then drilled through the top all fitted together with 2 new bolts big washers and nuts

IMG_5639.jpg

as the wiring was out i did abit more trimming and wraping in conduit
what i took out

IMG_5640.jpg

Everything back in place, also relocated the fusebox
The driving position nw feels sooo much better :D

IMG_5644.jpg

Just a few pics of the car on its first outing

IMG_5655.jpg

IMG_5658.jpg

IMG_5673.jpg

IMG_5662.jpg

IMG_5670.jpg

IMG_5671.jpg

The sunroof has now been polycarbed and tigersealed in, found a big piece of 6mm polycarb when i was sleding so put it in the car and took it home looked like really good stuff. Few scratches in it but meh :cool:

IMG_5674.jpg

IMG_5678.jpg

Ill be doing another update tomorrow as the car has changed from wot you see in the last few pics and ive done 3 trackdays

Last edited:
  Mk1 F4R
The first trackday was at cadwell park 7th july, quite a few of us from cs went for rileys bday. What a fun 2 days it was, the car was fantastic over the 2 days with no major problems (the cars firts proper drive out, lincoln , trackday then home so put a fair few miles on it in 2 days) only thing that was mysterious was an oil leak coming from just under the manifold were the head meets the bottom end only noticed it as there was oil up the back of the bulkhead, it was drippeng onto the driveshafts and being flung round the bay, i thought it could be the head gasket as it wasnt a renault one, i had just had problems with other items not being genuine. Dont really know wot the problem with this was but its now fine and hasnt leaked since, bit strange if you ask me, ill be taking it apart over winter as i think the piston rings are on the way out (sometimes it smokes really bad and then other times its fine) anyway will find out soon.

The cadwell track is one of the best ive driven on, in the morning i was running the toyo s4 tyre and the car handle preity well

35692_410124471314_704291314_4980205_7051686_n.jpg

untitled.jpg

In the afternoon i thought i would put the r888 on the front to see wot there were like as ive never driven on them before and omg wot a difference it makes it was so good, dont really want to do another trackday without them :rasp:

IMG_1283.jpg

IMG_1258.jpg

IMG_1183.jpg

IMG_1167.jpg

More later :D

Mk1 F4R

no didnt wash then in the end just incase they did shrink lol just gave them a really good brush down and wipe down with a damp cloth
cant really seem to fit them back on properly when putting the velcro on, some bits are tight and some bits are really loose

Mk1 F4R
Since cadwell the car has changed quite abit, the naples red bonnet has now gone back on with aero catches fitted
the white williams wheels have been painted gray as i thought it looked to girly for a track car

IMG_6465.jpg

IMG_6419.jpg

IMG_6423.jpg

IMG_6426.jpg

IMG_6432.jpg

IMG_6442.jpg

IMG_6440.jpg

IMG_6441.jpg

IMG_6443.jpg

IMG_6446.jpg

IMG_6444.jpg

IMG_6450.jpg